Forums > Social Chat > UK Road Tax - Important news for drivers

Login/Join to Participate

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I usually NEVER do cut and pastes of emails, but I felt this one was important.

Did any of us know about this??

If you drive a car, please read -

Sarah Kennedy was talking about this proposed car tax scheme on Radio 2.
Apparently there is only one month left to register your objection to
the 'Pay As You Go' road tax.
The petition is on the 10 Downing St website but they didn't tell anybody about it. Therefore at the time of Sarah's comments only
250,000 people had signed it and 750,000 signatures are required for the goverment to at least take any notice.

Once you've given your details (you don't have to give your full
address, just house number and postcode will do), they will send you an email with a link in it. Once you click on that link, you'll have signed the petition.
The government's proposal to introduce road pricing will mean you
having to purchase a tracking device for your car and paying a monthly bill to use it. The tracking device will cost about £200 and in a recent study by the BBC, the lowest monthly bill was £28 for a rural florist and £194 for a delivery driver. A non working mother who used the car to take the kids to school paid £86 in one month. On top of this massive increase in tax, you will be tracked.

Somebody wil know where you are at all times. They will also know how fast you have been going, so even if you accidentally creep over a speed limit, in time you can probably expect a Notice of Intended Prosecution with your monthly bill.

If you are concerned about this Orwellian plan and want to stop the constant bashing of the car driver, please sign the petition on No 10's new website (link below) and pass this on to as many people as possible.
Click click

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
I've heard about this on Radio 4 quite a lot recently.

Apparently since it's only a petition the government have no intention of altering their plans however many people sign it and they have over 1 million signatures already anyway.

On Monday the news was reporting that the site was so busy it kept crashing and no one could get on it at all.

shrug

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
At the moment there are almost 1.4 million signatures on the site, but it doesn't mention anywhere about numbers needed for it to go through. Mind you, the BBC story from yesterday was quite amusing...

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
it's nasty, I like to drive, but the point is... it is designed to penalise people who use busy roads during peak hours, I don' like the fact that you can be done for speeding without a camera (I have slipped over the limit in the past) but I do approve of the fact that it may stop hundreds of people driving 2-3 miles to work each day blocking up the roads,

when I do get a new car I will not be driving in peak hours, and will be driving very rarely, this tax is also supposed to remove the taxation from petrol reducing the price by almost half. I don't know if I'm for or against this overall. (I don't like the tracking thing too much but can see it having beneficial sides as well)

It should also replace the current car tax so if your car has a 1.6 litre engine you won't be paying more than someone with a 1.4 litre engine if you don't drive much.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Learning to drive at the momant and mums deal of 'I buy the car, you pay all the tax and insurance' isn't sounding quite so pretty now...

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Hmm, I'm assuming that this is also going to replace the whole classic cars not paying for road tax thing frown

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
It's ok bov, come in the Chutney wagon, it would hardly be called a classic, but I have recently purchased a cloaking device biggrin

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian