Forums > Technical Discussion > Technical problems with my chest

Login/Join to Participate

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
I've started to get this problem involving a pain in my chest while i was in Thailand playing alot.
Suddenly (usually when quite relaxied, i think) i get this tight feeling in my chest, quite painful, and when i stretch it it sometimes *cracks* (quite disturbingly loud sometimes - loud enough for those around me to hear). The crack usually relieves it and half an hour - hour later the pain is gone. The problem is sometimes it won't crack and i stay very uncomfy for the next while. eg this happened to me last night, it didn't crack, and now its still sore.
The only thing i can think is that its somehow related to my bad posture and inflexiblity....
Any idea what the feck is going on?
Anyone had similar problems?

Ronan

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Until you mentioned the "crack" it sounded like what I get occasionally which is really sharp intense pains around the heart... No idea what it is, hurts like crap mind you and seems to go away randomly between 2-30 minutes.

But as I said, it never cracks, so this probably wasn't helpful smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yeep!

Hope you're ok Ronan... hug

Getting to the other side smile

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Have you had it checked out?

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
yeah,

methinks a visit to the doc might not be a bad idea, you may have a condition called

"Costochondritis" from https://www.londonpainconsultants.com/articles/2006/11/16/sternal_pain/

This is an inflammation of the junctions where the upper ribs join with the cartilage that holds them to the breastbone or sternum. The condition causes localized chest pain that can be reproduced by pushing on the cartilage in the front of your ribcage.

At times, sternal pain is also accompanied by sensations like a cracking sound eek

Sounds like you may have some of theses symptoms especially if you have been doing alot of play as you have said.

Cracking not only releases gases from the joint but also releases endorphins locally, making the pain go away for a short time but the underlying problem is still there.

I know how painfull chest injuries can be, cracked ribs and strained intercostal muscles are more my cup of tea tho!

Be well,

martin

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Hmmm that could be it, cheers for the info Martin.
Strange though since i've never really been injured (that i know of).... but maybe lots of play with a not entirely well functioning body could do this.

I asked my doctor the other day, she didn't seem to worried but i should check it out again maybe.

Its more uncomfortable than anything else.

Thanks guys

smile

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Durbs

Until you mentioned the "crack" it sounded like what I get occasionally which is really sharp intense pains around the heart... No idea what it is, hurts like crap mind you and seems to go away randomly between 2-30 minutes.

But as I said, it never cracks, so this probably wasn't helpful smile

Wierd - i get exactly the same thing randomly from time to time.........

Ronan - cracking sounds worse hug

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
ditto Strugz.. I know the cause of that.... wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

PetoMajcinewbie
1 post

Posted:
I've had the same problem for two years already. I'm getting the same loud cracking/tearing of my chest cartilage, and when it cracks I feel imediate release of the pain. Sometimes it doesn't want to crack and the pain doesn't go away... ibuprofen helps me then. I saw 4 different doctors but none of them was sure about the diagnosis, althought Costochondritis was the most probable. Beeing active (swimming) and trying to improve my body posture seems to improve the problem. I had a stereoid injection injected, but it didn't help at all. Now, I've been taking Glucosamine for last 3 weeks, but seems not helping either. A post here https://www.injuryupdate.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=491 seems to be related too. Several people there suggest a rheumatologist, so I will probably try that soon.

Peter

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I get the same as Durbs and strugz... No idea what that is. Chilling out for a minute or tw seems to do the trick to get rid of that...

I've recently found I can crack my sternum as well. Makes a lovely noise umm

none of this pain which you describe, though.

I would always suggest that stretching your body (yoga stylee) is never a bad thing, though, and can only do good in the long run.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
maybe its all the insane staff and poi tricks we all do that causes the problem lol (i hope not)

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Is this a boy thing?

Sounds like it...

Take care of yourselves lads... and stretch first smile

Getting to the other side smile

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Is it anything to do with the 'floating' ribs that us men have?

Mine don't sit in line with my ribs, instead sitting sort of underneath- I can make them pop down out if I tense my abs. I've been like this as long as I can remember- sometimes it is uncomfortable but I've pretty much got used to it.

I also find that when stretching my chest I get a nice crack from time to time from my solar plexus. The intense chest pain thing which ebbs after a breath or two I also get from time to time but this is unrelated and apparently harmless.

I hope your problem resolves or proves to be harmless.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Get well soon everyone.

I just spent the last 3 months with saw ribs.

A rediculous cartwheeling accident caused me to get kicked in the chest, was out of action for about 6 weeks. Pretty sure i'd cracked a rib, it was in the same place as i cracked a rib a year or so before.

Then it had just got better and i fookin fell off my bike. I landed with my left side fully streched out against the handle bars (which were upturned racing style handlebars) ouch frown

But all is well again.

Bizarrely tho Bex has done something crazy to her ribs, just hoping she's alright for the juggling festival. Think it was an unidentified drinking injury sustained at rainbow serpent. doh.

Not sur eif this would be any help but Bex was taught a really lush rib stretch. You get a towel and roll it up really tight. Lay it on the floor, then lay on it so the towel lays along your spine, in between your shoulder blades.

Anyway, big love to everyones saw ribs.

matt

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.