Forums > Videos > Fire Arts links to Martial Arts

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Indias Martial Art, Kalari Payat. Watch the guy from 01:14 doing the good ol staff

Whoever comes across some visible merge/ fusion of Martial and Fire Arts AND is able to hold up a videocam, or post the link - welcome

EDITED_BY: FireTom (1172561862)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
That was bloody cool.

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Well, the fire was kinda corny... But that long flexible whip sword thing was pretty cool. Never seen one of those before.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
Yeah, actually. Anybody know what they're called? umm

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
You mean this chinese 9 section steel whip? wink

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I was immensely chuffed when I started to learn how to use my 9 section whip at play, I have much more fun with ropedart now though, there's not a lot you can do with a 9 section compared to them, or poi even.

9section whip - Jiu Jie Bian (Chinese)

The thing in the first video though, is not a 9section, but a very, very flexible long sword, I've seen one only once before, in a chinese martial arts movie (i forget which sadly), where it was worn as a belt, a stealthed weapon.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

mykrmeburning from inside
165 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

You mean this chinese 9 section steel whip? wink

yay - loved that - i wanna try!!
biggrin ubbrollsmile

(right now thinking about how´d a staff kung fu set look like when on flame...and butterfly swords...)

that's YOUR opinion...

from fire we´re born, to fire we return...

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
its actually kalled the urumi AKA spring sword. Its got several several flexible strips of metal, that not only cut and make a lot of noise, but can creat sparks. The other weapon they were using is called a bundi dagger

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
??? I'm not questioning that this weapon might exist, but what they are using in that flick is definitely not made from metal stripes who cut... excuse me for sounding like a smartass rolleyes

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
I dont mean to sound like a smart alec, but I'm pretty sure it is. Wikipedia says, "The urumi or chuttuval is a long sword made of flexible steel, sharp enough to cut into flesh, but flexible enough to be rolled into a tight coil. It was used and still can be found in South India, and is one of the weapons learned by practitioners of the martial art of Kalari payattu. It was most popular in the North Malabar Coast of Kerala state, India, and is often mentioned in the ballads of the region."
Kalaripayattu is the same martial art as seen in the first video. A picture of an urumi coiled up also shows great resemblance to the weapon before it is swung around in the movie (1:02).

Non-Https Image Link

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Twisthem: Highly appreciated input.

I was simply referring to this one:

Non-Https Image Link

smile

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
Gotcha ubbrollsmile
they are both pretty cool weapons biggrin

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
... and this one

Kung Fu meteor

Let me tell you something: Many ppl (IMHO) do oppose or ignore the tight links between the art of spinning and the art of manipulating a weapon. To me this is ignorance.

IMHO the connection is much closer as we may be ready to admit. Why we are denying that? I dunno, maybe it's this: "I wannabe a "good and peaceful person"-attitude...

Whereas (IMNSHO) one doesn't necessarily contradict the other. "We" are performing a very old and beautiful artform - highly skilled and developed - foremost: In order to display and perform beauty, not in order to fight and kill.

This transition is one of the most admirable approaches - when the roots are not neglected. Much like: Yes, what I do COULD be used in order to fight, but I choose to use it in order to bring light (fire) to the people, as a blessing and expressing my beauty, as an inspiration...

ubbangel rolleyes mad2 spank footinmouth
(censored preachertell...)

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
I have a few ropedart videos on my youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=KaelGotRice

:]

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Thanks Kael, I'm really curious about the forthcoming developments.

A nine section Poi (in pairs that is) might be too much to manipulate in terms of weight and air-resistance from the flames. But single handed I can well imagine it. wink

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
The urumi in that pic (and by description) is not the sword in the original (indian) vid being discussed though, though the individual pieces look like they're made the same way, in the vid it is a single long (loooong) blade)

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

MagicStuntsBRONZE Member
stranger and stranger
19 posts

Posted:
Bruce Lee was once asked in a TV interview why he spent so much time learning to fight to which he responded 'in order not to fight!' (makes sense to me).

After years of intensive training with Korean 'bong' (similar to japanese 'bo' staff but usually shorter) I got the bright idea of wrapping the ends with towel and lighting it up. looked brilliant and i started to perform regularly with it. This was somewhere around 1989 or so. Then I discovered an Argentinian folk dance where long strings are weaved around with balls on the end which tap out a rythm on the floor so i built fire chains (muuuch longer and heavier than poi) and performed with those too. About 5 years later a member of the audience approached me after a show to ask if i would teach him poi. eek 'what's poi?' I asked, redface and a whole new journey began. All my techniques and movements are based in my martial art, and if I understand the history of poi correctly, it was a form of training for the warriors too. Please correct me if i'm wrong here, i need to learn something every day.

Got a brand new gallery