Page:
FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Right now I hold metres over metres of beautiful fabric for costumes...

Whereas some will just end up in (skin-tight) overalls, some desperately wants to be converted into opulent costumes for walk acts and stilt walking.

I do have some very basic pattern for something similar to what I want, but would maybe somebody have some input as where to find patterns for costumes?

Any contribution welcomed smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
*makes loads of costumes and all her own patterns* what kind of thing are you after?

the best thing i suggest if your not sure is just to look round the net for pics of stilt walkers etc and see what inspiration you can get from there

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I make all my own as well. I draw out what I want, what I see in my head then I scour books and the internet for exsisting elements so I can get an idea of how they are put together, and then I base my pattern design on that.

The thing with such costumes is they are 99% of the time custome made by the performer or by a costumer, and so patterns are not normally readily available.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Yeah I get you, see the thingy's if one's not used to do patterns - or own clothing, there's so much that can go wrong. Not that I mind a bit of learning experience, but the fabric's just too nice to f** around with + do I not get that fabric here.

I'm thinking of some mild (!) version of a carneval in venice style, opulent stuff, for wearing on Dura...

So either I would have to make a dress (which is kind-a uncomfi) or the legs need to be at least 50cm whide - otherwise stilt costumes look unprofessional - IMO.

So it seems as if I would have to search for readymade patterns, as I can't develop my own and the tailors here are not fully capable of doing anything out of the ordinary - at least unwilling. shrug

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
https://www.sewingcentral.com/cgi-bin/Web_store/web_store.cgi?page=histpat.html&cart_id=

https://www.denverfabrics.com/pages/static/renaissance/renaissance-costume-patterns.htm prob easily available

Theres heaps of sites out there...

Maybe try contacting your local SCA and see if someone form there can tailor what you want. If you dont want authenticity it makes it alot easier.

Do a mock up in something less valuable and keep it as a pattern or as the lining.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
smile hug

Thankya! clap

Very valuable advice!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
European SCA contact page

https://www.drachenwald.sca.org/Regnum/

a few German SCAdian groups in there including one in Isengau, Shire München. Might be helpful for you. No real idea of level of costuming etc but looks like some nice 15th C stuff which would be that helpful for stilt work but some of the costumes look good..

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
I reckon there should be a site on the internet that designs and makes costumes for the people that are not very good at design can buy costumes theres lots of money at that bussiness

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
The easiest of course would be when you can find the 'pattern' you want from a bit from a second hand shop or flea market, so you could take it apart for the exact pattern, this would eliminate the most difficult part in costume making, i,e. figuring out the measurements to cut it just right.

If you happen to have an old pair of pants that you wore to ruins cause they fit perfectly, you can cut them up now at the seams and use it as your permanent pants pattern base from now on(remember to try and leave the overlap for the seams or always remember to compensate for them). This'll save you a whole lot of time and headaches in the future. And if you never made pants before, taking apart the seams will key you in to the proper step by steps of how to go about it.

And remember, stilt costume pants have to be unnaturally wide at the legs to be able to fit over your shoes loosely.

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
If you're not so lucky, I more or less learned proper clothing design from a single book that I would highly recommend, which I unfortunately no longer have, but it was called something along the lines of clothing design with basic patterns from paper. The content was about how to create the most basic paper pattern ( of pants, blouse, etc.) with an individuals measurements, and then how to manupulate the different darts to create any desired stylised effect.

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Stilt pants are the easiest things in the world, much like regular pants.

Gnor is right, a good seamster/tress usually does a mock-up out of muslin, a *very* cheap, widely available white cotton fabric. This can then be used as a template for all future costumes of that design. Usually the muslin base is just that, the base, sans any embellishments.

www.reddawn.net/costume/patterns.htm gives alot of ideas for costumes.

Keep in mind that anything for stilts will (obviously) have to be changed alot from the original pattern.

Pele

daisylouBRONZE Member
la di da di da
147 posts

Posted:
i make all my own costumes as well. usually buy regular patterns and alter them. its all about the maths and ratio with skirts/dresses and as trousers just add extra length smile

just a crazee daisy living in a crazy world

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Pele, I wouldn't quite call them the "easiest thing in the world" - they need to be very bulgy

Non-Https Image Link

This one is nice, I've seen some that just look unprofessional as the foot can clearly be noticed.

I love this guy,

Non-Https Image Link

yet the costume is very basic - I'm looking for a more elaborate one...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Gnor

European SCA contact page

https://www.drachenwald.sca.org/Regnum/

a few German SCAdian groups in there including one in Isengau, Shire München. Might be helpful for you. No real idea of level of costuming etc but looks like some nice 15th C stuff which would be that helpful for stilt work but some of the costumes look good..

Sounded exciting, hence the link put me to a merry go round... unfortunate, as I'm from Munich smile

I found this homepage - is it the same?

But tell me: is THIS what fabric costs (in the west)?

Also I got aware, that the nice, shiny fabric is all - BUT fireproof..... ? rolleyes dunno'bout that....
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1173247409)

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
mm..thats what i meant...yeah..that one confused rolleyes

Is it the Truth?

daisylouBRONZE Member
la di da di da
147 posts

Posted:
shiny fabrics are synthetics ie contain polymers which melt. however most fabrics can be sent away to be made fire retardent or you can buy spray and do it yourself.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Those prices are pretty much average price. I shop off season unless its something i really love and so get out of season bargains. You can get linen anywhere from $2/m upwards and usually sits $10/12 per m here. Depends on what you want.

Shop near us has half price March and lovely organzas are $3 /m.

Is it the Truth?

daisylouBRONZE Member
la di da di da
147 posts

Posted:
i work in a fabrics shop...hate my job but lovvvve the fabrics. have a room full of it upstairs biggrin

daisylouBRONZE Member
la di da di da
147 posts

Posted:
hm, heres one of my costumes i made last year for a victorian festival near me smile

Non-Https Image Link

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Wow , nice one clap

Gnor, I'm collecting samples for you right now. Definately I send you some... trading costumes for fabric sounds fabulous to me biggrin

"Fire - retardant"? Sounds like the kind of magic I need...

How many m's did you use for the low part?

Would anyone have experience with zippers (to take off the part that is for the stilts otherwise)... ?

daisylouBRONZE Member
la di da di da
147 posts

Posted:
fire retardent spray is quite expensive. we sell it £11 odd a bottle. its mainly used for furnishings. however, i dont think all fabrics can be made fire retardent so you would hafta test it on a sample piece first!

not used zips for changing length, infact never really dawned on me, tho velcro could work too.

hm not sure how many are around bottom. it was a pattern i followed and did maths to work out measurements given aditional length. maybe about 12? its actually made to allow a hoop underskirt to fit underneath it but its a good job i never wore it. that festival was swarming by lunch time hehe

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
FireCheck Fire Retarding Spray

Works great, but you need to respray after every wash, which would be a hassle spraying stilt trousers regularly smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

daisylouBRONZE Member
la di da di da
147 posts

Posted:
thanks durbs, thats useful to know. i wasnt aware smile

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Sounds like DaisyLou is the petrson to get to know Tom wink

Is it the Truth?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
bounce can hardly wait... biggrin is she taken already wink ubblol

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
Personally I have no talent in making costumes and quite frankly have no desire to... we've always taken the stance that by paying a professional you will get a professional grade of service. Website, video, costume, whatever... lucky for you if you can do the service you require, but there are usually more pressing things to do as a performer no?

I dispute the "see the feet = not professional" ideology. The Wrong Size have these "Stalker" characters which are totally 'professional'...

Non-Https Image Link

agreed, you can't actually see their feet, butt hey are not trying to cover the fact they are on stilts...

I think "professional" isn;t the right word FireTom

xdave

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
We do them ourselves!

The guys in our troupe basically don't have costumes yet. Just pants...

Us girls have a quite a few tops that we've picked up and adjusted...

So far it's been mainly op shopiing and adjusting... but my friend and I have many patterns that we want to make.

And I have a sewing machine in my room which makes it easier.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Durbs

FireCheck Fire Retarding Spray

Works great, but you need to respray after every wash, which would be a hassle spraying stilt trousers regularly smile

Rosco Flamex

This is the dip that I use (scroll to bottom items). Works like a charm, is approved by the NYC movie fire marshalls and isn't a spray. You just dip the fabric in it, so it's easy for loads of fabric at a time. I do many costume pieces at once.

wink

And I agree with Knoxious. That was way to broad of a statement there Tom. I've seem amazing stilt costumes, where you can tell. To me it's not about hiding it but how it the entire character is represented.

Pele

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Yup i agree with you one the stilt point pele. I actually enjoy stilt characters more when they arn't just "tall people", I like the characters where the stilts are more of a tool than a prop, there are some really cool ones around.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
With the flame retardant Rosco Flamex P50 on costumes do they react with sensitive skin? Does it wash out of the fabric with each wash and need redoing?

Is it the Truth?

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Gnor, your an aussie, do you know if you can get that kind of thing in australia? It sounds great.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Page: