Forums > Other Toys > Fire Fan handles...mine's weird

Login/Join to Participate

Stephanie_ClarkBRONZE Member

Posted:
Ok, I'm a newbie...(shut up!) and I have a weird set of handles on my fans. They're a d-shape handle and I suspect they're for show instead of actual fire work, although they've got the spokes for the wicking. Any advice on how to work with them?

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Firstly, welcome to HoP Kolibri smile never be ashamed of being new at something - we're all learning no matter how long we've been at it!

Could you possibly put up an image to show us? I have used two different styles of fans - one which has a round ring handle (akin to that which HoP sells) and a cresecent shape handle. Both are workable but require different handling and what you may do with one grip style you cannot do with another.

You're only limited by your imagination with fans smile If you have a history of dance or martial arts, draw from that. Think of fans as an extension of your own hands and dance with them - focus on that moreso than you would on technicals.

Best of luck! hug

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Posted:
Ok...this is the handle on my pair

Non-Https Image Link

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
Interesting. I can't tell from the picture how large the 'D' is, but I can see how it can be constricting. If possible, are you able to wrap your hand around the ring with the 'D' shape being into the base of your palm? Its difficult for me to explain without a clear palm-facing pic (I don't have one handy i'm afraid), but this is the best one I have handy:

If you look closely, the ring is held into the base of my palm, with my fingers around the top part of the ring (in your case, where the unwrapped D part is is, or the straiight part of the wrapped D).

Here is a clearer pic of me holding the fans, but I was being a poser and my palms are facing away from the camera ubblol

And finally here is a shop pic of the fans that I use, straight from HomeofPoi:

Feel free to PM me or write here if you have any more questions smile
EDITED_BY: Brenn (1171764186)

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
Mine are just like that. I tend to hold them with the base of the grip in my palm and my fingers wrapped around the straight bit. They are a censored to spin though, so I am going to get a little ring put in on top of the straight bit.

Non-Https Image Link

This is what mine look like, if that's helpful, the grip is about 4-5" in diameter I guess.

Oh and here is a pic of someone holding them: https://i7.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/7f/16/7e1d_1.JPG

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
Kash's handles look the closest to Kalibri's, so she would be the best person to ask in terms of holding them and moves smile As I said in the first post, it's limited by your creativity.

If you want some inspiration, you can view some fire fan work that I do here -> clicky clicky

biggrin

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
My advice: enforce the outside ring and cut the "d" part out. shrug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
Hey all,

The d-shape is useful for flutters. The straight part allows your fingers to pull the round edge into your palm. By pulling and relaxing you can get some nice flutters. The d-shape shouldn't get in the way for anything else as centripetal force will pull the fan away from you during any spins.

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
.... *ponders* "flutter" umm as in:

Written by: dictionary

v.intr.

1. To wave or flap rapidly in an irregular manner:
curtains that fluttered in the breeze.
1. To fly by a quick light flapping of the wings.
2. To flap the wings without flying.
3. To move or fall in a manner suggestive of tremulous flight: “Her arms rose, fell, and fluttered with the rhythm of the song” (Evelyn Waugh).
4. To vibrate or beat rapidly or erratically: My heart fluttered wildly.
5. To move quickly in a nervous, restless, or excited fashion; flit.

v.tr.

To cause to flutter: “fluttering her bristly black lashes as swiftly as butterflies' wings” (Margaret Mitchell).
n.

1. The act of fluttering.
2. A condition of nervous excitement or agitation: Everyone was in a flutter over the news that the director was resigning.
3. A commotion; a stir.
4. Pathology. Abnormally rapid pulsation, especially of the atria or ventricles of the heart.
5. Rapid fluctuation in the pitch of a sound reproduction resulting from variations in the speed of the recording or reproducing equipment.
6. Chiefly British. A small bet; a gamble: “If they like a flutter, Rick will get them better odds than the bookies” (John le Carré).

[Middle English floteren, from Old English floterian.]
flutterer flut'ter·er n.
fluttery flut'ter·y adj.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Posted:
 Written by: kash

Mine are just like that. I tend to hold them with the base of the grip in my palm and my fingers wrapped around the straight bit. They are a censored to spin though, so I am going to get a little ring put in on top of the straight bit.

Non-Https Image Link

This is what mine look like, if that's helpful, the grip is about 4-5" in diameter I guess.

Oh and here is a pic of someone holding them: https://i7.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/7f/16/7e1d_1.JPG

Yeah, I think I probably got mine off the same person you must have. Did you get them from the person in Washington? I have a bit more different design, but same manufacturer I am thinking.

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
I can't remember the name, they are in the US, I got linked to them from someone I know from the poispinners community on LJ, she's part of a dance troupe who also make a small amount of props.
They are very distinctive, so I would be surprised if there was more than one person making them. I have asked her for video footage of them using them in performance, so I can see how they handle them, but as yet have had no reply, but I know they are putting together a website, so hopefully they will put some up there.

I do like the fans, they are not a bad weight (even though they have the flame metalwork on them they are lighter than a lot of others on the market) and they are beautiful. There is a fair amount you can do with them with a static grip, but spinning them is hard, as the hoop is so big, which is why I want to modify them. I bet I can do something handy with a metal curtain hoop, some wire and some insulation tape - I'll get it welded if it works - so I shall let you know how I get on.

Posted:
The only complaint I have about my set of fans is the spinning difficulty. I was actually thinking about the ring idea and was pondering if it would be possible to set it within the bottom half of the handle without altering any other aspects of the handle....hmmmm.....

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

.... *ponders* "flutter" umm as in:

check out this rather useful thread [Old link]

E ubbrollsmile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
Oh Kolibri, watch out for them thar metal flames. I was practicing some little throws the other night and gouged a chunk out of my hand when I slipped. I've had some more thoughts on grips for spins, if I can I will see if I can get some pics/video up

Posted:
^ Yeah, I have a couple of loverly cuts on my legs from hitting myself when practicing in shorts. I don't really notice it till the next day when I see it.

I don't think I'm coordinated enough yet to attempt some throws. Actually, I think I'm going to have to lay off the fans for a few days because I fell down the stairs yesterday and I tried to beak my fall with arm and now it's kinda really sore...hehehe...^_^; -is klutzy-

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: kolibri

^ Yeah, I have a couple of loverly cuts on my legs from hitting myself when practicing in shorts. I don't really notice it till the next day when I see it.

I don't think I'm coordinated enough yet to attempt some throws. Actually, I think I'm going to have to lay off the fans for a few days because I fell down the stairs yesterday and I tried to beak my fall with arm and now it's kinda really sore...hehehe...^_^; -is klutzy-

Aww...Hope you feel better soon! We need more fanneristas! hug

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

Posted:
^ Thanks

Fanneristas? Never heard us being called that before...lol...

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
I just bought a similar set of fans last week (thus just finding this thread) and when playing with them was wondering how others were spinning/playing with them, since I'm finding the handles feel a little awkward to me.

And yep, those suckers are SHARP. I put a nice little cut in my arm the day I got them and didn't notice it for hours. I'm terrible with them, as I've only played with poi and staff before, and I'm finding that more coordination and more danclike moves than I'm used to are required to look good, but I still adore them. Not to mention they're really building up my arm strength. I may see actual shoulder-muscles in my future!

So if Kash works something out with adding a smaller spinning hoop that helps I'd be very interested in knowing about it.

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
My practice ones are finally ready for action, but, after reading some one this, I think I'll go get some tennis balls to gut for tips until I get good!

Although, much of the evening of them building build consisted of me saying at random intervals, "Dude, that's going to hurt."

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i'm so used to hop fans taht i'm horrified at the concept of not having smooth rings for elagant buzzsaw moves... you must have excellent control!
smile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Kombi guyBRONZE Member
HOP OM
225 posts

Posted:
Ive always found the HOP five finger fans to be controlable and sturdy, without being fragile and bendy kinda design........The finger loop design for me has always played a part in achieving nice transitions without letting the product take control. A funky fan design if one is looking for a product to last... ubbrollsmile
juggle weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley juggle

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kombi guy

Ive always found the HOP five finger fans to be controlable and sturdy, without being fragile and bendy kinda design........The finger loop design for me has always played a part in achieving nice transitions without letting the product take control. A funky fan design if one is looking for a product to last... ubbrollsmile
juggle weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley juggle

Seconded smile ubbrollsmile

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy