_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Ok - Ive been holding off posting some thing about this as I hoped one of my more elloquent compadres on this board would do it..

I've only heard little snippets of how the virus is spreading - which is in fact at an alarming rate - it's spread from Asia to Canada now - heard on the news that governments are telling people not to visit Toronto.. WTF? This thing must be really scaring some people - don't get me wrong- I jump when people sneeze these days.. ask them if they've been on holiday and stuff for a joke. but this thing is damned serious.. Some of the Asian countries are no in econmoic as well as political termoil.

Some one at work did the maths the other day.. now as you guys know - I can't do maths or spell to save my life - but he basically said that 20% of the earths population could be wiped out by this flu virus gone baad.. (I can just see it's underpants on the outside and the little evil grim on the germs faces - sorry)

Ok so I don't really know too much about it - but thats what I have you lot for my dears..

How do you think it will effect the political situations in the countires that are effected? The minister for health for China was sacked/ resigned the other week in shame - Japan is facing a recession, Toronto is now a no go area according to certian governments, British airways have stopped it's Beijing flights today.. whats next - total travel ban??

Looking for opinions from around the globe..

anyone needing any info World Health Org.

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
I also found a nice site at Yahoo on SARS.
Other Respiratory Illnesses
Get The Facts
• What is SARS?
• Preventing SARS
• Cause of SARS
• Spread of SARS
• SARS Exposure

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
My opinion: Toronto is fine. Stay out of Southeast Asia for a few months. I hope this will blow over.

The problem is that the Chinese have this thing about making their country look like a perfect paradise. They have this fear that if they admit to ANY problem at all, people will say "That's because Communism doesn't work!" as if SARS cares about what system of government you have.

If they'd just been honest about it at first, the WHO could have contained this bitch and prevented the mess we got into. A lot of people have died who really didn't have to.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I was in Singapore a month ago and it was pretty normal. Now it's a city where Michael Jackson could walk round unnoticed.

I don't think SARS is that big a threat, yet. The 'yet' is why travel limitations and isolations are needed to stop its spread. A single index case in a new country can lead to a onwards chain of infection, almost impossible to stop. Rather safe than sorry.

The fatality rate is 4%, so even if everyone on Earth got it only 4% would die. So that 20% figure is just silly. But that happens with stuff like this, it gets blown out of all proportion and it's the psychological and sociological effects that will do most harm.

In Bali they've already been devastated by the Kuta bombing, and now SARS looks like it'll cause further harm. Airlines are looking real bad as well.

On the scientific side viruses are amazing! Truly wonderous little cretins that have the potential to wipe us all out (HIV is still considered to be an 'emerging' virus). If you want some interesting reading try 'Virus X' or 'The Hot Zone'.

It seems that more and more is happening in this world every day, and something has to give, for good or bad.

MiSsFrOgmember
187 posts

Posted:
Two people in san diego diagnosed with the sars virus...
Non-Https Image Link

theese people were returning from china
Non-Https Image Link
and didnt feel sick when he/she was traveling but when they got home they had a fever of 105...coughing and sweating... they are both isolated in their homes recovering.
Non-Https Image Link

well at least nobody over here is walking around with those doctors masks over their face.

Non-Https Image Link

Its not easy being green....

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
I read in a paper the other day that SARS was from outer space! I'm not good at science but they were saying that all sorts of bacteria and viruses can come from outer space and drift off from comets and that SARS had entered the Earth's atmosphere, came down to surface level around the Himilayas, and then the Earth's wind direction and rotation had moved it east into China.

I wonder what else space has in store for us!

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Salinger, I wouldn't go that far, but there is some evidence that there are extraterrestrial bacteria floating around in the upper atmosphere.

Viruses have to evolve with a host around. An alien virus couldn't infect any terrestrial organism because it would lack the binding proteins to do so. Same reason why I could eat purified, crystallized tobacco mosaic virus if I wanted to and not get sick.

For that matter, bacteria generally have to evolve with a host around if they are going to cause disease. Again, they need to bind to the host and they need to produce toxins to aid their spread.

As it happens, SARS is a coronavirus, a variant of the common cold/chest flu that seems to have decided to become a new thing. But it's too virulent to remain in the human population for long. It will be like Ebola, I predict. This, too, will pass.

-Mike

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
The media in this country realize that people panic easily, and generally, will take advantage of that.

I live in Niagara County, which is literally next door to Ontario, CA. And as of yesterday, we were officially included in the regions to have been infected with the SARS virus.

I am not panicked.

Unfortunately, a lot of people are. Mostly because of the heavy traffic at the Canadian/US border, sometimes we forget it's another country. People and the media fear that the casual crossings will allow SARS to infiltrate our lives. Granted, it is a fairly casual border. We've been known to scoot across for a few hours to party (And take advantage of the lower drinking ages and considerably favorable exchange rate) And until 9/11, no one asked for ID or a passport. It's not a big deal. Of course, Toronto is about an hour and a half away by car. And SARS was brought to our backyard by a frequent commuter. It's not like it's creeping across the river like a biblical green fog.

I'm also under the impression that people here didn't react too seriously when it was just in southeast Asia. Now that it is here, people are becoming worried. Especially with the media spreading panic faster than the actual disease. With a 4% fatality rate, I can handle those odds.

Now I'm going to go watch 'Outbreak' (Great flick...)

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
There was an incredible article on the front page of the Independent yesterday. It mapped out how and where every case of SARS had come from. For e.g. they traced one elderly lady from Singapore flew to Canada, which led to 100 direct infections. An airhostess passed it on to certain other people.
I'm a little hazy on the exact facts and suchlike (it's early here ok ) but I'm just so impressed the WHO can trace this so well. Much respect...

On a side note - I was speaking to my (much more academic than me) Girly, and as yet there is no proof that the HIV virus leads to AIDS...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by -{Lightning}-:

But it's too virulent to remain in the human population for long. It will be like Ebola, I predict. This, too, will pass.

Ebolo is now spreading thru the chimpanzee and gorilla populaitions in the Gabon and other east african countries tho.. wiping out communities of creatures that have no hope of self diagnosis.. if SARS evolves again and moves on to our cousins like ebola has.. are we gonna loose them in the wild altogether?

News last night.. Singapore I think (forgive me I'd been - so it's a little fuzzy) has gone into compleate lockdown.. curfew's imposed, with nightly checks by police - with heavy prison sentances for anyone who breaks quarentine or curfew.. if that isn't a country freaked out I don't know what it is..

JollyGreenGiantmember
44 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by MiSsFrOg19:
well at least nobody over here is walking around with those doctors masks over their face.
Here in Japan someone walking around with a mask on their face means that they are sick (could be as simple as a head cold) and they don't want to risk making anyone else sick. Japanese people do it out of courtesy for the community.

-Eric
A wise monkey never monkeys around with another monkey's monkey...

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
I'm going home to (near) Toronto next week. I haven't been keeping up on the news (because of exams), but from what I've heard from my family, the only place where there is really any risk is at hospitals, where there are loads of extra preventative measures.

I think it's wise to deter travel to/from any place where SARS might be, but realistically, just take a few commonsense precautions, and I think you run a phenomenally low risk of acquiring it by coming here.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Durbs:

On a side note - I was speaking to my (much more academic than me) Girly, and as yet there is no proof that the HIV virus leads to AIDS...

Um...yeah there is. Heaps of it. The ultimate proof would be to inject it into people and see if they get AIDS. Of course, that can't be done.

However, if you demand the standards of proof that people who make this claim demand, then there is no proof that influenza virus causes flu.

-Mike

TurqoiseDreamermember
36 posts

Posted:
If you are worried about the SARS virus, it doesnt hurt to build up your immune system. A great thing to make is this soup...

Use whatever quantities you have and to to your taste, but try to incorperate as much of these ingredients as you can...

Boil about 4 cups of water and add garlic, ginger, lemon, onion and honey. You can add other herbs to your taste and stockcubes for extra flavour also. To this add as many different organic vegetables as possible. It tastes delicious and is really good for you.

I had litres of it when I had a really nasty chest infection years ago and it was wonderful. My husband and I havnt been sick at all for years and we make sure we have this on a regular basis.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Ok so the 20% was a bit high.. I aways thought the guy at work talked cod-sh*t..

Anyway - first confimed case in New Zealand.. how are people dealing with it there?

Ooo did anyone see 'Outbreak' on tele last night in the UK? Good planing TV people

Monkey-girlmember
14 posts

Posted:
For further info you can check out:

WHO website
CDC website

and then any travel warnings your government might wish to issue can be good to check out too.

Ultimately, they are still saying that it's a close contact disease.

The original people infected were relatives and health workers of already sick people and the very few transport infections have come from prolonged coughing etc..

I think it's a common sense thing.

Don't lick sick people.