Page:
MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Ok, here is my try to contribute something new for people to play with. Well... I honestly don't know how new this concept is. But I hope it's fairly untouched yet.

Most spinners use their own body as turning point. As an example when you turn a weave to a reverse weave, you turn your body. However that's not neccessary at all. You can actually change the Center of turning from your body, to somewhere else. Such as the actual poi move. So your moving your body around the move. This can open up possebileties for a complete new array of how to view and experiment with moves. Right now I'm trying to continsiously walk 360 degrees around a weave. Very difficult I might add... Keeping the center of turning at the weave. I think some might referr to this as the Pivot of turnig. I hope you get the idea anyhow.

Remember that this concept can apply to almost any move. Enjoy playing with it! And if you find something cool, do share =)

EDITED_BY: Mireneye (1171406278)

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
that'd be isolating wouldn't it?

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
hmmm body isolations then? Would that isolation around a weave be considered a weave turn with horizontal body isolation? Now I wanna see it with vertical isolation...THAT'LL impress me!

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Whoa... How majorely Jedi would that not be?

Anyhow I'm confident your right that it can be sort of like isolating with your body. However I think the concepts differ in some ways. In Isolation your essentially changing the center of spinning in accordance to the poi ball.

Here you are changing the center according to your position. The main difference beeing that you are not neccesarily chasing the movement. You can move independant of it.

Makes sense to anyone? ubbrollsmile

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
not necessarily. Isolating is changing the center of rotation. So taken from a bird's eye view, it is isolating (instead of you being the center its moved out)

It reminds me of ICoN's practice session (don't remember which) where he moves around the waistwrap.

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
I see. Thanks for clearing that up. Apparently the concept is not completely alien then =)

With some practice I hope to have a video where I'm doing this with fire. Gonna take a while to get it to look and feel smooth tho. No vertical's tho I think, that's out of my league. biggrin

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
smile

I thought of a similar thing aaaaaages ago (God-dayum I'm old skool ubblol ) - [Old link]

As I understand it, keeping the circle in the same place and moving around it.

I originally called it "Contact Poi" (as I was young and stupid then...i'm no longer young sadly) but it was more the "isolation" part of contact-juggling I was aiming at, rather than contact-staff "contact" ( umm )

Lots of possibilites though, and does look effective smile

One to try for the bendy people - btb w/w buzzsaw, you can move through 360 keeping the circle in the same place...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Wow, the main point in above mentioned old post by yourself does sound very much the same as this one.

I'm off to experiment =)

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Are we talking about simple plane bending here ? If so, then sure you can turn with a weave and pick something like your hands as the center of rotation for the whole *system*..or even the center of the circles made by the weave.

It feels really awkward with the weave, but doing this with the corkscrew is fun.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
More sort of bending yourself around the plane...

Simple example - buzzsaw, from the side, keep the circle of the flames in the same place. Then move yourself around this circle (well, disc, really I guess) keeping it in the same place as you move around it.

Plane control, isolation and body movement all rolled into one biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

thombreGOLD Member
74 posts

Posted:
Yeah. You can get a good oooh from a crowd by jumping either side of (or over, if imbalnce has his way) a five beat weave. Moving round it would look even better, now I think of it
*walks away, pondering and moving hands and body in weird ways*

Buy gerbils cos you can't spin with hamsters

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Durbs,,am I correct in assuming that the disc keeps the same orientation relative to the spinner who's moving around it ? rather than turning on it's axis ? Plane bending isolations?..yikes..now that's hard..I have enough trouble with the "normal" ones and I've been working on them for two years. ( insert string of descriptive expletives regarding isolations here )

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I're calling similar technique a static center,

where you make center static and let body

move around move.

Reminds me Gilligan's fun

and still 360's.

well done,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I was trying to 'walk around' my buzz saw at the beginning of this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD4WXwt8bIU

Though, admittedly, I did a pretty crap job even though I was watching myself in the camcorder.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Oh, and also tried to isolate the waist wrap at around 1:18

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
hey this is fun

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

hey this is fun

And you expected it to be boring biggrin confused
I really like the waist-wrap center for turning. I might tell you all now that I settled on calling it center for turning, much like the original text i wrote. The way i use it is to name the move, say: buzz-saw, and then: center for turning. Implying that when you turn the move, your using the move as center for turning. Makes sense to me.

I've come up with something fun, but also kind of a dilemma. I tried this with flowers, to see if I could create something. However obvious it is to most people I noticed that the center of turning should be at approximately the same place for it to work like above mentioned. Like in a buzzaw or weave. But in a flower your hands are normally 180 degrees apart. This means you have two choices for choosing a center. A new dimension of fun, if you ask me, however it really messes with my head at times =)

Say, you stop the right hand as it comes down in front of you. You use it as center and move so the center is now behind you. If you kept the left arm moving it should have finished 180 degrees and is now coming down as the other arm was doing. Repeat and reverse, and be confused ubbloco

Also, by incorporated plane bending and arm positioning you can move around two centers at once. ubbrollsmile

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I would like to nominate the term 'dodging' for this variation. Sure, center for turning works I suppose... But its kinda long winded and sounds like a place to go if you're turning impaired. I think it looks kinda like you're dodging the poi when moving around em in this way.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
To me dodging implies avoiding. And to me does not tell me where and what to dodge. Kinda unclear. However on a second notice dodging is kinda good. Because it's short and catchy.

ubblol

We could call it something completely unrelated of course, haha.

Anyhow more food for thought. How about moving to the other side of a stalled center ?

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

How about moving to the other side of a stalled center ?

It's Gilligan.

ain't it?

POI THEO(R)IST

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
I never knew "what" a gilligan was.
So yeah, definietly gilligan if that is what that is. =)

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

To me dodging implies avoiding.

Hence why it's perfect. You gotta move around (avoid) the center of rotation to do this.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Gilligan - One Poi still(the center in this case)

the other is moving.

lightning,

POI THEO(R)IST

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Ok you got me ICoN.

I can agree with calling it Dodging. But i don't see good ways of explaining the move to new people if you tell them "Now you dodge the poi"

They'd be like "WTF mate".

biggrin

I guess it'll be the kinda move you have to "Show and tell" to get people to understand then =). I'm happy this is shaping up to be "Something" at all. It just began as loose theories. But there's a lot of fun to be discovered here... And ICoN, Richee and Durbs have already explored it, a little ( way before me ).

Altho I'm happy to have reawakened the interest. I'm excited to see if and what people can come up with =)

Edit:Thanks for clearing up the Gilligan Richee.

weavesmiley
EDITED_BY: Mireneye (1171636968)

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I assume this as technique, rather than move.
Because it's apliable to any instead of one.

kind regard,

POI THEO(R)IST

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
ok so obviously "dodging" over the poi is a bit extreme for most (99%) of us though I'm sure some springy legged lanky fool around here can/will do it at some point, but what about UNDER the poi?

for instance, spin a buzzsaw about shoulder or chest height, then start to kneel down but without moving your feet so that essentially you end up on your knees with a buzzsaw mostly above your head, then, spin on your knees so you are facing 180 the other direction (and now in reverse buzzsaw above your head) then stand up. Effectively moving your body down, under, and up around a buzzsaw.

now I can't do this smoothly as of yet but in my head I could see a nifty lil game of leap frog (sort of) with you and your buzzsaw. Once you stand up from the above move, raise the buzzsaw up directly overyour head, turn 180 and bring back down in front (so you get a 180 degree arch over your head) then repeat the "dodge under" from above. So all said and done you get an funky lil alternating leapfrog game. you dodge under the poi, it arches above you, you dodge under, etc etc etc....

bah just an idea that came to me...

OH, and also, really easy one to do is to do short buzzsaw underarm dodging, soooo do buzzsaw stomach height (short chains) step to the side keeping the buzzsaw where it is, walk forward a bit so the buzzsaw comes under your armpit, continue your walk around the buzzsaw as you flip into reverse buzzsaw, step to the side again (lets assume stepping left every time so the buzzsaw keeps coming under your right armpit) and continue back around to your starting spot.

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Very true Richee, it is definietly a technique. Not a "move".

You have some crazy ideas there, imbalance. Gonna play some with it, to see if it just looks stupid or cool =)

And if we are going to call it "Dodging" i would say going "under" the poi is dodging as well. Same basic principle.
EDITED_BY: Mireneye (1171704401)

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
I'm not so sure I like the term Dodging honestly, how about Rounding? As in going around the poi. Seems a bit more accurate and lil more obvious for explanation purposes.

btw, never stated that move would look cool so if you end up looking stupid don't blame me lol.

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Haha, don't worry. I'm optemistic in believing anything can look "good" giving the right amount of different variables. Like the beholder being really drunk. Anyhow...

I love the name rounding. It's very descriptive. And would work for explaining the technique technically, very well. That is definitely the term I will use. ubbidea

It even works in Swedish, so that's a + for me.

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
here's another one, Rounding a BTH hyperloop. If you can do a behind the head hyperloop then this probably wouldn't be to much more work to accomplish, just start your hyperloop up high and step to the side, forward, back to other side and back then pop out of the hyperloop. Sounds a lot easier than it is but just another "Rounding" move that came to mind.

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Sounds funky... Altho I'm not that confident with hyperloops yet. The funny thing is I do them with chains ALOT better then with socks.

Anyhow...

I'm mostly into doing variations of Buzzaw , where i go from forward to reverse by turning ( What is this called, i heard people say Buzzaw flower, and buzzaw fountain ) when I get to either side i do the "rounding" and keep spinning either normally or antispin after that. This makes for interesting patterns. biggrin

Page: