Forums > Social Discussion > Workshop spinning festival ideas thread

Login/Join to Participate

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
I thought it would be cool if there was a thread with ideas for things that could happen at spinnning gathering that are fun and interactive

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Erdmm6auZ0s has some really cool workshoppyness and in particular the one set of poi getting passed down the line. We did similar stuff with converyor belts at the contact jamming workshop at common ground last year, and matt did a similar wibbling line at his [Old link] workshop.

One thing that will hopefully happen at [Old link] and [Old link] this year will be a candle circle inside a hall with music for people to improve to.

so what other things have u seen at spinning events/ideas are out there?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Improve? You want them to get better in a candle circle?
*picturing someone spinning, getting better and suddenly convulsing on the floor with someone shouting over them "You are better! Amen!"*

ubblol

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
well, besides the poi passing, there was the "stupid move" portion of the evening, where people tried just, well, idiotic things... things like extra polyrhythmic (which has a very long name and I'm lazy), the oral butterfly, double angel rolls, etc.

also, combat poi featuring negative space, ala jousting

ubblol

also I feel that the workshop structure (alternating teaching with practice time) helped stimulate people's creativity.

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
at the tas circus festival Mr Spin gave a master class on Combat Juggling ubblol best workshop TEVER!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Poi Gladiators:

Best played on hot days with water balloons in the net bag things that you put washing detergent tablets in, tied onto shoelaces. Last person with intact poi wins.

Not really a workshop, but good silly fun smile

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
dude - I think its worth pointing out that theres almost always music in a hall for people to spin and improve to. First year at CG we even did a full doof - not just a bit of music! smile

Candles look cool - but have a lot of risks unless there is someone attentive about while they are lit. Even things like marking the wall because they have been placed too close can easily happen because a well meaning punter might just move one and not realise it can't be placed too close to the wall (this has happened at our parties before).

Are you talking more about a workshop where there is a spin circle where people take turns? cuz if that were the case, then whoever was running the workshop could look after the candles. sounds like an awesome after-dinner workshop.

9-11pm Friday and Sunday - spiritual circle spinning with Ben-ja-men.

I'll pen that one in for CG smile

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Cross country object manipulation relay. Through the hoop, over the log, around the gathered random people then tag team to the next member with new toy or maybe the same toy passed over.

Obstacle course blindfolded with a guide person (maybe on all fours)...with toy of choice.

Combat hooping is always fun. Last hoop still spinning on the waist wins.

The poi card game (I think it was Garthys idea) That was amusing. Requires a reasonable level of skill eek

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
we'd actually hoped to play that at the workshop. maybe the next one... wink

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Jcamp (UWA jugglecamp) last year did a getting to know you eveining where you showcased your "special move". Arsns moose got featured wink ubblol

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

HOP Newsletter