Forums > Social Chat > does anyone here own a corset??

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
UnclassifiedLeggyGirlBRONZE Member
One day penguins will take over the world
916 posts

Posted:
well now, i'm thinking about getting a few corsets, mainly from this site:

www.fairygothmother.com

fantastic corsets/dresses and i love them to bits, i'm getting a few of the items there for my prom dress, but was wondering if anyone on here owns a corset and could give me a bit of advice? i'm gonna be wearing the corset after my prom, but not for waist training (not yet anyways, dont know about the future)

help please?? thanks biggrin

ummmm...........anybody have any suggestions as to what i can put here?!

mjk is monitoring your interwebs!

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr Majestik

Written by: Gidg

rolleyes I think the guys like them more than we do.

no way, i wince when i look at them cause they look painful. i'm sure most guys would rather you were wearing nothing at all :P

In your dreams buddy. wink

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
*giggle*

We know better, don't we Gidg!?! rolleyes biggrin

Stacy, hun...the friend that has all the corsets wasn't at circle yesterday, so I couldn't ask her about where she gets hers...but I think that last site that I posted is about the best one that I've seen...and the prices seem to be as reasonable as you're gonna get!!!

I absolutely love the combo of the one with the green dress and black corset...that's completely my style!!!

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

916 posts

Posted:
i'm not too fussed on greeny coloured ones, the colour doesnt suit me, even the darker ones, its kinda a shame since i quite like the colours *curses her skin tone* grrrr....

no worries about not being able to ask your friend, i've been given loads of advice on here biggrin what do people think of corsets with jeans??

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Corsets are great with jeans...in fact...that's what the friend of mine in question wears hers with the most!!! I think that they are exceptional with jeans, cuz it's such a contrast...!!!
Check out the camo one on the 'trends' site...would be perfect!!!

...and as far as the green one goes...was the dress and not the corset...from number 20 to 25, I believe it was...the corset itself is black!!! I do green really well because I'm a red-head...but that corset would go well with just about anything!!!

That being said...I just think all of theirs were very classy and look to be well made...and for the price...you can't go wrong!!!

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: xXemogalXx

how much do you pay for your corsets? and how often do you wear them?

I've paid anywhere from $35 for a clearance deal with minimal boning to over $200 for an on sale one from a local corsetier. I've a couple ren ones, one is purple leather and custom made. I ubblove it. I also have *several* of the lightly boned ones and one hellova one that is more bulletproof vestish. Literally, I've had people smack me on it, poke my stomach, etc...I don't feel a thing.
I don't cinch to train, btw. I just like the look.

I have a system for how I wear mine.
My ren ones tend to be only for ren or rennie functions.
My other ones are all for stage shows, however, some of those that are not as lustrous as they used to be get worn to clubs, layered with fishnet shirts and stuff. I wear them with jeans.
Then when they wear out from that (one recently did..poor thing) I use it as a base, cover it in new fabric and trims and there I am, a new fresh look for an old friend.

Technically there is a difference between the ren corset and a ren bodice. The corsets are meant to create and hour glass and are victorian in history. Bodices pre-date that and are meant to lift and smoosh more than create curves..just so you know when you are looking. There's differences in lengths and stuff too...I love the really long ones that go low on the hips, but don't own one. frown

What this means is that you will also want to look into Victorian and Civil War costume sites. The Civil War brides ones were gorgeous! So were some of the Victorian ones, even though they were meant to be undergarments.

Anyway, I babble. In our circle we have the Bodice/Corsette-gasm (depending on the era we are portraying). When we put it on, there is something that feels good about the constraint BUT the release when it is undone...there is *nothing* like it...total bodice-gasm.
And I don't always have dig lines. In fact, I've gotten worse dig lines from my dance bras than my corsettes, but as I said before, I don't wear them to train.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

zamiriiBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
I personally don't have a corset.. and it would just look silly on me. But my fiance has one that we at Exotica when it was down here. Now that was interesting. Got to meet Ron Jeremy

Every Day I add another name to the list of people who piss me off

916 posts

Posted:
goodie, corset and jeans for club nights then biggrin lol

pele: you have a local corsetier?! my god, i'm travelling to london to get mine since i (so far) havent been able to find many really good places here to sell them. i'm not too sure about the lightly boned ones, i think the reason i like them (like you said) is feeling constrained, and the lighter ones just dont do that for me.

but anyways, is it ok to do quite excersizy things in corsets (heavily boned ones)? coz i'd love to wear a corset when i do poi performances in local clubs, but i'm a bit worried about the whole breathing thing...

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Ooooooh...speaking of Victorian style...is not exactly what you're looking for maybe...but check this out anyway...and the site is one of my faves, too...can just browse their stuff for hours!!!

https://pyramidcollection.com/itemdy00.as...el&PageNo=4

--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

916 posts

Posted:
oooh, that is pretty gorg actually, thankies VERY much for that site biggrin

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Very welcome...they have many lovelies, do they not!?!

I posted stuff from that site in a couple more threads, too...kinda went a bit silly with it!!! rolleyes

--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Like I could go so broke shopping at that site.

Gidg

916 posts

Posted:
truely,they do have some really amazing stuff there, i'm going for my fitting in about 2 weeks now, still need to decide whether to go for a 26" or a 28" :S

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't go too tight at first...work your way into it!!! And don't go too far with it, anyway...is not healthy!!!

I agree about that site...lots of things that I'd love to have...and could go broke way before I ever got everything I'd want!!!

--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
You have to remember that corsets need a breaking in period. This is the place that I'm going to get mine, it's right across the river so I'll be able to get custom fitted. It also talks about lacing, getting into one and breaking a corset in.
Corset Care

Gidg

916 posts

Posted:
oh wowee, you're so lucky to have one near you! i can't believe how far i have to travel!

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Drools over the corsets, i have a few and they are really nice to wear once you get used to them. make sure you don't do it too tight and please practice wearing it before your acutal night to get used to it. sitting can be rather odd as can going to the loo, depending on corset type. have a trust worthy friend too who can help if need be for loosening on the night and or cooling you down if you get too warm.

i would stay away from a pcv rubber one if its your first corset as they are warmer and take a bit more to get used to.

and of cause we will need to see pics of you in said corset biggrin hug

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

916 posts

Posted:
yea, i'm getting it about 3 weeks before the actual night, will that be long enough?? i didn't actually think about someone to help me, i have help for getting into it, but he isn't going to the event!! :S i don't think i'd go for a PVC one coz it seems like i'd be really sweaty wearing it, and that just doesnt appeal to me lol i'll have pics from my fitting soon if y'all wanna see them? and pics from the night once it happens aswell. biggrin

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
How far do you have to travel? I only have to go 10 miles (a little over 16 kilometers for you metrics folks)

Three weeks should do it if you wear it about three times a week for two to four hours. Between breaking in the corset and getting use to it, three weeks will be plenty of time.

Personally I would go with a satin or a brocade. Moondoggie is pushing for a PVC. I told him that he would look good in PVC. biggrin

Gidg

916 posts

Posted:
i have to go to london, well over 100miles i think :S i'm going for vollers, its satin biggrin

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Classy line. But what color are you getting? Solid? Print? We MUST know these things. wink

Gidg

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: xXemogalXx

goodie, corset and jeans for club nights then biggrin lol

pele: you have a local corsetier?! my god, i'm travelling to london to get mine since i (so far) havent been able to find many really good places here to sell them. i'm not too sure about the lightly boned ones, i think the reason i like them (like you said) is feeling constrained, and the lighter ones just dont do that for me.

but anyways, is it ok to do quite excersizy things in corsets (heavily boned ones)? coz i'd love to wear a corset when i do poi performances in local clubs, but i'm a bit worried about the whole breathing thing...

I am very lucky. The woman is an amazing artist. She is elderly and doesn't have a website (yet) though her daughters, who are learning the trade, keep pressuring her to set up.

I am also close friends with a Ren Corset maker. He does amazing work by, instead of taking measurements, having you wear a t-shirt and then wrapping you in duct tape as tight as you'd like the corset to be. It's awesome.

I perform in mine but the heavily boned ones not only constrict your breath but also your movement. You can't twist or bend well in them so it really limits you alot. I wear the lightly or moderately boned ones for spinning shows because of that. I want to not only be able to move freely, and breathe well but I also want to have freedom of movement in case something goes wrong.

But then again, I refuse to do fire in an expensive corset anyway. There is no way I am getting soot stains on something I paid that much money for!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

916 posts

Posted:
its going to be black and purple, sort of purple satin underneath,with black lace over the top.

i'm trying to find a corsetier near me because it would be a lot easier, i like the duct tape idea! lol i would also not do fire in something that expensive, i'd hate to ruin it!

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
I want a corset for spinning but I'm going to make it myself. After I get my good one, of course. I'll use it as a pattern. biggrin

Gidg

Page: