Forums > Help! > Vegetarian yoghurt

Login/Join to Participate

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
I'm shaking, trembling, feeling shocked and horrible. I was peacefully eating my yoghurt as I do everyday for breakfast and started reading what it said on the box. Inredients, contents, blablabla ...until...at the bottom it said: Not suitable for vegetarians. eek It's the Danone Activia and I've been eating it for over a year! But nothing on the ingredients lists anything not ok. Can anyone tell me why it would not be suitable for veggies then. We are talking vegetarian, not vegan. Help me, I feel a bit sick now.

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

E_V_I_LMosh-mosh-mosh-mosh.
346 posts

Posted:
Eeep. We all fall foul at times. If I don't see a Green V or something saying it's suitable, then the ingredients are what I turn too ... and once or twice I've been caught foul.

Still, I've not been Veggie long, and all my mates up here who are veggie make a huge deal about and how hard it is like they're Martyrs or summat. I don't even think about it.

You tried Yop ? UUUUUUBBBBEEEEERRRRRRniceness !

Xbox360 Live ID - Sacred Apollyon

"Enemies you threaten make armies. Enemies you destroy make graves."

"Here is a test to see if your mission on earth is finished: If your alive it isn't."

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
Found it; the problem is the colouring they use: cochineal (crushed insects, urgh eek). The ones with peach are suitable for vegeterians though so I'll stick to those.

And E V I L: Yes, I loooooove Yop. I drink it all the time tongue.

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

lilith_in_londonSILVER Member
149 posts

Posted:
cochineal is definitely one to look out for - kept finding it in all sorts of stuff...

having said that, if you want to play it really safe there are some delicious soy-based yoghurts these days. the cherry ones are particularly yummy!

c'est pas nous qui sommes à la rue, c'est la rue kétanou!

1st official camden town (uk) meet 21st october! see the events bit

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
means, that driving a car at all also ain't suitable for Veggies... Look at the amount of insects, crushed on the windscreens... Now, hang on... what about trains? and planes? eek

Veggies are doomed to WALK to work??? wink

psssst: soybeans contribute to rising carbon levels... so consider your tofu as... footinmouth *goes into hiding*

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

lilith_in_londonSILVER Member
149 posts

Posted:
smile

not sure how much irony is sprinkled there Tom, but I agree - cars are not veggie-friendly. nothing wrong with walking or a bike!

soybeans may cause a rise in CO2 (most things do), but i bet it's nothing compared to the methane coming out of a cow. on the other hand, if you're talking deforestation (which again... more forest is taken down for pasture) then buy certified organic. and ta-dah!

hug

/SOH failure

ed. because i can't seem to start a sentence without "and"
EDITED_BY: lilith_in_london (1172432396)

c'est pas nous qui sommes à la rue, c'est la rue kétanou!

1st official camden town (uk) meet 21st october! see the events bit

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

means, that driving a car at all also ain't suitable for Veggies... Look at the amount of insects, crushed on the windscreens... Now, hang on... what about trains? and planes? eek

Veggies are doomed to WALK to work??? wink

psssst: soybeans contribute to rising carbon levels... so consider your tofu as... footinmouth *goes into hiding*

I hate this assumption that people make about vegetarians, and the arguments and lash-backs that people make about my diet choice.

Since when did cutting out a food group automaticlly make you think I'm trying to save the planet.

Theres a differance between dead bugs on my windscreen, and licking dead bugs off my windscreen and eating them.

I just dont feel comfortable eating meat, m'kay?

[/rant]

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I'm not veggie but I find Alpro plain Soya yoghurt quite yummy and preferable to normal milk-based yoghurts.

The sweet thing about plain soya too is you can add your own ingredients (mine's Date-syrup and tahini ubblove)

If that helps...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Wow, I thought cochenille was made artificially these days! At least that's what we were taught in school, but maybe it was just for the red Haribo jelly sweets...

Cochenille = E120, similar artificial red = E124 smile

And I think the real stuff still is in Campari...

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Aimee - excuse me for sounding provocative or offensive. I don't question anyones choices of food... but since when did bugs contain "meat"?

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
I totally agree with Aimee. And I call every "animal" meat. For me that includes fish, birds and insects. It's just a word to mask what it really is. Like they use pork instead of pig and beef instead of cow and venison instead of bambi.

M33k0BRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
I've been a vegetarian all my life.. dont drink milk, dont eat eggs, dont eat meat. But do have dairy products (like cheese.)

I cant stand it when people are all "OMG dude we need to kill animals to live just eat meat and suck it up"

Im a vegetarian cause I dont like eating those things. I never did... and even as a tiny lil kiddo my mom couldnt get me to eat meat. So now im 23 and still the only vegetarian in my family!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
The only difference I notice between killing bugs with your windscreen and licking them off is like driving in a train, shooting buffaloes and not getting their skin... [/completely ridiculous statement] wink

All these sub-categories of "vegetarians" are a little confusing - ignore my ignorance, please wink Neither I am promoting to kill animals, nor am I criticising anyones choice of diet. If you read that criticism in any of my posts, Aimee, please be so kind to let me know where.

Nope, serious: "vegetarian yoghurt" - to me - is just a contradiction shrug

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
You think cochineal is bad - want to scare yourself, look up shellac, find out what it is, and what it is used for, gives a whole new perspective on a veggie/vegan diet.

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
its possible that it contains beta-carotine, which can be derived from animals OR plants, but the manufacturers are too lazy to find out which.

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
If it's a vegetable, but it's GM with animal DNA, is it still vegetarian? Would you even know, seeing as EU regulations may soon allow 0.9% GM ingredients in organic labeled food?

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Surprises me enormously that they use real cochineal in a yogurt. I had assumed the problem ingredient was gelatine they sometimes use to make it thicker/smoother.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
And gelatine comes from.... ?

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
Mostly pig-skin FireTom

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
Uhm, I think FireTom's question was a retoric one towards newgabe wink.

But, euh...apples are not vegetaran? Heeeeelp!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
confused

ah, I see: No, they are not "vegetaran", but "vegetarIan" wink :P or better speaking "fruitarian"...

(*whispers: "you don't want to tell me now that my fruit salad contains meat-apples, is it?"*)

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Firetramp

But, euh...apples are not vegetaran? Heeeeelp!

Depends on whether you count beetles as meat, it's a tricky one really as I'm sure plenty of bugs get into food production lines all the time, it's certainly not vegan though. I'm not a veggie, but the first time I noticed shellac on the ingredients of a packet of banana chips I was somewhat unimpressed, especially as I was doing a lot of french polishing at the time wink

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Reap eat: Apples are non-veg? umm

Due to the bugs inside???? umm

I'm very confused now...

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Apples might not be VEGAN depending on how you feel about the coating of shellac, which may or may not be an 'animal product", depending on what your interpretation of what an animal product is.

Speaking of insects...ever look at your organic broccoli under a microscope before you cooked it ? ewwwwww aphids.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ALL apples have shellac coating? eek

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
Not all apples no. If you pick an apple off a tree, it's probably shellac free. Commercially however, shellac is widely accepted as the best replacement for the natural wax lost when the apples are cleaned, as well as being an aid to preserving the fruit and preventing mould growth. Basically if an apple looks clean and shiny (take a look at a natural apple and compare it to a supermarket apple) there is likely to be shellac involved. There are alternatives, and it is really hard to get ahold of sensible statistics giving any idea of how they are used proportionally. Shellac is non toxic, natural and cheap which makes it useful for all sorts of things from apples, to ice cream cones, to cakes to chewing gum to pills!

I'm not usually the suspicious type, but I don't like the fact that it is rarely mentioned on ingredients at all, nor that people are not aware of the product and its origins, most people think of it as furniture polish, but edible glazes are the greatest use of shellac nowadays.

Oh and I came by this which is fairly relavent https://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002983831_bugs10.html

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
I don't eat animals of the class mammalia, aves or the phylum mollusca, but I'm happy to eat insects, and I will eat fish on occasion. Is there a name for that? :P

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?