Posted:
eeeeeeeeeep!

that's crazy.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
it's very hard to get a grip on large numbers

personal stories of one poignant death interest people far more than the dry numbers of people killed daily by such things as vaccine preventable disease and malnutrition.

I think it's a big part of why the worlds a mess.

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
wow smile very impressed. (with the idea, not the waste of resources expressed by it)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

wow smile very impressed. (with the idea, not the waste of resources expressed by it)

seconded.

but i think that there is an element of photoshop manipulation there! wink

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Oh sure... but so what?

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
that the waste of resources as YOU so put it, are not as accurately wasted as you see, only a very small percentage, manipulated to make you assume that all are wasted as YOU saw and expressed.

Where as i assumed first that there was photoshopping involved and NOT sheer wastage of resources.

Thats the difference and thats "So what"...

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Yeah, it would be completely different if he actually stacked up 15,000,000 sheets of paper in a room.. Personally I think that would be much more powerful, but who am I to tell him what to do.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

GitasGuyPooh-Bah
2,303 posts

Posted:
I don't think wasting a whole heap of stuff to prove his point would have really have done it now.
Why waste the same amount of paper to show paper wastage, that makes no sense. I'm glad he photoshopped it.

:admires giant wooden aeroplane: Its about time trees were good for something, instead of just standing their like jerks!!! ubblol ubbtickled

Homer rocks!!!! ubblol ubbrollsmile

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Because there is irony in it. And also because I don't believe the idea behind the work is 'look how much stuff we waste' but is instead to remove the statistics and numbers from just printed text and make them something more real. If that's the case, why would you just take a picture, and shrink down an image of 15 million sheets of paper, when you could just as easily show 15 million sheets of paper, what would be more impactful to you?

I've done somewhat similar work before including a 24x36" poster with the 58,000+ names that are on the Vietnam Memorial Wall. I understand the impact that these things can have but they're still abstracted, even in the way he presents them.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Lurch

I've done somewhat similar work before including a 24x36" poster with the 58,000+ names that are on the Vietnam Memorial Wall.

I'd like to see that... do you have it online?

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
That is brilliant.

How many hand gun deaths in one year!?!?! eek How many people in prison ?!?!?!? eek

In one country that isn't even (officially) at war with itself!!!

And a nice turn calling a bloated boxcar "denial" instead of 'denali'

(goes back to shuffling reams of paper in the embarassingly wasteful home office) redface

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Sure do,

small image of the entire thing: https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/Defarge/vietnamsmall.jpg

1 sq inch: https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/Defarge/close.jpg

Pardon the green tint on that one that was a glitch in the making, not there in real life. If I could actually manage to find the CD that's got the massive file stuffed away on it I'd like to get a few more printed, but for now it's just an extremely limited edition of about 8 prints, and one massive 40x60" edition. All the names are readable, barely, and with easier with a magnifying glass. It's about 200 short of the actual number due to them making additions and such.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

That is brilliant.

How many hand gun deaths in one year!?!?! eek How many people in prison ?!?!?!? eek

Those statistics are skewed. Most of the gun related deaths are suicide which are constant with the suicide rates in other countries. And most of the people in prison are only minorities.

[Sarcasm kids, calm down.]

I did find this site extremely interesting:

CDC mortality rates

Also, if you just hit "Submit Request" on this page you can find the leading cause of death at several age groups. I thought the statistics were interesting. (Malignant Neoplasms are cancer btw.)

The fact that the 4th leading death of 1-4 year olds is homocide is a bit alarming. Who the heck could have beef with a 2 year old? Granted some of those numbers are extremely low considering the population of the US.

I couldn't find statistics for other countries. Probably because bad stuff doesn't happen there.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
https://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms

Firearm murders is about 8,000 give or take. I wouldn't say the statistics are skewed, if that's how many deaths by firearms there are then thats how many their are, but because they are handguns in the image, and because people are people they automatically assume that they're all negative. I think it's misleading for sure.

He may actually be doing that on purpose just to see how negative and macabre the world is today though.. or he belives the tripe...

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
as for murder and small children...i think some of it is parent related, perhaps killing on parent and the children so they cannot leave, straight up abuse, part of a suicide of a parent or loved one
this is a story but...
there was a black woman who had finally got enough courage to tell her abusive alcoholic bf that she was taking the kids and leaving...to this day she wonders why she told him and just didn't leave...
he flew into a rage and started hitting her and slamming her into the dining room wall, but she insisted that they were leaving him
he grabbed the baby up in his arms, tearing her away from her toys, and walked over to the window. he looked outside and got a strange calmness to his eyes. he stops screaming at her and opens the screen.
"so, you're goin to leave me?"
"give me my baby"
the arguing gets worse. the woman falling to her knees, arms outstretched.
"you really think that you'll leave me?" he hangs the child out the window of the 12th story apartment.
"please"
"are you going to leave?"
there is a long silence, punctuated by heartsore sobs.
"no, no, i won't leave you, please just give me my baby"
"well, then, no you aren't going to leave me?"
"no"
he looks at her and looks at the baby. as he turns back, he let's go of the child.
"next time, it'll be you"

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
umm

rolleyes

I know, men are evil... women are good... children laugh and never do anything wrong... cats purr and dogs bark... cops are bad... hippies are good... terrorists kill... bush is an ****... sun is hot and water is pure...

meditate *some breathing patterns, help me be patient and grateful for the sunrise this morning*

(recovered) These pieces of art (to me) are highly impressive, certainly "photoshopped" and I'm glad he did it. First look is deceptive, the devil lies in the details. clap nice work, thanks for the thread... shared the link already wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

as for murder and small children...i think some of it is parent related, perhaps killing on parent and the children so they cannot leave, straight up abuse, part of a suicide of a parent or loved one
this is a story but...
there was a black woman who had finally got enough courage to tell her abusive alcoholic bf that she was taking the kids and leaving...to this day she wonders why she told him and just didn't leave...
he flew into a rage and started hitting her and slamming her into the dining room wall, but she insisted that they were leaving him
he grabbed the baby up in his arms, tearing her away from her toys, and walked over to the window. he looked outside and got a strange calmness to his eyes. he stops screaming at her and opens the screen.
"so, you're goin to leave me?"
"give me my baby"
the arguing gets worse. the woman falling to her knees, arms outstretched.
"you really think that you'll leave me?" he hangs the child out the window of the 12th story apartment.
"please"
"are you going to leave?"
there is a long silence, punctuated by heartsore sobs.
"no, no, i won't leave you, please just give me my baby"
"well, then, no you aren't going to leave me?"
"no"
he looks at her and looks at the baby. as he turns back, he let's go of the child.
"next time, it'll be you"

What was the point of this? Racist urban legend? Something that happened to you last week?

I'm confused.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
makes me feel loads better having a back pack instead of collecting yet more plastic bags

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Lurch

Sure do,

small image of the entire thing: https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/Defarge/vietnamsmall.jpg

1 sq inch: https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/Defarge/close.jpg

Pardon the green tint on that one that was a glitch in the making, not there in real life. If I could actually manage to find the CD that's got the massive file stuffed away on it I'd like to get a few more printed, but for now it's just an extremely limited edition of about 8 prints, and one massive 40x60" edition. All the names are readable, barely, and with easier with a magnifying glass. It's about 200 short of the actual number due to them making additions and

such.

ubbrollsmile hug amazing work my friend!...

3,556 posts

Posted:
ok settle down, geez

someone asked about who has beef with kids...the story was one presented in Forensics based on survival stories of women

the genders could be switched, the race could be different, the point is children are sometimes the casualty of an abusive relationship

sometimes they got drown in pools, would you say i was attacking pool owners

if tony morrison tells a tragic tale do you jump down her throat, or does she get a pass because she is black as well

*loss of temper removed*

no see i was lucky, i didn't have a child for him to hang out a window, he just threatened to slice my throat or shoot me in our first floor apartment
EDITED_BY: faithinfire (1172934741)

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

ok settle down, geez

f***ing relax, what's your problem...

*looks around*

Who are you talking to? And why are you cursing?

Scrolling up I see nobody with a problem, nobody who's uncalm, and certainly nobody deserving of being cursed at.

... now I'm even more confused.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

3,556 posts

Posted:
pulling the racist card was a cheap shot, minimizing this and flippantly asking if it happened to me last week was a cheap shot

sorry minmizing a person's story of survival makes me lose my temper

*post edited to express feelings better, yet still poorly*
EDITED_BY: faithinfire (1172935012)

Faith

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
meditate grouphug to the above!

hug

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Still don't gettit... But never mind... help

However... may I join the grouphug ging ?

hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

pulling the racist card was a cheap shot, minimizing this and flippantly asking if it happened to me last week was a cheap shot
sorry minmizing a person's story of survival makes me lose my temper

*post edited to express feelings better, yet still poorly*

Your post had absolutely no context at all. It still doesn't.

If it was something you just made up on the spot I can't POSSIBLY understand why you'd have to assert that the woman was black unless that was relevant to the story. It was the ONLY adjective used to describe anyone in your "story" (not tall, short, drunk, angry, etc...)

Posting that story without context appeared to POSSIBLY be flippant TO ME. Using "black" as the ONLY adjective appeared to POSSIBLY be racist TO ME. I, personally, couldn't understand why in the story the skin color of the woman was relevant.

I asked for clarification.

I still don't understand why you made up a story about some random guy killing a child with absolutely no context in your post.

People don't often make up random short stories to express themselves in the discussion threads. I can see that I wasn't the only one confused.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yeah, settle down, i was nonplussed too

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

3,556 posts

Posted:
ok let me speak slowly and clearly for you
the story is a true one about a woman, either from chicago or new york, it is in a book about women getting out of abusive relationships, i was shown this book at a forensics meet...i cleaned up the language because the n word among others were used...this is a short version as the monologue lasts 8min
who said anything about making it up...
how is it racist to describe the family, it was a black family
first lack of adj's because this is a monologue and i had to adapt it to be read
second, other adj's: abusive, alcoholic, long, heartsore, and 12th story

why did i share this story (which is true)? because you asked why children at such a young age are most likely to die of murder...this is a descriptive example, other people share stories in discussion, why am i an exception?

maybe there should be a picture with pacifiers representing the number of child murders...maybe it can be the guy's next piece of art, make it look like a baby's face or something like that

Faith

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
The context I see in the story is a response to the question of who would want to kill an infant.. ( worded as who would have a beef with a 2 year old ) The story is even prefaced with as to murder and small children. There you have it, one example of an infant being killed.

Where did the idea that this story is made up come from ? Sure..it's a story, but not all stories are fiction.

3,556 posts

Posted:
see above, it was a book from a women's shelter, i think...the girl who performed this did a fantastic job and had her own stories to tell
we all hated to have her in our group because we'd all get discombulated from crying...we loved her but it's a hard act to follow
and back on topic, i really liked the flag hand picture

Faith

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

ok let me speak slowly and clearly for you

the story is a true one about a woman, either from chicago or new york, it is in a book about women getting out of abusive relationships, i was shown this book at a forensics meet...i cleaned up the language because the n word among others were used...this is a short version as the monologue lasts 8min

who said anything about making it up...

how is it racist to describe the family, it was a black family

first lack of adj's because this is a monologue and i had to adapt it to be read

second, other adj's: abusive, alcoholic, long, heartsore, and 12th story

why did i share this story (which is true)? because you asked why children at such a young age are most likely to die of murder...this is a descriptive example, other people share stories in discussion, why am i an exception?

maybe there should be a picture with pacifiers representing the number of child murders...maybe it can be the guy's next piece of art, make it look like a baby's face or something like that

That's all you needed to say in the beginning without the cursing.

And since you went back and CHANGED what you wrote in your earlier posts it really looks like I'm overreacting to something you didn't say.

[Awaits the "Why are you overreacting NYC?" posts...]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Page: