Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
My daily calendar says that on April 25 it is Anzac Day in Aus & New Zealand.

What is Anzac Day?

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

Veblamember
18 posts

Posted:
during the first world war the australia and new zealand armys' were put together and called ANZAC's, Australia New Zealand Army Core,

and during the first stage that were sent to attack Turky (i am a bad speller) the were sent to storm a beach but landed aganst cliffs and were bogged down and were sitting ducks after many losses thay were pulled out but the sprit of the solders who died are remberd on ANZAC day, also the day of there landing on the beach (i know the name of the area but wouldent know how to spell it.)

the popy is the flower that we rember them by becouse thay grow all over the battle fields that the ANZAC's fought on.

i hope that all the kiwis and the ausies made it to dawn paride.

Vebla (a Kiwi)

I cant explane myself, becouse i'm not me you see.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
May spirits protect those that lost thier lives to protect mine and those of the future unborn..

I'm sure that my mum used to make Anzac biscuits in honour of the soldiers.. or am I tripping again.. my memory is a strange being.. its full of stuff and tends to get jumblied.. but I do remember that the biscuits were *really* yummy..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I'm not going mad..

Biccies..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Veblamember
18 posts

Posted:

made evan better when you use home made butter.

Deliriousmember
10 posts

Posted:
Would it be right for an Aussie living in London to take the day off work in commemoration of the Anzac's??? If i was at home i'd get the day off!!!!

Veblamember
18 posts

Posted:
i do think that it would be rightto take ANZAC day off for shure, dont know how work would think, but on Amastace day (the one on the 11th day of 11th month) is the day thay have off for there rembereance, but if thay dont have a day off then take ANZAC day, and rember to do something during dawn, evan if its spinning to the sunrise in remembrance.

Vebla

Deliriousmember
10 posts

Posted:
Hmm work wouldn't be happy about that. I think i'll be spinning into the sunset!

Pyro_TechCrazy Nutter stuck in Farmidale...
264 posts

Posted:
Anzac Day is a really important day of the year for me - I think it symbolises so much.

I go to the Dawn Service every year no matter where I am and it is always an awesome experience.
I have so much respect for the men and women who stand there so proudly wearing their medals, most of them with a tear in their eye, no doubt thinking about and remembering some great mates that they lost whilst fighting for their country.

I dont support war or conflict of any description, but there is no one who could stand at an Anzac Day service and not feel some sort of amazement at what those men and women must have been put through and what an amazing sacrifice they obviously made.

I had a fantastic day today talking to some of the old soldiers at the RSL after the march and service - our elderly have some pretty fantastic stories to tell and it doesnt take much to sit back and listen once in a while.

Wars are terrible things, but days like today for Aust and NZ are days to remember some pretty fantastic people who did what they could for their country during some pretty tough times when our freedom and safety was threatened.

May all our service men and women, past and especially present at this time be kept safe - they're amazing people.

I hope you all had as nice a day as I did today

We all take different paths in life, but no matter which path we take, we take a little of each other everywhere...

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
ANZAC = Australian and New Zealand Army Corps

The day is a day of rememberance of our people who have served (be it voluntarily or through conscription) in wars and international actions.

It's also a day to play two up and drink quite a few beers. It's pretty normal to be plastered by lunchtime.....