Forums > Social Discussion > US/UK Political Correctness

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
This is something that I've been thinking about for a while. It's a bit complicated and there are lots of hot topics associated with my main point so I'll try to boil my main point down to one, hopefully clearly worded paragraph:

I find it counterintuitive that there appears to be more political correctness and sensitivity associated with Americans in some areas when examining parallel areas of US and UK society.

The US has this wonderful reputation of doing whatever it want and being generally horrible about how they go about doing it. Much of this reputation is rooted in or stems from fact and history. Yet, I am sometimes startled by some blatantly insensitive things I've seen in the UK that would NEVER be said/done by the parallel organization/group in the US.

Most of these things have to do with ethnic and racial sensitivities. I heard some things on Radio4 that made my jaw drop a few weeks ago. The topics were valid but the delivery was so insensitive. [One example I can remember was the commentators brainstorming as to why blacks are naturally more violent.] There are ways that topic can be addressed more appropriately but the language that the radio commentators used was shocking to an American like myself. I would NEVER expect to hear that from a parallel radio show in the US. The same with sitcoms, internet videos, newspaper articles. I also find it apparent in liberal communities that I hang out with in both countries. If you compare what I'd equate to be parallel communities I just don't see a sensitivity that I'm used to here in the US.

Obviously, if you compare apples and oranges, you can find a difference. I'd expect the Alabama chapter of the KKK to be less sensitive than the Sheffield Knitting Society. I'd also expect some American Shock Jock to be less sensitive than Radio4.

I'm not necessarily judging it. It just surprises me in light of the fact that the US is generally known for it's global insensitivity.

I have some theories about it but maybe I'll wait for some responses first.

[Disclaimer because this is the internet: I picked the US and UK because they are the two cultures I am most familiar with. I am only speaking from my own personal, unscientific observations and isolated incidents. I would be happy to hear of other experiences that would discredit my extrapolations. I consider the UK my second home and love many things about it. I thoroughly enjoy and support Britain, the British, and your mom.]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Stout

Yep..that's all I've got..problem is it ACTUALLY happened to me and ended up forcing me to change careers because of it...

I for one refuse to make skin colour or gender the number one priority when making hiring decisions, or voting.

Well, in UK legislation it would certainly be illegal to make skin colour or gender a priority in making hiring decisions. The point is it should be the same for everyone, we should all be judged on our ability to perform in a job (I think that this is important but I do understand what Dave says about this not necessarily contributing to 'equality' in itself. Some minorities do face issues concerning their access to education, employment and other services that leave them on an unequal footing from the start, which is not fair).

Stout, could you perhaps give a bit more info on your negative experience of discrimination? Why did it get to the extent that you had to change your career? I think it's really important to hear about these experiences, regardless of who is discriminating against whom. Personal insights help me get an idea of how our experiences generate different attitudes to these issues.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Well..out of millions of reasons at least you could come up with a few, especially the big ones,,, you know,, the one's that prove that white people are racist and please, don't insult my intelligence by citing the KKK or other such extremism in reference.

Maybe I'm a very very lucky person not to live in America. In this part of the world we don't have the wholesale racism that apparently Americans have, I just watch minorities go out there and get on with it if they choose to do so.

Mind you..we don't have anything that even closely resembles the New York ghetto ( as seen on tv ) Honestly...I wouldn't even know where to start looking for one. Vancouver has the downtown east side...Canada's poorest postal code..but most of the people who're there are there for reasons like mental illness or drug dependency, not because of skin colour. Seattle ? Portland ? Toronto ? San Fransisco ?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
I was working at Overmarine today, a boat yard that make multi million Euro boats... seemed that the majority of staff there all from different companies we minorities, i saw more there than any of the other boat yards where i get to work.

Seems that most of the minorities tend to take on skilled employment here at the docks, those that choose not too, sell fake goods on the sea front or in the cities.

But still that doesn't change the opinions and racism that there is here.

I was thinking yesterday, for those that remember how my ears once were, the amount of times i was turned away from employment was annoying, blatant discrimination white on white! confused just for having flesh tunnels and a few other piercings. That's why when ever i go for an interview now i wear long sleeved jumpers to cover my tattoo's in case they discriminate against me for those... so to me it seems that bigotry is not just about race, but appearance too... where as British law also made it illegal to discriminate against tattoo's and piercings... yet for me that failed and the government failed to publicise the matter to employers.
Also on the same note, i was at my Grandma's funeral a few years ago and i was verbally abused by my Granddads sisters partner because of my ears, he said that i was like those b.... bas..... in Africa, at my Grandma's funeral would you believe, again this happened once when i was working in a pub in Matlock... but she ended up kicked out and bared ubbrollsmile by me! dumb bigoted bitch.

Curly_SueSILVER Member
laughter is the way to get through life
179 posts

Posted:
If any one watches a programe in the UK called Top Gear (it is a car show but very funny, I think so and i am a girl) They filmed a show about the three presenter driving down south in different cars. all went well until they got to alabama, they had a task to try to get each other killed for a joke (which nearly backfired) They each had paint and had to paint things on each others cars. they painted stuff about man love ruling, and hillary clinton for president. they pulled into a petrol staion and were nearly chased out of the area. even the camera crew car was getting stoned by the yocals (and that is not stoned in a good way). It is terrible but I have never laughed so hard. Just thinking about it is starting me. ubbloco

Written by: KaelGotRice

America may be known for it's global insensitivity now, but so were the Brits and other European powers when they colonized Africa, the Americas, and Asia wink

They've had many more years of institutionalized hate and racism practice.

Granted, while you have neo-nazis in Europe, the whole white power movement seems to be based in the American South. I've seen worldwide websites/servers/forums for these things based in Alabama and neighboring states.

General rule is, people are farking stupid everywhere.

I fell down a hill once, got up then fell down it again.

ElentariSILVER Member
8 posts

Posted:
So I dont have too much of a background to be speaking, but Ill try giving my 2 c (or p I guess) in. Also, Ill freely admit that most of my UK experience is restricted to London and TV, which Im sure is far from representative.

It seems to me that folks from the UK are just more blatent about things... which does work its way into british humor, etc, too, as someone noted earlier. Its as if Americans feel like we need to be serious and be extremely careful what we say (we're barely teenagers compared to you guys, we need to prove ourselves or something), whereas maybe the British have gotten over that, and are almost the opposite. They dont seem to take themselves as seriously (thats a good thing, dont take offense please!) and are more able to just speak their minds. So maybe the differences arent in the actual attitudes held by the populations, just in how we act / what we say / what is socially desirable or acceptable. Not that Im pleased with what these "actual attitudes" may be, or wish they were more socially acceptable in the US, far from it in many cases, but nonetheless...

Sorry this veering a bit from the immigration topic youre at now, but just thought Id throw it out there.

"He had been 8 years upon a project for extracting sunbeams from cucumbers, which were to be put in vials, hermetically sealed, and let out to warm the air in raw inclement summers."
~Swift, Gullivers Travels

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Again, I'm only limiting my conversation to the very liberal forefront of both cultures. Perhaps this isn't the place to have that discussion.

I'm bummed that I chose to use the words "political correctness" in the title of this thread. It seems to have such a negative connotation that it's difficult to get over it.

I wish I had titled it "cultural sensitivity" which is what I really meant.

I think that there is a level of accepted cultural insensitivity among well educated, liberal Brits that I haven't found in the US counterparts. And even in this conversation, I would have been happy to be met with "NYC, you're just hanging out with the wrong people, we're just as sensitive as y'all."

I seem to be met with this very strange "we are superior because we have overcome tolerance."

I don't see it as the UK "getting over it." In fact, in many ways, I think that New York City might be at the forefront of localized global tolerance. (There are many other comparable cities that I'm less familiar with.)

I realize that it may seem that I'm way up on my high horse on this one. I don't mean to be. I'm sure we can all brainstorm on thousands of things that are wrong with America and New York City, and we'd be right.

I just wonder if, on this issue, those that are so tolerant on so many other global issues couldn't agree to be tolerant of cultures as well.

Bah, I'm gonna get yelled at but maybe somebody can make some sense of what I'm trying to say.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ubblol

awesome thread, NYC, pity about the multi derailments.

uk - personally highly sensitive, Locally insensitive, globally sensitive (in general, i'm ignoring tony blair and the UK government)

us - personally sensitive, locally sensitive (mostly) globally insensitive

i haven't got time right now, but i'll be back in a few hours to flesh out my opinions.

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bluecat

awesome thread, NYC, pity about the multi derailments.

uk - personally highly sensitive, Locally insensitive, globally sensitive (in general, i'm ignoring tony blair and the UK government)

us - personally sensitive, locally sensitive (mostly) globally insensitive

YAY! Well said. Yes. And again, as always in this thread, I'm talking very generally about educated liberals.

I think that there are very specific and even obvious reasons for it.

A few are:
-North America is really far away from the rest of the world. I think you kinda have to live hear to realize how little global news actually affects our every day life. French truckers going on strike isn't going to make our news any more readily than water being found on Mars. And will probably have just as little apparent direct effect.

-The UK is a midsized culture in a continent of equally midsized cultures. It's culture is distinct from the others and it has a history that is clearly defined. If a new culture emerges within or around Britain, it's an obvious intruder. In an overly simplistic sentence: The US has no definable culture. It's whatever shows up next. Everybody here is "us".

-Demographics. There is no cultural majority in New York City at all. Everybody's a minority. Some groups have more power and influence than others, but the cultures are still there and all somewhat 'native'. In a city like New York, immigrants are the culture, as oxymoronic as that sounds.

-Perhaps since the urban centers of the US are so diverse, by chosing to live in them you're essentially chosing to embrase cultural diversity. If you have no interest in diverse culture, there are certainly cheaper/quieter/brighter/cleaner places to live.

There are more. I should do some work. ubbangel

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: onewheeldave

In the UK we live in a society where minorites still do not have equal opportunity- no doubt about it- I can't speak for the US, but its seems to be not much different (NYCs post seem to suggest so).

Sorry, I missed this the first time.

Yes and no. There are clearly serious issues with equity. Theoretically, a minority student could somehow avoid all of the horrors of the ghetto, get straight "A"s and work their way out of the ghetto and become whatever they wanted. And some of them do. I think Chris Rock might have said it best: "America is a nation of B and C students. But let's keep it fcking real, OK? A black C student can't run no fcking company. A black C student can't even be the manager of Burger King. Meanwhile, a white C student just happens to be the president of the United States of America!"

With that said, among the educated, there DEFINITELY a sense of acknowledgement of this fact. February IS black history month. Martin Luther King Day IS a national holiday. There are government grants for minority business owners. Affirmative action is a hot topic but a topic nonetheless. I'll dodge it since there are more relevant and less controversial examples.

Oppression of minorities is very much part of our national history and consiousness. Those minorites are still here and some have since gained some level of respect, education, and power. In a very real sense, they are America. This greatly differs from the UK which perhaps views this much smaller and less influential popluation as "outsiders."

American culture IS Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Sarah Jessica Parker, Paul Simon, Michelle Kwan, Christina Agulera, Jennifer Lopez... etc, etc, etc...

American history IS Martin Luther King, Caezar Chavez, and even Pocahontas.

Perhaps there is a greater sensitivity because "they" are "us".

I think the British have a very clear definition of what is and isn't them. Perhaps with that definition, there may also be some judgement. Perhaps with that judgement, there may be some lack of tolerance.

Again, as bluecat is saying... I haven't heard much in the US in terms of Global Poverty Awareness.

Then again, perhaps all of the diversity and complexity within the US is what prevents us from being able to find a need to look abroad. We got enough problems right here. wink
EDITED_BY: NYC (1175093343)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hello NYC,

To help answer your query about why there seems to be more political correctness and sensitivity associated with the American media, compared to the media in other countries. I say it probably has something to do with to do with the religious immigration by Pilgrims and Puritans that colonised America in the early 1600’s.

To me, there has always been this double standard in the American media, compared to the rest of the population. By that I mean that the American media is driven to political correctness (censorship) that stems from a Puritan past. This was typified by scenes in American movies made during the 50’s where husbands and wives were forced slept in separate beds. (There are better and more recent examples of this phenomena, especially in regard to American comedy on TV, but none come to mind).

smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
[sic] finally, a pure anglo-american bred racism thread.... popcorn anyone?

You guys will work it out - I'm certain - just remember, before things get ugly throw in "holocaust" and you can get back together, knowing that both of your nations are a stronghold against discrimination and racism *starts humming a mix of both national anthems*

wink ubblol

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
edited as i dont want to get sucked into an online agrument like this cos i always end up getting angry.

NYC, good topic and interesting view, this is interesting for me to get someone elses view of the british media (which , as all countries,is terrible). i think these issues may in part due, as someone else alluded to, the generationally different viewpoints of some sections of the UK. Like someone else said, when i go to visit my folks and have lunch it generally involves racist and ignorant comments regarding certain sections of the community in the UK. it is ppl of this generation that broadcast programmes like those on Radio 4. It frustrating as these ppl may be decent ppl but they have their view shaped by their past and the media. Catch22.

ps: citing the daily mail in a debate like this is like citing "the beano" in a peer-reviewed scientific article

pps: daily mail........gaaaaaa....a window on racist middle england
EDITED_BY: biggins (1175149704)

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
post deleted in amused fashion
EDITED_BY: bluecat (1175179634)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Boo and hug to bluecat.

Too much to do today to post much anyway.

I'm sad that folks can't just ignore Tom's trolling.

Interesting point about television vs. reality in the US. I'm not sure that's quite the issue but it may be a valid symptom. I think that's more of a religious conservativism.

More later.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ubblol

i'm over it now smile

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
I can't really compare and contrast U.S. and U.K. attitudes on these matters because I'm not familiar enough with the U.K. to do so. But I wanted to chime in a bit on the way racism comes up even among liberals. Now, I've never faced discrimination because of my ethnicity (I'm of Chinese descent). By which I mean I've never been denied a job or housing because of it (so far as I know). What I have encountered, however, is more subtle and I think far more pernicious.

It usually takes the form of one of two comments:

"You speak English really well." I hope I don't have to explain how this comment is condescending in the extreme.

The other is "Where are you from?" This question seems innocuous until I answer, "New Jersey," to which the response is "No, I mean where are you really from?" At this point, I know what they're really asking me, but I respond to the actual question posed and say "I was born in New York but grew up in New Jersey." At that point, I either get an exasperated look or they then ask the real question, "What ethnicity are you?" or "What's your cultural background?"

Both of these comments are reflective of the same attitude: that because I'm obviously of Asian descent, I couldn't possibly be a "native" American. (The irony of using that phrase is not lost on me.) What I find disturbing is that both these comments have only been said to me by white people, some of whom actually consider themselves to be not racist and even P.C. I mean, Berkeley hippies! How much more liberal does it get? The thing that galls me most about the first comment is that it seems to genuinely be meant as a compliment. If I were a white American speaking the same way, nobody would think to make such a comment, it would be ridiculous. But I seem to be expected to smile and bask in the praise of my English speaking ability. And with the whole "where are you from" thing...well, I think that's obvious. And I guess what it reveals to me, is that even among PC/progressive/liberal circles, there is still an underlying assumption that "real" Americans are white. It should be noted though, that generally I've gotten these kinds of comments from people older than me. I think the younger generations "get it" on a different level.

It's just ironic when you consider that the white people here also, at some point down the line, came from somewhere else.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Off topic, but I want to say to that I've been caught asking "where are you from?" before...but I was actually asking the city! redface

I was talking to someone of a non-caucasian background, about some topic, and I said "oh, so where are you from?" and they said "[insert country here]" "...oh, sorry, I meant the city cos I figured you weren't from Melbourne" redface

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Oh Rouge, I didn't meant to imply there's anything inherently offensive about the "where are you from" question. It's just the attitude I get when I answer the question that was actually asked that bothers me. If they asked "what ethnicity are you" that would be perfectly okay, it's the assumption that I'm not "from" anywhere in the U.S. that irritates.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I get that.

I frequently get asked where I'm from cos my accent is strange. But I find that more funny than anything else!

ok, going off topic! hug

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
I am with NYC on this. To the extent I cant be bothered to outline all the ways minorities are oppressed/disadvantaged, sorry. If I even begin on the subject of immigration I will get my stomach all in a knot and be unable to sleep...

I am white( well, a little pinkish) , so I will only make one point, a little tangental but hopefully not too much so- in support of my arguement, Stout. I am white, but female, so I do know something about oppression and inequality.

In Canada, right now, women, on average, still make less then 75 cents on every dollar a man makes-- same job, same experience level... Still.That is, frankly, ridiculous. And then look at how few women are in management, how few in government, even er, how few in engineering... Correlation? And we are not even a minority per se. But we remain oppressed, despite some serious feminist efforts.

Just wanting to point out that the equal qualifications for a job is not something that has ever really been taken that much into consideration here. There is often an agenda on the part of the person hiring, other than simple qualifications. It is just when we are on the uncomfortable side of things - and dont get the job we want, that we notice.

I think giving the people the jobs through legislated opportunity is just the beginning of the plan for equality, not the end. They start out unqualified,learn, then get there, inspire others, gain some decision making power, spread the opportunites for minorities to gain qualifications... so on and so on. Over time.

But in the beginning we have to push for the change, demand the chance for all minorities to be involved and engaged in our democracy, and even support them to begin with. Otherwise, the white men on top who want so desperately to stay there will just hire those that bow to their will in the fanciest fashion.

Government has to represent the people, all of them, and then they can make laws that require that businesses are also in alignment with the good of the people- not just the desires rich or the status quo.

end of incoherant tangent. Sorry.

I actually wanted to write about how the British are so not PC- culturally sensative? whatever, about smoking. In Canada, you would never smoke in a place where the person near you is trapped- ie, a restaurant, or a movie theatre, music gig, etc. In fact, it is illegal in public. But more than that, it is just considered abominabley rude. Yet most of the Brits I know , even the vegan pacifist PC folk, think nothing of lighting up stinky deadly poison right beside you, even when in a situation when I cant move away. Whats up with that? wink

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: _khan_

It usually takes the form of one of two comments:

"You speak English really well." I hope I don't have to explain how this comment is condescending in the extreme.

The other is "Where are you from?" This question seems innocuous until I answer, "New Jersey," to which the response is "No, I mean where are you really from?" At this point, I know what they're really asking me, but I respond to the actual question posed and say "I was born in New York but grew up in New Jersey." At that point, I either get an exasperated look or they then ask the real question, "What ethnicity are you?" or "What's your cultural background?"

Most of my Asian friends have gotten both of those at some point. frown

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Why do you suppose it is rude in the USA to ask someones ethnicity? Why would that inherently exclude the possibility that the person questionning considers you American and still being interested in your ethnic background? Why would they hide the question within another?
*confused*

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
The question isn't "What's your ethnicity?"

The question was "Where are you from?"

Nobody would ever ask me, a white guy, "Where are you from?" when they wanted to know my ethnicity. They also probably wouldn't assume that I had direct ties to Italy or spoke Italian because I'm of Italian decent.

Some people tend to assume that all Asians are "straight off the boat" from Asia. This is why they are suprised that they "speak english so well" and want to know where they are "from". When, in fact, many are "from" America and speak American as their first and possibly only language.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
I think a lot of the people actually do want to know ethnicity and are not assuming people are straight off a boat... I think they are just asking it in a round a bout way. But maybe that is just in my circles.

I have never heard anyone do the you speak English really well thing though, that is astoundingly dumb. I think where I live is pretty different though- for example, Vancouver, the closest city, now has more Canadian of Asian origin than whites...So there is not so much presumption. The so-called minorities are now a majority, so it will be interesting to see how that changes things!

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Ok now for my two cents worth
I reckon that PC is oveverated not to mention that I'm about as subtle as a slege hammer to the back of your head.

I have always called a spade a spade and if I'm asked a question that could be interpreted as offencive I give the most non PC answer that I can think of at the time and laugh about it and i expecpt the same of others. I hate people that tiptoe around dicey subjects because you always know that there is something bothering them. Nor can I tollerate people that take PC too far because at the end of the day if i say or do something offencive you will know from the tone of my voice, the look on my face or the context of the comment as to wheather or not it was ment to offend you. One example is this black guy in london that blew me up for saying "yo yo niger wassup" and please bear in mind that we had spoken on friendly terms before this incident and we drank in the same pub every thurs, fri and sat for god knows how long, so I wasn't exactly a stranger to him.

I myself am of mongralized decent (mostly euorean/arab/south east asian) and as such I'm in a possition to mock and be mocked by all ethnicities and so long as people can tollerate my spade is a spade attitude and take it with a pinch of salt and a dash of humor then we can all get on famously.

Political Correctness has its place and that is in polotical and buisiness matters and it shouldn't spill over into our homes and social lives.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, i SOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo got a picture to post, but as it may be seen as offencive i cant post it frown

so i'll post this instead.......................

Non-Https Image Link

ubbangel ubblol

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
*zaps through the channels, dives into the sweet popcorn and takes a spoon of macadamia ice-cream*

Did I miss anything? "Trolling"? umm As long as I'm not accused of "Orcing" shrug wink

No honestly I am highly entertained by this and especially about the "political correctness"...

In the meantime I faced enough racism (in the US, too) against me being technically a white caucasian, getting regarded as the "walking ATM", having ppl perform the "Hitler-greeting" towards me (I'm tall, blonde and have green eyes), having Ozzie blokes ask me in Cairns "where art thou from?", adding a "so you do know about genocide," when telling that I was from Germany (referring to the genocide committed against Aboriginals) - usually getting mistaken for an anglo (as I learned to hide my accent well).

I received job offers to South Africa, just because of my skin colour and am a candidate for marriage in a fair number of countries. Whereas in my home country I learned that there is all, but voicing pride about the country and it's heritage sparks instant suspicion of "nationalism"...

At the same time we're facing a growing number of kids, who - born as second and third generation immigrants - still can't speak the language well (not blaming them, but "gangsta-german" just sounds odd), are divided between (politically correct) disliking "their" country and knowing that they have little to no ties to the countries of their grandparents - therefore completely missing their roots. (But I'm certain every generation faces this kind of idendity crisis)

%0

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
When a public school is banned from spreading the word of Jesus in it's classroom the world has truly gone mad.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
confused

I guess you forgot to put [/ironic] behind your post, NYC.

When a school is banned from spreading ANY religious conditioning to innocent children, the world is actually on it's way back to sanity...

Page: