Forums > Social Chat > Love - aka "Miss Understanding"

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Wondering that this topic didn't turn up when searched...

Guess one can't discuss L.O.V.E. but an occasional chat... hey why not?

According to

Wiki:

Love

Written by: Wiki

is any of a number of emotions and experiences related to a sense of strong affection or profound oneness. Depending on context, love can have a wide variety of intended meanings. Romantic love is seen as a deep, ineffable feeling of intense and tender attraction shared in passionate or intimate attraction and intimate interpersonal and sexual relationships.

Love can also be conceived of as

Platonic love,

religious love,

familial love, and, more casually,

great affection

for anything considered strongly pleasurable, desirable, or preferred, including activities and foods. This diverse range of meanings in the singular word love is often contrasted with the plurality of Greek words for love, reflecting the concept's depth, versatility, and complexity...

Further aspects are:

Courtly love

Religious love

Types of Emotion

Erotic love

Platonic love

Familial love

Puppy love

Romantic love

The definition of love is the subject of considerable debate, enduring speculation, and thoughtful introspection. Some tackle the difficulty of finding a universal definition for love by classifying it into types, such as passionate love, romantic love, and committed love. However, some of these types of love can be generalized into the category of sexual attraction. In colloquial use, according to polled opinion, the most favoured definitions of love involve altruism, selflessness, friendship, union, family, and bonding or connecting with another.

The different aspects of love can be roughly illustrated by comparing their corollaries and opposites. As a general expression of positive sentiment (a stronger form of like), love is commonly contrasted with hate (or neutral apathy); as a less sexual and more mutual and "pure" form of romantic attachment, love is commonly contrasted with lust; and as an interpersonal relationship with romantic overtones, love is commonly contrasted with friendship, although other connotations of love may be applied to close friendships as well.

Wiki states also:

The neutrality or factuality of this article or section may be compromised by weasel words.

rolleyes what a surprise wink ubblol

EDITED_BY: FireTom (1173244672)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Love is natures way of making sure that the prospective parents (in any species) have what it takes - the requisite connection - to raise a child together or a connection between tribes to stay together for safety in numbers...

It is humans who have attached further more existential concepts to it or have the capacity to turn their back on it completely - meaning they don't have what it takes...

Written by: FireTom

Further aspects are:

Courtly love

I SOOO read that as 'Courtney Love' ubblol

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ubblol

love is like the sweet scent of flowers amidst the desert.

It certainly can be like a drug, with all it's side effects and withdrawal...

rolleyes

E_V_I_LMosh-mosh-mosh-mosh.
346 posts

Posted:
Personally I'm a romantic, trying to find that one heartfelt connection to another. I've found it, but it's unrequited.

Which leads me onto another area. Since I am by nature quite aggressive (Read as "I've been placed on 4 anger management courses!") I have my own "formal" set of qualities and values I try to adhere too to keep me on the straight and narrow. Namely, the concept and code of Chivalry and also the teachings of Muyamoto Musashi (Book of Five Rings/Spheres) the "codifier" of the historically unwritten Bushi creed.

Courtly love - that's where I am. In love from afar with someone unobtainable, yet I'd do anything for.

The harsh, clinical part of me (The part that loves partical physics and things like superstring theory etc) says "It's just chemicals in your brain and a way of preserving the species", but the more emotional/spiritual side says otherwise.

Torn in two directions. I want to say "You know what, it's just in my head, it dosn't actually mean anything and won't amount to anything so leave it, forget her, it's dead and it's best you deal with it as if she were too, put her out of your mind." but then that romantic part says "....ah, but even though it's all gone pear shaped and she dosn't even speak to you anymore, you can't supress your emotions and just hang on in there ... your world always rights itself..."

So - what is love ?

Only the worst possibly trick you can play on yourself, but the most rewarding thing to be able to give and recieve.

Love is 'orrible in short. Makes no sense. Makes me gibber. Gibber gibber.

Xbox360 Live ID - Sacred Apollyon

"Enemies you threaten make armies. Enemies you destroy make graves."

"Here is a test to see if your mission on earth is finished: If your alive it isn't."

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I don't get people who say it is just chemicals in your brain and therefore not worth it.

happiness is also just chemicals in your brain. so are we going to throw in the towel on happiness as well?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
a pain in the arse....... biggrin

some people get it, some people dont.

Either way its a feeling that makes you understand how to really appreciate something / someone regardless of what happens but sadley, moreso when its gone smile

ubbrollsmile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
it's just chemicals. I wouldn't say it's not worth it. But it's chemicals. Everything's chemicals. Or physics, but I don't understand those as well.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Love is when he kisses you and the world outside his arms seases to exsist. There is no sound other than his breathing, there are no feelings other than his lips, all that matters is the moment.

I miss Steve ubbcrying

Thats love, and I'll be damned if I let anyone tell me it dosent exsist

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yep... all of the above.

I think it's chemistry, it's the most immense thing ever, the most frightening thing you could experience, a pain in the arse (no dude, that's your back smile ), and, of course, the ultimate, the divine, the whole.

It's what we all search for, but already have.

I'm not sure there are different types of love... but we're human and we like to categorise. Such things appease our questions. rolleyes

And just cos it's a good excuse to post some Rumi and Hafiz (who better to teach about love?!)... biggrin

When the sweet glance of my true love caught my eyes,

Like alchemy, it transformed my copper-like soul.

I searched for Him with a thousand hands,

He stretched out His arms and clutched my feet.

Rumi

When your chest is free of your limiting ego,

Then you will see the ageless Beloved.

You can not see yourself without a mirror;

Look at the Beloved, He is the brightest mirror.

Rumi

Two friends

A certain person came to the Friend's door

and knocked.

"Who's there?"

"It's me."

The Friend answered, "Go away. There's no place

for raw meat at this table."

The individual went wandering for a year.

Nothing but the fire of separation

can change hypocrisy and ego. The person returned

completely cooked,

walked up and down in front of the Friend's house,

gently knocked.

"Who is it?"

"You."

"Please come in, my self,

there's no place in this house for two.

The doubled end of the thread is not what goes through

the eye of the needle.

It's a single-pointed, fined-down, thread end,

not a big ego-beast with baggage."

Rumi

A Potted Plant

I pull a sun from my coin purse each day.

And at night I let my pet the moon

Run freely into the sky meadow.

If I whistled,

She would turn her head and look at me.

If I then waved my arms,

She would come back wagging a marvellous tail

Of stars.

There are always a few men like me

In this world

Who are house-sitting for God.

We share His royal duties:

I water each day a favorite potted plant

Of His--

This earth.

Ask the Friend for love.

Ask Him again.

For I have learned that every heart will get

What it prays for

Most.

Hafiz

I've Said It Before and I'll Say It Again

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

It's not my fault that with a broken heart, I've gone this way.

In front of a mirror they have put me like a parrot,

And behind the mirror the Teacher tells me what to say.

Whether I am perceived as a thorn or a rose, it's

The Gardener who has fed and nourished me day to day.

O friends, don't blame me for this broken heart;

Inside me there is a great jewel and it's to the Jeweler's shop I go.

Even though, to pious, drinking wine is a sin,

Don't judge me; I use it as a bleach to wash the color of hypocrisy away.

All that laughing and weeping of lovers must be coming from some other place;

Here, all night I sing with my winecup and then moan for You all day.

If someone were to ask Hafiz, "Why do you spend all your time sitting in

The Winehouse door?," to this man I would say, "From there, standing,

I can see both the Path and the Way.

Hafiz

ubblove
EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1172780875)

Getting to the other side smile

E_V_I_LMosh-mosh-mosh-mosh.
346 posts

Posted:
Never come across Rumi or Hafiz before ... but ... wow.

Loving the last one, "I've said it before, I'll say it again". Not only is it a phrase I find myself uttering in my own defence a lot at the moment, but damnit, as much as I'm not really into poetry, that has really hit a chord with me.

So going to have to research this guy a bit more ...

Xbox360 Live ID - Sacred Apollyon

"Enemies you threaten make armies. Enemies you destroy make graves."

"Here is a test to see if your mission on earth is finished: If your alive it isn't."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

Splendid...

smile

Getting to the other side smile

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
It's like the scent of fresh oven baked bread: I guess where it comes from and leads to... yet it's irresistible.

shrug

"Whether I am perceived as a thorn or a rose, it's

The Gardener who has fed and nourished me day to day. "

Nicely put smile

Sparklygreenfire*Green Spirit*
201 posts

Posted:
Love can be exciting, scary, intimate, passionate, tender, magical, exilirating and pure ecstacy...as well as make you feel your dying a slow death...that your whole world has come to an end and your heart has been torn apart, never to mend!!

Love IS...A pain in the arse!!

Yet...for all the hurt, I wouldn't change it...

Are you a robot...or an alien?

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
In my mind, love is nothing more then a guess. Seeing as i have very littel to base my feelings on, it cannot be anything more then a guess. Occasionally(sp?) it's an educated guess. But when you say "I love you" to someone there is no way to know for certain.....i dunno prolly doesnt make sence to anyone but oh well.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

darkness-beforeGOLD Member
Rock is dead, long live paper and scissors
197 posts

Posted:
Love is being able to place someone before yourself not out of some sense of honour or loyalty. Not as an act of charity, but because you would make any sacrifice for that persons happiness. Simply because there hapiness is all that matters to you. peace hug ubblove

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

Telepath wanted, you know where to apply.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
love is the alterego of hate, both are powerfull emotions. in this day and age those words "i love you" are banded about without thought or meaning in some cases.

i'm sceptical about such feelings as in dose the otey party really mean it, are they infatuated,are they just saying it???

i'm single and happy as i doubt i could find a partner as random, scatty and sometimes as hyper as myself.

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Love is the best and the worst thing that can ever happen to you, the smallest bit of bad in it hurts like hell, but in the same breath love can heal some damn deep wounds pretty quickly.

You always feel lonelier once you've lost it, until you find another love and then it starts all over again, but with just a tiny bit of your heart reserved for the person you first gave it to.

Love is horrible, love is amazing, i miss it. smile

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
But Mauses, you know that love is always next to you.... shrug hug wink

However I met a guy who stated that love is nothing but a psycho-genetic pre-disposition (whereas he did not rule out any of the above definitions), intended to develop (a healthy) self-love (not egotism) and to enable (intellectual and spiritual) growth for the individual.

He further stated that love is more a choice than most of us are ready to admit and that (as a result) relationships should be based on a daily commitment, independence rather than co-dependency or/ and a long-term contract.

He seemed to be disillusioned, but as a matter of fact a lot of girls fell in love with him - to me it was stunning.

Love can open profound wounds within moments and heal them within seconds. To me it's one of the most mysterious life energies that exist on the planet...

I really ubblove love... (sigh)

daizeSILVER Member
175 posts

Posted:
I totally agree with the above, at first it appears detached and cynical... but I believe it's a balanced way to consider it.