Forums > Social Chat > Poi and stuff - Can it be a rockers passtime ?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
E_V_I_LMosh-mosh-mosh-mosh.
346 posts

Posted:
Hope no-one minds me making a new topic - couldn't find anything that instantly filled the niche of what I'm about to ask .... wink

In my LJ I've posted that I've been touch with my old mate and that I've started spinning Poi. In some posts for the last week I've mentioned I'm gonna practice and general stuff like that.

A friend on LJ who hasn't really had much love for me lately has now posted a reply which has made me think;

Their comment being, basically;

"Poi is for people who go to dance clubs not fuvking rovk clubs jason, make yourself more annying why dont u?"

Now, like I say, due to my personal life and peoples views on stuff I'm not particularly liked by this person at the moment.

Now, I've been to my fair share of dance clubs. In fact, I have about 5/6 years on top of this person (Been clubbing, mostly Rock, for 13 years now). although, like I say, it's mostly rock/metal.

So - peoples views:

Can a 6'3", Pantera/Hatebreed/White Zombie loving rocker be accepted as a spinner ? I like my DnB, Dance, Rave, Jungle, Dance, Trance, Techno, Electro etc as much as most other clubbers though, music is my life.

Please, don't post anything about being narrow minded or owt, that's not what this is about, but just got me thinking. biggrin

Xbox360 Live ID - Sacred Apollyon

"Enemies you threaten make armies. Enemies you destroy make graves."

"Here is a test to see if your mission on earth is finished: If your alive it isn't."

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
relavent
but i prefer
6' bloke + poi + reading festival + free hugs + wasted = AWSOME!!!!!!

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

UnclassifiedLeggyGirlBRONZE Member
One day penguins will take over the world
916 posts

Posted:
oooh! free hugs!!! plus 6' bloke.... can't beat a tall guy wink

ummmm...........anybody have any suggestions as to what i can put here?!

mjk is monitoring your interwebs!

346 posts

Posted:
Well, you can, but you should reasonably expect at least a slap back. Not specifying where the slap would be, but some form of retaliation is needed !

Giants don't have to be gentle!

"Here is a test to see if your mission on earth is finished: If your alive it isn't."

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
it's more fun being smaller...

more likely to cause damage to people who deliberatly walk into them.

but that is a whole different rant.... wink

916 posts

Posted:
haha anyways, back on to topic. has anybody tried spinning to powerman 3000???

346 posts

Posted:
Or PM5k (5000) .... wink

Sooooo gonna get slapped for pointing that out I bet ...

"Now this is what it's like when worlds collide!"

*Cue two large flaming poi colliding* - I'm choreographing Poi to PM5k!

916 posts

Posted:
do you know how few people have corrected me?!ever?! not a lot! why the need to shorten it?? its fine just as it is!! lol

now what were the chances that i mentioned it and you're choreographing to it?!lol how far u got with it? and more importantly, is it any good??

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
1,965 posts

Posted:
The secrect track at the end of S.O.A.D's Toxicity is cool to spin to i belive its called Arto but don't quote me on that

Bring on the tribal drums i luv 'em

Additionally Darkcore is good to spin to (its a genre just think trance that was written by a goth and you'll get the idea)

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
Proof that metal makes you cleverer wink

https://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article2377708.ece

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

rainbowgirlmember
70 posts

Posted:
It doesn't neam metal makes you cleverer, or that being clever makes you like metal - it's a corelation! (sorry, I learn about these sorts of experiments and how the results are often presented in misleading ways or taking as being a causation when they aren't)

But i agree with the principle, most people i know are both highly intelligent and like rock/metal/"scary noisy stuff". I also dont see how any intelligent person could possibly like factory produced pop ie boy bands or any other sort of music which is as artisitc and expressive as paint-by-numbers!

Not that i object to paint by numbers, there's a time and place for it, but it would be unfair to compare a piece of real art - something somebody worked hard to dream up and bring to fruition - to a piece which only involved following instructions. And just as paint by numbers has no story or meaning behind it (at least not to the painter, maybe to the person who thought of the picture and created the instructions) it lacks depth or significance and while something can be pleasing at such superficial levels it isnt the same.

Sorry, not really to do with the topic. But oh well, you didnt HAVE to read it tongue

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars

"To alcohol, the cause of - and solution to - all of lifes problems!"

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
1,965 posts

Posted:
It might not be on topic but i do ike your argument as it is valid however i think the article is somewhat bias as there are some damned ignorant people that listen to metal and spout their small minded oppinions everywhere that they go giving the rest of us a somewhat tarnished name (heres hoping that none of us are like that).

346 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately I do know one HELL of a lot of rockers/metallers/goths/cybers etc who do totally reinforce the opinionated, pretentious, petulent and arrogant sterotype sometimes attributed to the "scenes".

The one thing that gets me - I mean REALLY irks me and narks me - are those that mock the music you like, whilst simultainiously trying to find the most obscure band they can (In order to appear elite and more hardcore to their mates) but who also like some right cheesey stuff.

Exampled - When Slipknot were still an "unknown" - before their first album released in the UK - everyone I knew loved the stuff we got off Napster. The second they got big, and weren't a cult/cool thing, every ditched them ('cept me! I love the 'Knot!) saying they were commercial and all those retarded arguements. These people still love stuff like Motley Crue and Sabbath though!

Not that there's anything wrong with them per se! Just personal taste. wink

Think I'm gonna work on an ideal poi/staff playlist .... create a CD of rock/metal/alt stuff to spin too.....

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
1,965 posts

Posted:
two words Hell Yeah to everything you said apart from Slipknot, i never relly got into them and they've only ever made one song that i like and that was 'Wait and Bleed' (imagines poi to 'wait and bleed' and thinks that it could work with some effort)

Stained_WhisperGOLD Member
Lighting up the darkness, one performance at a time
161 posts

Posted:
 Written by: E_V_I_L

Think I'm gonna work on an ideal poi/staff playlist .... create a CD of rock/metal/alt stuff to spin too.....

sounds like an awesome idea...

You are the only problem you will ever have
and you are the only solution

346 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I know too many people who sit and do that sort of "Holier than thou" Gothness, or think that by going to a rock club and standing talking about how they don't like this music anymore and they only like "Genre X" (Currently it's Drum'n'Bass .... which I also like, but meh!) that somehoe they're seen as "Oh-my-god, one of the non-rockers has deigned to bless us with their presence, aren't they oh-so-cool for now hating this music and loving something they think we know nothing about!"

Pah. Music snobs. Ya likes what ya like and dunt like wot ya dunt like.

Personally I can't stand Tool, Pearl Jam, Deftones and many others in the introspective type cerebral vein ... but I'll still dance to 'em and stuff. But when something like Slipknot comes on I love how all the self-righteous little twerps stomp off the dance-floor rolling their eyes as though it being played were somehow meant to offend them on purpose!

Or ... they critise others dancing (I spin and bounce and jump around...) when all they do is move from side-to-side and then mock other peoples dancing by imitating them. These are the same people who got me inspired to start this thread.

I did think it was an age thing. I'm 27, they're all 20. But, then I met an 18 year old last week who was totally cool and very groovy.

Obviously I just used to hang around with a group of bitches who had nothing better to do and no other way to make themselves feel good than by putting other people down.

Ooooo .... me likes epiphanies!

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
EVIL, spot on mate! When I was at Uni, I listened to loads of rock and metal, but I was also into hip-hop, trance and drum and bass. I only ever copped flak from metal elitists who saw dance music as "the enemy". The amount of times I heard "it's not real music, you push a button and the computer makes it for you" from people... If it's so friggin easy, why hasn't every one got chart hits then? It's NOT easy, its friggin difficult. Playing powerchords really fast with crap production and calling it "kvltist"? Hell all you need is a strong right hand. wink

offtopic Sorry, rant over!

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

916 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

tell me how much you want for a copy biggrin

Written by:

Yeah, I know too many people who sit and do that sort of "Holier than thou" Gothness, or think that by going to a rock club and standing talking about how they don't like this music anymore and they only like "Genre X" (Currently it's Drum'n'Bass .... which I also like, but meh!) that somehoe they're seen as "Oh-my-god, one of the non-rockers has deigned to bless us with their presence, aren't they oh-so-cool for now hating this music and loving something they think we know nothing about!"

i cant tell you how much i agree to this! i will admit, i listen to bands that not many people have heard of, but this is because i love the sound that new bands have before people discover them and they decide to make their sound more commercial. i do not, however, try to make it sound like i listen to unheard of bands to make me seem more cool and gothic or whatever.

Written by:

I did think it was an age thing. I'm 27, they're all 20. But, then I met an 18 year old last week who was totally cool and very groovy.

ahem! i am 15, and am also totally cool and groovy and like none of the idiots people have mentioned on this thread! i'm very glad that you no longer think its an age thing.

346 posts

Posted:
*Engaging patronising circuits*

You're young, you'll learn. *Pats UnclassifiedLeggyGirl on the head.*

*Dis-engaging patronising circuits*

biggrin

Nah, I think it's a culmination of small-town narrow mindedness, said people being immature self righteous and generally vile (When they have no room to be ...).

I listen to lots of music most people I know haven't heard of, but I like to try and get 'em listened to be more people.

My Chemical Romance, for exmple. I randomly saw the name in the back of a magazine a long time ago and decided that, for a giggle, I'd try and find some, just to see what it was. Ended up loving them and waiting for the 2nd Album to come out eagerly. Same with Evanesnce (My surrogate sisters fella was watching some Sky channel from Germany and randomly saw a clip and told me to look out for a band like Linkin Park called "Evan Science"!!!!!) Anberlin, Coheed and Cambria and lots of others - I love it when the bands and music I love hit the big time as they then get the tunes played in clubs and I can groove along with 'em!

Working on a playlist now .... limiting myself to 20 tracks and it'll be a reallllll mix.

Ideas thus far: Pantera, Terrorvision, Bad Religion, Sliknot, White Zombie, Pendulum, All That Remains, Atreyu and Avenged Sevenfold.

Basically fast beaty choons or funny ones !

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
 Written by: E_V_I_L

Ideas thus far: Pantera, Terrorvision, Bad Religion, Sliknot, White Zombie, Pendulum, All That Remains, Atreyu and Avenged Sevenfold.

Tsk! Where's "Lamb of God" tongue

and I'd definatly say tool as they're amazing to spin to. Much complex spinning ensues.. But as you're not a fan I may have to run off and do my own compilation.... ubbrollsmile

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Zombie, Pendulum very good to spin to, hell so are most of the others..... Lamb of God also wicked to spin to, my faves though are

NIN, my Ruin,Tool,Zombie either rob or white and masokist (? on spelling) by pendulum is wicked to hoop or staff to but has some great breaks int here for poi too

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

346 posts

Posted:
Lamb of God ... of course! Gotta consider it ...

Tool too. I may not like them per se, but I can still listen to 'em.....

916 posts

Posted:
:O see how much you;re improving!! you'll even put them on by choice now! lol

i went to go and see MCR on sunday... i ended up in hospital. one of the roughest crowds i've ever seen! although.... i was 4 away from barrier. and they were censored amazing!!! gutted though, i missed all the songs from three cheers coz of being in hospital. but still. was awesome.

and also, i met a guy there thata does poi! so random. although, and i'm so happy to say this: i was the best spinner there! lol i've never been better than anyone before! lol

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
1,965 posts

Posted:
Trust me ULG being the best spinner in your area is a drag coz then you have nobody to bounce ideas off and you end up constantly teaching people instead of learning (god i hate the poi scene here in palmy) however it is cool coz your the best.

Note to self:- go visit the spinners in Wellington

916 posts

Posted:
lol i didnt say best in the area, i just said best there! lol i'm no where near the best, loads of other cardiff spinners that are a million times better biggrin

Page: