Forums > Social Chat > Never done this before.. need advice..

Login/Join to Participate

firelegendmember
6 posts

Posted:
Okay.. I care about my hair. So.. the twirling thing looks like A) alot of pratice needed B) chanses of burning my hair look pretty high. (so I'm a chick.. sue me..) smileBut i was in color gaurd back in the day and like the stick that is in the store.. it looks like fun. Is that safer then twirling? It looks like it would be, maybe not as fun as the twirling but really I love and form of fire so the stick would still be cool.Thoughts? Experience with the stick?-------------------firelegend

-firelegend

firelegendmember
6 posts

Posted:
geez i type bad at night.. and spell bad for that matter. One thing I forgot. I am going to Myrtle Beach, USA. What kind of problems may arise from me lighting up a stick? I wouldnt start a bon-fire, just light up my sticks with a lighter or something, could even stand in the water. How kick ass is that. Two elements that cannot exsist in the same plain, so close to one another. That would be fun!

-firelegend

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
You'll need to practice with the staff a fair amount too, I'd imagine. In my limited experience, I've had a harder time getting comfortable with the staff than i did with chains. This is probably one of those things that varies from person to person--only way to find out is to try.If you are worried about your hair (which is perfectly reasonable), wet it before lighting up. If it is long, tie it back. Simple. I've heard of firedancers putting olive oil in their hair, which is another option.I actually set my hair on fire once, and recently had a chance to see the tape on which that event was recorded. I had no idea the blaze had been so big! I wasn't really hurt though. When the tape was shown publicly, I am told it drew 20 or 30 shocked gasps.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

firelegendmember
6 posts

Posted:
YIKES!!well I found the stick/staff to be fun in school.. so I know how to twirl some already.. thought that experience would help lesson the fear of the fire.. i dont think im really afraid of the fire.. I am just extremly partial to my hair.-------------------firelegend

-firelegend

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
For Myrtle Beach(I live in Tampa) you would need to obtain a permit to light up. And, unfortunately they will not issue permits until the raining season starts. Also, I would not recommend lighting up until you are comfortable, and you don't hit yourself *at all*. I'd be afraid of fire. =) It has the potential to hurt VERY bad. :P------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Hey, I'm a guy, I've had long hair long enough to watch it go in and out of fashion several times now, and I'm not ready to lose it any time soon either. ;-)When playing with fire, I typically tie my hair into a tight bun behind my neck and wear a floppy leather hat. So far I've done nothing worse than singe a few neck hairs and only once have I really smacked myself good in the head. The latter case happened while spinning some newly-constructed and rather heavy poi while quite intoxicated.I suspect that as I get better I'll lose the hat, but for now it is a nice safety blanket.-p.

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
pj, the firetwirlin cowboy smilei get around this problem by having short hair...when i was more paranoid i used to do a wet headwrap thing, like a bandanna, which i still use some times. (its one of these nice knit fabric ones i got in at glebe market in sydney and you cant seem to get them here...anybody got a source for them over there? theyre getting sorta ratty now)happy day,Pere

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
Don't be afraid of the fire.Respect the fire.Fear is a different thing. Fear slows you down, muddles your thoughts, makes you freeze. Makes you do irrational things.Fear of fire can hurt you.Treat fire with a great deal of respect. Prepare carefully. Think about sensible precautions, and put those thoughts into action. Always be mindful of the flames, where they are, where they're going, how you're going to deal with any mishaps. Don't get overambitious with fire - that's what practice is for. But once you know you are ready, well-practiced and well-prepared, light up and demonstrate your respect. You can love what you respect. You can't love what you fear.Respect the fire, love the fire.mikeyB

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
Good advice mikey

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
"You can love what you respect. You can't love what you fear."Profoundly put...

firelegendmember
6 posts

Posted:
I love fire smileso.. I cant just light a stick on fire at Myrtle beach??? I mean people can light a cigarete.. hrmm law suck. nah.. mean people suck.. umm.. eessh I am depressed ... I really wanted to twirl and practice till I got to the beach and then stand out with my feet in the water and have some fun..... how much will they fine me if they catch me?

-firelegend

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
firelegend,One thing that might help you when you do find some place that lets you light up is start by lighting only one end of the staff. As you get more comfortable with the fire and the staff then you can light both ends. and there are a bunch of cool moves you can do with only one lite end. Enjoy

firelegendmember
6 posts

Posted:
good idea smileI dont think someone would bitch at me for having a stick lite.. going by the thing i read one guy wrote about its considered a bon fire if its over a certin diamitere in circumference or whatever..

-firelegend