Forums > Help! > My Left Hand Is Misbehaving!!

Login/Join to Participate

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
I've only been spining poi for a lil while now, but for some reason my left hand doesn't seem to want to comply with what i want it to do frown When switching from forward circles to backwards circles (and vice versa) it seems to want to curve the poi infront of me! And when I'm attempting reels, it doesn't want to move in time with my right hand, which results in colisons and me being hit in a number of painful places!

Is there something I'm doing wrong that I'm just not seeing? or is it one of those "practice makes perfect" situations, where I unfortunately have to put up with it until my left hand learns that misbehaving is not fun?
Is there anything I can do to improve my situation? moves or excercises i can practice to increase my left hands co-ordination with the rest of my body? (or is it the rest of my body that's out of sync ubblol )

Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated smile

Cheers,
3C weavesmiley

Speed of Dark: As yet unmeasured, but believed to be faster than light owing to its ability to move so quickly out of light's way. -- Terry Pratchett

[total number of times I've been hit in the head with poi: 10! <--- Double Digits!!!!]

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-sCXbZ4slc

This gets a little advanced by the end of it, but the exercises he mentions about moving hands in relation to the body and stuff are worth looking at.

Remember, poi patterns are only easy after you've gotten the headaches and the bruises smile

Joe x

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
Thanks Joe, I really appreciate it!
I've only gotten one bruise to far (tho after todays practice I'd say I'll have a LOT more) ... Looks like i have a looong way to go before I get comfortable with these ubblol

Speed of Dark: As yet unmeasured, but believed to be faster than light owing to its ability to move so quickly out of light's way. -- Terry Pratchett

[total number of times I've been hit in the head with poi: 10! <--- Double Digits!!!!]

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Almost everyone has a hand that needs more practice than the other one when they spin. Most people are naturally either left handed or right handed and this is the same for spinning. One hand will find learning moves much easier than the other one. You just have to give the slower learning side of your body more time and practice to catch up.

As you progress, the difference in time it takes each hand to learn new moves will become less obvious.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
Thank you Skulduggery, I figured it was something like that, I'm doing my best to be patient with my left hand smile

This makes me even more determinded to practice ubblol

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
It helps to do things with both hands seperately... if your left hand's the difficult one, you can't just expect it to go along with the right one in the reels.

Remember that every move with two poi in two hands is a combination of what each hand does, so take some extra time practicing your left hand on its own before putting the two together smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
_3C_, like skully said, more or less everyone goes though the same process abut it does get quicker (I found that learning to juggle at the same time as I was learning to spin helped a lot).

You don't just have to think about it when spinning though. I spent a week with the contents of my pockets reversed (right side stuff in left pocket) so that every time I got my phone or keys I had to use the other hand for that task - I'm not sure it made be a better spinner, but it did help my left hand get better at doing things...

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
Thanks Sym thats a good idea, putting stuff in my left pocket, my left hand doesn't do an awful lot of work ... (i bet my right hand would give out about the amount of work it does if it could)

I'll try using left hand only for a bit during poi practice too.

Thanks you guys ^_^

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
my right hand often misbehaves, sometimes i can't stop it..............

it's such a relief when it ends though wink ubblol

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
okay, something wierd happening here....My Home says a new post was here....and the main index says ravehead posted here....and yet....nothing.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I saw that too - what did you say ravehead!

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Housekeeping no doubt...it was unhelpful, irrelevant and "typical"

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
oooh! Was that a personal attack eek

Have you SEEN how many scaffold boards that man can lift with his left hand?

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
no on both counts..I only attacked the post.

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
*confused*

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
3C,,don't be confused, just ignore it.

Anyways..back on topic. I agree with Birgit's suggestion that you work with your left hand on it's own. I had the same problem ( and sometimes still do ) so I regularly pick up one poi and spin that with my left hand. The idea is to hammer the move, or pattern into my "muscle memory" through rote and so far it seems to work, mind you I am a little weird when it comes to drilling moves as I tend to "loose" them fairly quickly.

Maybe loose is the wrong word..more like I become sloppy and it's usually my left poi that ends up hitting me.

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
yeah my left poi hits me too. Which isn't a good thing, I'm prone to extreme nosebleeds (ones that take a while to stop and my bathroom looks like a scene from a horror movie when I'm done) and for some reason my poi like to hit me right in the face!

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
yep...spinning forwards is all about crotch shots, spinning backwards is all about face shots and butterfly/reverse butterfly is all about not knowing where you're going to be hit.

Softer poi, like socks filled with rice ( I actually use aquarium gravel after that incident with rice filled sock poi, a rain shower, the trunk of my car, and a hazmat team ) or even stuffed animals on strings are a lot more "friendly" to hit yourself with than killers like tennis balls or kevlar wicks.

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
Yeah I was thinking about making some practice sock poi so i don't go injuring myself ^_^

I think socks filled with rice is a better bet....I don't think my Beanie Babies would appreciate being swung around...I can see the looks from the children in my area now! ubblol

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sym

I saw that too - what did you say ravehead!

I know what he said. It was very inappropriate but funny ubblol

Anyways, back on topic, I find that left/right handedness rings true even with single staff. One way of combatting this is, whenever you attempt to learn a trick, do it the opposite way you normally would. i.e. learn it with your left hand first as opposed to your right if you're right-centric. I guess with poi, if you put more emphasis on your left hand when learning it as opposed to 'taking the easy path' and emphasising the hand you're more comfortable with, it will allow you to get balanced on both sides quicker instead of learning it with your preferred hand and dismissing the other because 'i'm right handed' etc.

I hope that made sense, but I feel I'm just repeating what has been said before smile

&#2384;

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brenn

I know what he said. It was very inappropriate but funny ubblol

eek oooooh I know what he said, yeah my sister warned me that it sounded like somthing else other than learning poi ubblol

well seen as I haven't really learned much at all (its raining again today frown) I'll try making learning tricks backwards my forwards....if that makes sense, seen as its easier for my right hand biggrin