• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Discussion > Australia to ban standard lightbulb

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 12
dream
SILVER Member since Jul 2003

dream

currently mending

Total posts: 493
Posted:Its not often that I feel the need to congratulate the Howard government for anything...

but

Written by: ITV.com

http://www.itv.com/news/world_09b7e74c7547fc994f942ae04231f306.html

Australia is to ban the standard lightbulb in a bid to cut down its greenhouse gas emissions.

Environment Minister Malcolm Turnbull described the move to phase out incandescent bulbs and replace them with more energy-efficient compact fluorescent bulbs as a world first.

He said it could reduce Australia's emissions by four million tonnes by 2012 and cut household power bills by up to 66 per cent.

"If the whole world switched to these bulbs today, we would reduce our consumption of electricity by an amount equal to five times Australia's annual consumption of electricity," said Mr Turnbull.

Prime Minister John Howard said the plan would help all Australians play a part in cutting the country's harmful gas emissions.

Mr Howard has become a global warming convert, conceding in recent months for the first time that human activity is having an effect on rising temperatures.

However he has steadfastly refused to bring Australia into line with most of the world and ratify the Kyoto protocol on greenhouse gas reductions, arguing that doing so could damage Australia's coal-dependent economy.

The UK ought to do the same... As should everywhere else.

What d'ya think?

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

Delete Topic

polarity
SILVER Member since May 2005

polarity

veteran

Total posts: 1228
Posted:Fluorescents are efficient once they're running. To strike the arc and get them to light up takes the same amount of electricity as it does to run one for about half an hour. That makes old blinking bulbs, and ones where the gas has started to leak out more expensive to keep using. They're also not as economical where they're turned on and off frequently.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

Delete

NYC

NYC

NYC

Total posts: 9232
Posted:You got a reference on that half hour figure?

I always wonder if I should shut off my bedroom light if I'm still in the house and will be back in soon.

Is that like industrial fluorescents or little lightbulb sized ones too?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

Stout
SILVER Member since May 2004

Stout

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1872

polarity

polarity

veteran

Posted:I got that figure from a friend who did electrical engineering. He builds tesla coils, so he knows all about making arcs.

I guess it's the same with any kind of fluorescent, but worse with the big ones. The arc turns the gas in the tube to plasma, which conducts electricity. Until the arc is struck the gas has a huge resistance, so needs a big jolt to get started. I know my UV cannon rated for 400w can blow fuses that should be OK for 700w, as it takes a huge amount to start up.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Delete

Pyrolific
BRONZE Member since Jan 2001

Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium

Total posts: 3289
Posted:<free party tip o the day>

yep - thats why you cant plug all your fluro tubes in at the same time when running off a gene close to capacity. they wont start smile plug em in one at a time and you can get em going tho smile

</>

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Delete

polarity

polarity

veteran

Posted:And you can save money on those little plug in starters by using just one to start them all. They don't need to be plugged in all te time.

Delete

Page: 12