Forums > Social Chat > Poi and stuff - Can it be a rockers passtime ?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
E_V_I_LMosh-mosh-mosh-mosh.
346 posts

Posted:
Hope no-one minds me making a new topic - couldn't find anything that instantly filled the niche of what I'm about to ask .... wink

In my LJ I've posted that I've been touch with my old mate and that I've started spinning Poi. In some posts for the last week I've mentioned I'm gonna practice and general stuff like that.

A friend on LJ who hasn't really had much love for me lately has now posted a reply which has made me think;

Their comment being, basically;

"Poi is for people who go to dance clubs not fuvking rovk clubs jason, make yourself more annying why dont u?"

Now, like I say, due to my personal life and peoples views on stuff I'm not particularly liked by this person at the moment.

Now, I've been to my fair share of dance clubs. In fact, I have about 5/6 years on top of this person (Been clubbing, mostly Rock, for 13 years now). although, like I say, it's mostly rock/metal.

So - peoples views:

Can a 6'3", Pantera/Hatebreed/White Zombie loving rocker be accepted as a spinner ? I like my DnB, Dance, Rave, Jungle, Dance, Trance, Techno, Electro etc as much as most other clubbers though, music is my life.

Please, don't post anything about being narrow minded or owt, that's not what this is about, but just got me thinking. biggrin

Xbox360 Live ID - Sacred Apollyon

"Enemies you threaten make armies. Enemies you destroy make graves."

"Here is a test to see if your mission on earth is finished: If your alive it isn't."

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Nowt wrong with rock music... i listen mostly to it myself.. plus its good to spin to and juggle.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
1) What's LJ? umm
2) Definitely smile Although what I think you'll find is most rockers/mettlers here also have a soft spot for dance moosic of some form... There's very few rock/metal purists on these boards at any rate (that I know of), yet there does seem to be more dance purists...

For me, poi and the like actually got me more into dance music, I was much more of a "Dance music is generally shite" person before I started spinning and hearing good dance music smile

3) Hatebreed... How cheery wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
mmmhuh. there's loads of rockers.

biggrin

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

346 posts

Posted:
1 - LJ - Livejournal. Just a blog site.

2 - I've always had a liking for any music, except Country and Western (but the exception that prooves the rule is Garth Brooks). Always have, just that I have long hair, facial hair and piercings. Guess that means I rock to the core hunh ?ubblol

3 - Hatebreed - Aye, nice and stompy shoutyness !

Then again, I am now listening to some Ben Harper.

"Here is a test to see if your mission on earth is finished: If your alive it isn't."

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I got into poi from seeing people do it in Rock Clubs.

In my more erratic testosterone-poi days it was fun to do it to stuff like Motorhead's 'Ace of Spades', Machinehead's 'The Blood The Sweat and Tears' and NIN's 'Sin'...

But I gradually learned to just chill-the-f**k out and relax. Spinning had generally drawn me out of listening to metal and made re-visit alot of the non-metal items in my CD collection as well as checking out new genres more extensively than I used to.

Now quite an avid listener of electro-funk, gypsy-beats hybrids, Spanish Flamenco (ha!) and others I can't even think of right now... I rarely listen to metal now at home or on my MP3 player but I still now and again visit the rockclubs and just unleash the beast within...

Now I need to re-learn the Macarena...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
dude, I think you rock! I read some of your posts in the PLAY thread and you got a great attitude!!
poistaffjuggling etc isn't confined to any sort of music! That's the joy of it, you can spin to mozart or hatebreed or even Britney if you want, and I know deep down we all want to listen to Britney because she write such deep lyrics.... getting off track now,

er... whatever, bounce to whatever floats your boat and inspires your spinning! I bet there are some moves that could evolve out of moshing actually.... oooh, choreo ideas hahahhehehhe, bye!

Lx

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

346 posts

Posted:
Groovy - Sounds like you have a varied music collection Neon !

Elasta - Britney. Mmmmm. Yeah, it's her lyrics I like her for. wink

Mosh moves. Hmmm ... probably, I do spin around a lot and move very energetically. Maybe I'll give it a go some time, once I've figured out what the smeg I'm doin' !

sassyMy mother advises not to stand on the dryer whilst drunk
43 posts

Posted:
ditto

TOTALLY!

And I love Kamatachi from the against album. Good rockin' tribal wholeness.

Then again, I can't help but get worked up to Iron Maiden's number of the beast....

Though, spinning has gotten me into alot of industrial stuff as of late...

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Punk Rock purist here (pretty much).

I can't stand much else on its own, with a few exceptions, but I find spinning to anything with rock/metal on the end near impossible to spin to.

Much nicer to spin to Manu Chow then to The Sex Pistols, innit?

I don't think Poi/staff whatever fills any particular niche... you just go for it son!

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
87wt2gxq7 you hypocrit! When I said I didn't like psytrance, you said "and you call yourself a spinner?" tongue

EVIL, sure can. If it was impossible to be a spinner and rocker, then you'd be a fragment of my imagination (which of course you MIGHT be since the whole world might just be something that exists for my own pleasure). But let's assume you're real, you spin and listen to rock, so obviously it's possible tongue

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I prefer Ratamahata... biggrin

Rob Zombie's 'Superbeast' is a good one too...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Dude, have you ever tried spinning to Anaal Nathrakh? It's sooooo much fun. I like loads of metal from REAL heavy stuff (seen Napalm Death live about 12 times) to Power Metal, to stuff like Tool! My all time favourite for spinning is Chaos AD by Sepultura. And I converted a load of people who went to Wacken last year to the joys of Poi!

That said, I make dance music as well. biggrin

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

346 posts

Posted:
ubblol

That'd be cool .... Chaos AD hunh ? Yeah, good solid beat I can see how that'd be cool.

Personally I can't wait to have a bit more practice and some more moves etc (Basically just drastically improve what I'm doing !) and then start spinning along to things like White Zombie's "Super Charger Heaven" or Dope's "Bitch".

Ooooo .... looking through my CDs now ... mwahahahahahahahah.

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
well i used ti be 6ft tall goth lol but like many people i got drawn away by poi because to me its so much nicer to spin to dance and drum and bass etc...

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
while i don't listen to quite as heavy stuff...
nonpoint is a fun spin and tool
if you can find the beat it doesn't matter what you spin to
in a mosh everything is flying around anyways, why not poi?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

TastesLikePurpleGOLD Member
addict
498 posts

Posted:
bottom line - whatever music you find gets you spinning is the music that's best for you. People have different tastes about what they like to spin to - there's no right or wrong and it all depends on your mood at the time. i myself listen to mostly rock, grunge, metal etc, but i find having a steady beat like with drum n bass to spin to helpful, but if i'm not in the mood to spin to that, then i wont.

to me it sounds like your friend is getting tied down by some narrow minded stereotyping.

Thoughts arrive like butterflies...

TastesLikePurpleGOLD Member
addict
498 posts

Posted:
I know you can't hear it, but these are definately listening to Opeth

Thoughts arrive like butterflies...

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
well i'm pretty sure the original maori poi spinners weren't listening to dance music, so it's kind of odd there's even that stereotype at all... of course you can like whatever music you like AND spin poi, they are seperate things, whether or not you choose to combine them and how is up to you.

It's like saying all athletes listen to chariots of fire whilst training... or even all dancers have to do ballet to tchaicovsky... and most people would probably say those ideas were stoopid... :P

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

346 posts

Posted:
Aye - all views that I've come to realise myself and already knew from Music + Anything = Do what the smeg you want!

Thanks people - just wanted to make sure I wasn't steadily going mental.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
 Written by: E_V_I_L

Thanks people - just wanted to make sure I wasn't steadily going mental.

Oh, you are, but not because of the spinning/rock music ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

346 posts

Posted:
Mwah. How can you tell from just a few posts.... have I left the webcam on again ? You saw the dismemberment didn't you ?

Damnit. Stoopid webkam.

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
spinning to rick music is just the best for me. i am not a huge dance fan, i like some but still spinning and connecting to the rock music still is the best

all in my opinion of cause

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Its beter to spin to something you wouldnt normally do and tailer what you do around the particular song, that way once you find something that clicks you feel all proud and acomplished. Lots of fun.

But baaah I really dont like people who arnt willing to listen to a type of music because they are afraid to be heard doing it, my brother is like that, glad he has moved out though he is such a tosser! Your mate sounds abit like one maybe, not a tosser smile, I mean afraidy person hehe, allthough im basing this soley one one post ubbrollsmile

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

346 posts

Posted:
Nah, she is a music snob .... in fact, she's a snob about everything. And in fact, not a very nice person at all.

Prides herself on being upfront, honest and all that stuff when in fact it's just an excuse for her to be vile, obnoxious and bitchy.

I think she was out in the local rock club last night. I was hammmmmmmered. I didn't even say hello.

However there was a girl in there on the dancefloor spinning Poi !

Oh, how I laughed on the inside ! Yayness !

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
why worry mate, spin to what ever you like. personally I can't stand dance music, and often spin with no music at all eek

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Hmm never considered trying to spin to rock or similar...

At Big Day Out i was in the crowd for Tool and had some glowsticks but just couldnt quite get that beat like i would with dance/trance etc...

But ultimately just do what you love, what makes you happy. In my mind i dont think of rock fans as spinners, but to me that just makes it even more interesting and captivating when i do see one since it is normally a more unique style. Well at least my .02c

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

Stained_WhisperGOLD Member
Lighting up the darkness, one performance at a time
161 posts

Posted:
i dunno, each one to their own hey. Personally im a goth rocker, and while i must admit Dance music does have something to bring to poi, i prefer MUCH MUCH more to poi on rock music than on trance..... the first thing i think about when i listen to my rock music in the morning is what moves i can incorporate to this beat... and actually found muself "air poi'ing" to the music, if you feel the music , whatever it may be, you can poi to it!

Disturbed,
SOAD,
Chevelle;
Slipknot;
korn *new album*
and other soft rock band i find to work the best....

So nothing wrong with that dude! youre not alone on the world LOL

ROCK ON! bounce bounce bounce

You are the only problem you will ever have
and you are the only solution

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
 Written by: MikefromGlos

well i used ti be 6ft tall goth

Have you shrunk since? umm Or grown? umm

wink

I never saw poi as being particularly to do with the dance scene. Glow stuff maybe, but not fire poi especially.

I don't really like spinning to dance music because i find it really repetitive, so it doesn't inspire me too much. I spent 3 days spinning at a trance festival in New Zealand, and just couldn't get into the music at all. I realise that some dance music is better than others, and i have enjoyed spinning to dance on occasion, especially drum and bass.

My favourite spinning music would depend on mood, but I'd say it probably includes NiN, A Perfect Circle, Leftfield and Sublime. So a bit of a mix then.

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

346 posts

Posted:
Really repetitive stuff I don't like anyway - those mixes that just go on for huge tracts of time with no reason. Yack. Like my music to keep me interested.

Tried spinning (My few rudimentary moves) to some songs last night ...

Dope, Machine Head, White Zombie, Jack Johnson, Ben Harper, Terrorvision, Rancid ... all quite groovy and beaty.

BrokenLeavesSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:
Your friend makes me angry. They seem to fall into that there is a certan thing you have to do to be of a a sub culture group of people and I hate it...... Of course you can spin to rock! You can spin to anything you like!

and anyway I am sure there was that erm Probot?(maybe) vid with the girl in the leather bakini thingy spinning fire!

Plus i sometimes spin poi in rock city if I have some to hand!
EDITED_BY: BrokenLeaves (1172701232)

Page: