Runemistnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Hey guys, I have a probably very stupid question: How do you spin two poi in front of you, going the same way, on the same plane? I don't know the name of the move, but it seems like every video I watch has that move in it...and I can't do it! confused
I can't seem to find the name of it anywhere, and it doesn't seem to be in the lessons, so I have to ask. redface
Every time I try, I either spin one around my wrist (though a move, not quite what I'm going for) or get them all tangled. I've even tried watching people's hands in the videos...but then I just get even more confused!
Anyways, my questions are...what's the name of the move? Is it a beginner move, or more advanced and I shouldn't try right now? Is there anything I can do to lead up to it?
Thanks guys! biggrin

This is how I go when I go like this!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Erm...
Well, you're either talking about a chasing-the-moon (as in chasing-the-sun but by your hips instead of over your head) or just wall-plane parallel time - depends on whether the poi stay in front of the body or alternate infont-behind (c-t-m).

As to how...
Not sure if this will help, but Chasing-the-moon is basically a low-turn followed by a carry turn with no beats in between. You can just leave your hands at your hips and flip your wrists so your palms point up behind you and down infront of you.

If it's parallel front-side wall-plane spinning, it's just a matter of practise wink Although as with a butterfly, it helps to have one hand slightly infront of the other.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
(P.S. There are no stupid questions in poi, just stupid answers involving overly complex nomenclature wink )

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Sounds like parallel fron....hey!!!!!....sounds like wall plane spinning to me. Are you wanting your hands together? or apart. if the answer is together, spin your poi in two same time circles with your hands apart and slowly bring them together...like you did when you learned the butterfly.

If it's hands apart..then it's a plane control issue. teach yourself about spinning flat wall plane circles by working with one poi at a time..once you've got that..try it with two poi...then...stall them out to one side for a little extra TA DAAAAA appeal..then spin the same circles with your poi going in the opposite direction.

Runemistnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Wow, lots of different answers!

I believe I'm talking about the wall-plane spinning, that's what it seems like. Although, the other moves sound fun too!

My problem in attempting to do it...is that with the butterfly, which I can do with some trying, they are going opposite, and I can manage the timing right so that they don't hit each other, or me! But, with this one, they just seem not to want to obey. I can do one or the other just fine, but when I try both, they just wrap around me, or each other. I'm not sure how to explain otherwise. Lets say I try spinning both, with one hand forward, and one back. The poi that his being held back spins around the other hands' wrist, and then...well, that's not exactly what I want!

And, yes, I want my hands together. To me, it looks something like a windmill, I guess.

Soo...is it just me? Do I need to work on timing and just move my hands out of the way? Or am I getting this totally wrong?

Thanks smile
EDITED_BY: Runemist (1172610875)

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
hmmmm, you want to spin your poi same direction in front of your body, wall plane, with your hands together? In order not to wrap your wrists or the poi together you would either have to throw the "held back" poi each rotation over the other wrist, or you do an inversion where you arch your body forwards and spin under your arms (search for inversions! there is lots of info on HoP about them!).

ubbidea What you may have been seeing in the videos is simply a transitional phase between moves (eg. 5 bt weave) where someone is unwrapping and re-wrapping beats on one side of their body before transferring them across. (think of when you do a weave, you do a couple of beats on each side of your body, 5bt weave adds one more each side - if you turn your body to wall-plane on each side you'll see the poi spinning same direction infront of you with your hands together various beats before you return to the other side)

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Good call on the five beat elasta..I hadn't thought of that one..It could be the lower half of a four beat windmill too.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Only figure of 8 can't be static wall plane.

but circle,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Runemistnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Actually, you guys may be right. Upon watching them more closely, I must have been hallucinating the amount of spinning I thought was happening...it might just be transitions I'm seeing. I will look into the 5 beat weave though, and the inversions, they sound cool! I've just learned to do a very simple flower, actually...I was so surprised how easy it was! Now I just have to make my other arm do it too! Hehee...
Thanks guys, you've been very helpful!

kepki2003Member
34 posts

Posted:
you can isolate a buzzsaw on the wall plane.

Spin More Poi!!!