*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Hello all! smile

I've been a bit quiet on HoP recently because I've been busy developing software for the HyperLights. I've just about finished the compiler / USB bit of software that allows you to re-program them now so my next challenge is to build a nice GUI interface to make writing new sequences really easy.

I've made a start using wxPython which allows you to (for the moment) just drag and drop text from a list of commands into another window. I'll probably re-code the whole thing in C++ when the Python version has got to a stage where I'm happy with the design. It's just faster to build prototypes in Python smile

Does anyone here have any experience with wxWidgets of Python that would like to contribute? The GUI will be open source and free - I'm going to put the code into a publicly available subversion repository so if you'd like access, give me a buzz and I'll set up some permissions for you.

Here's a very crude mockup of the sort of thing I was going to try and build.

The top left will have a preview showing a person spinning the current sequence.

The bottom left will have all the commands you can use, the sequences you've made and the sequences available via the website.

The right hand side is where you make new sequences. To make one you just drag and drop colours, fades, sequences etc. into the right hand panel.

Each one will appear as a block with inputs (colour, time, number of times to repeat etc.). You can either set them explicitly (like the colour argument in the setcolour command or the time argument in the fade command in the example above), or you can use a parameter like the time argument in the colour command or the colour argument in the fade command.

Does anyone understand any of that? Re-reading it, it sounds pretty complex even to me! A demo would probably make it clearer...

Stay tuned smile

Cake or Death?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I like the preview preview picture smile

ubbrollsmile

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
All part of the service wink

Here's my first stab at the GUI (testing the drag and drop from the commands and sequences on the left to the design panel on the right):

Non-Https Image Link

Cake or Death?