Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Do you have an addictive personality?
If so, how does it come out?
How do you control it, if you do at all?

I have a terribly addictive personality. I've known it since I was little. When I start something "new", I become obsessed with it and find it hard to walk away. It used to be to the point of almost tunnel vision obsession but I have learned, thanks to Noah (kids don't wait) to really keep it in check. When I was younger I did express it in unhealthy ways. I have always fought to stay away from things that I know will be permanently damaging, have addictive properties/reactions (cigarettes, alcohol, etc.) and now I limit my times. For example, when I practice something I am really into, I limit my time and *really* stick to it instead of being lost in it. I read books but will take time between them instead of ignoring the world and just devouring book after book. I will also do things that are not in anyway reactive like listen to a song over and over (when I am alone, so I don't drive others nuts). I also will only play games with a timely end. Video games are like crack so I avoid those, though I don't find them particularly fascinating, but I don't seek one out that I might either. I do play solitaire, that has a clear end. I'll play it until I win, and once I win, put it down.

I'm curious about how bad it is for others and how you handle/express it.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
and water

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I just found this article and thought it fit, or at least I found it very interesting.

https://us.i1.yimg.com/videogames.yahoo.com/ongoingfeature?eid=505289&page=0

Pele

NeserGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

Three words:

World of Warcraft.

That's why I haven't been on HoP for a while... redface

ubblol I've heard how addicting that can be. wink

It even came up in one of our lectures, saying that IT is about solving problems. One guy piped up, "Except WoW. That causes more problems then it solves." ubblol

I've yet to try the game, but I got bored of waiting for the download. So exited before it finished downloading. Is it really that good? And should I stay away from it for the sake of my social life? wink *laughs*

I currently play GW, no subscription so I like it biggrin Though, I go through phases where I play it every opportunity, then I get to a stage I cant get past (ie, a mission) and give it a break.. ubblol or find something more interesting to do.

weavesmiley

~ Neser

Fuel your fascination, burn your desire and dance with flames

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
I don't have an addictive personality at all. Infact I'm one of those people who tends to start everything and finish very few of them... so it's not exactly a good thing. I get distracted easily and I lose enthusiasm for things.

I used to drink about 10 strong cups of coffee a day (because my mom used to drink so much and I had to make it, so when I made her one, I made myself one), but when I moved out of my parents house, i stopped drinking coffee altogether. I think I have probably had abouth 10 cups of coffee in the past 5 years, and even then it's normally because I have been at a festy and freezing my butt off.

I also smoke. i have never tried to 'quit' but I have gone long periods without smoking, days, weeks, even months. It depends on the situation. When I lived in a non-smoking house, I didn't smoke, it didn't even enter my mind. I always go back to it though, because I enjoy it, not because I need to.

I used to drink quite a bit too, but have in the past year completely given up, no particular reason.

I have tried all manner of drugs and although I enjoyed my experiances, I can leave them or take them. I do enjoy them though

I do eat a lot of sugar though. I eat at least two chocolate bars a day. My diet is varied and I eat a lot of healthy things but it is high in sugars. I have gone for periods cutting sugar out of my diet and it didn't really make any difference, so I still eat a lot of sugar because I enjoy it.

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

catmandoonewbie
19 posts

Posted:
l

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
This thread has been revived, eh. Then in any further discussions can people please be a little more accurate with their words. Most of what people have described here.. reading books, wanting to get a job or whatever, relate to obsessions, personal habits, hobbies or anxiety. How about we keep the word addictions for the stuff like... addictions. Ya know. like dependence to stuff like alcohol, crack, sleeping pills, gambling. Stuff that alters somatic functioning so *you* are altered. That people cannot stop even when it's destroying their life. Or if they do stop, they experience that process as a struggle at the core of their being. Not just having a hobby that keeps you up late till you grow our of it or get bored and move onto the next thing.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
^^^ werd

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Having said that, and having seen what intensive hours of some computer games can do to people, I think there is a case for some of them being addictive, along the lines of gambling, where brainwave patterns/adrenal response etc gets affected.

catmandoonewbie
19 posts

Posted:
b
EDITED_BY: catmandoo (1175759831)

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
I really do think the correct word is *obsessive*:

(adj) : not being able to think about anything else; having one thought or pursuing one activity to the absolute or nearly absolute exclusion of all others

If something is addictive it is

(adj) : causing or tending to cause addiction; habit-forming

So if you had an addictive personality other people might get addicted to *you*.

I suppose some people do have that... but it's quite a claim! ubblol

If someone wants to say that they are prone to addictions, as in tend to pursue substances or activities known to be addictive they could perhaps just call themselves an addict...

catmandoonewbie
19 posts

Posted:
:P

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

I really do think the correct word is *obsessive*:

(adj) : not being able to think about anything else; having one thought or pursuing one activity to the absolute or nearly absolute exclusion of all others

If something is addictive it is

(adj) : causing or tending to cause addiction; habit-forming

By your own definition, it still fits everything here. Addictions can be anything, and when not dealing with chemicals are created out of addictions.

And we've already dealt with your viewpoints Newgabe, and how limited they are in the actual context of the term. Please don't rehash it just because someone bumped the thread. It's already been said, now let's make way for new opinions and thoughts.

Pele

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

Addictions can be anything, and when not dealing with chemicals are created out of addictions.

ubblol
Well, that certainly clarified things!

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
 Written by: catmandoo

well i suppose if you really wanted to go to all the hassle of getting everything technically correct etc, then yes following the dictionary definition, we could use the word obsessive, but I think the whole idea is just to have a chat about it, and not worry whether or not it makes literal sense when everybody understands what they mean anyway.

I dunno maybe thats just how I feel about it...

[:offtopic warning] personally i think worth "going thru the hassle" of being aware of what u are asking and going thru the hassle of saying/asking exactly what you mean. This is an internet forum, its based on words. If u dont use the correct words hen ppl misunderstand or don't answer the question you asked. IMO, in a debate It is important to use the correct phrases otherwise your just pissing in the wind when u ask for other ppls opinions. my 2p [/offtopicwarning]

as you were

ps: pele your first sentence is a case in point or maybe its just me that doesnt understand it...
EDITED_BY: biggins (1175236359)

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
What's the point here? I think it's fairly obvious that there is a very large difference between an addiction to gambling and an "addiction" to knitting. (and an even larger one with an addiction to a drug)

I knew a guy who spent £20,000 pounds of borrowed money on online poker, and he continues to gamble. I think he must have racked up about another £10,000 pound of dept by now. He lost his girlfriend, his job, his car and so on in that time. He didn't pay rent, borrowed money from friends, spent his paycheck on the same day, couldn't buy his girlfriend even a present for her birthday, nor did he even tell anybody. He bought a new bathroom for his flat, and couldn't pay for it because he gambled all the money away.

Show me somebody who can't eat because they spent all their money on knitting.

I think it's fair to assert a difference in the two, and fair to ask to use a different term, especially if you've had to deal with people actually addicted to substances or gambling or anything else. Anybody that has, it's pretty clear to see a quantitative and qualitative difference. And for those people it's generally quite an emotional subject so it's probably best not to rile them.

It's insulting to the problems of people with real addictions to call watching the TV program "Lost" religiously an 'addiction'. Do they have lost anonymous meetings and support groups? Little lost patches that you can put on your skin to try and wean you off lost? Government programs to advertise against getting addicted to lost and pamphlets to let you know that you can stop watching it, if you try?

Indeed what newgabe suggests, obsession might be too strong a term also, as is compulsion. Infatuated I think is a better description.

Addiction to gambling, drugs, smoking... that is the "actual" context of the term. Being infatuated with an activity, isn't. So instead of making way for new opinions and so on, why don't we make way for 'correct' ones. After all, we don't want to be sophists.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
it's all a different form of addiction...if nothing else it could be used as warning flags to be ware of other addictive personalities...one common thing you see with real addictions is substitution...there is coffee and cigarrets at meetings...the AAs all have coffee clubs around here, these are addictions substituted for legal behaviors
i have to be careful of my behaviors like playing video games or reading even because it will interfere with my life...i do have a VERY addictive personality...and i believe that compulsive or infatuated behavior are forms of addiction even if not as strong or binding

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

So instead of making way for new opinions and so on, why don't we make way for 'correct' ones. After all, we don't want to be sophists.

Well wow like that's far out cos sophists I mean like it used to mean like dodgy arguingnessists and boring picky stuff but hey sophists it sounds a bit like sophisticated and that means like clever and stuff with nice handbags and shoes and all so I think I'll be one of them now OK cos that sounds real cute.

And maybe next week I can be solipsistic cos that sounds a bit like lipstick and I like lipstick.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I guess I could point out that this thread is in the social discussion forum - and therefore should probably be a little more than a bunch of people trying to redefine addictive to mean anything they want? without even agreeing on a meaning? (It has an accepted meaning anyhow).

Social Chat is the place for meaningless jabber - social discussion is the place for more serious and meaningful discussion, thats why it exists...

ANYHOW - back on topic.

I think computer gaming could fit a definition of addiction from a behavioural perspective (addiction can be defined from behavioural and/or medical perspectives). A guy died in in the Philippines after playing an online game for 40 hours straight, that sounds like an addiction.

I think its unlikely that anyone in the world has ever died (or even had any significant negative consequences) from knitting or reading .

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
[phews for escaping death after having played numerous video games for at least 40 hrs straight]

Feeling compelled to point out that this has been an "addictive personality", whereas this is an "addicted person"... there's a difference - and (IMHO) a very important one... would you agree?

However, I guess this is all about "how to substitute" your addiction/ addictive personality...

I can admit that I have been addicted to almost anything I can imagine myself being addicted to... (edited statement keeps some dignity) ubbangel So I consider myself almost through with it... biggrin

Is this thread about "coming out"? umm confused ubblol Am trying to figure out the intent of this, in order to contribute accordin to "discussion-guidelines", rather than "chitchat garbled nonsense"... wink

*MMMMMUST hit "logout"-button NNNNNNNOWWWW! AAAAAARGH* ubblol
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1175589106)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
So an addictive personality is someone who is more likely to get addicted to anything?

Is there such a thing as addictive personality disorder? I just did a short google search on the topic - and really addictive personality seems to be associated with descriptions of people who become addicted to something in particular eg heroin or sex - not to people who are more easily addicted to anything.

I couldn't find a mention (sure I only looked for 5 minutes) of a particular disorder that relates to people who are generally addictive.

Perhaps confusion has arisen from people saying 'addicted to' when actually they meant 'really like'. Two VERY different concepts.

hey but who cares about confusion? its the web, right? its not important to understand each other wink

--

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pyrolific

I guess I could point out that this thread is in the social discussion forum - and therefore should probably be a little more than a bunch of people trying to redefine addictive to mean anything they want? without even agreeing on a meaning? (It has an accepted meaning anyhow).

this thread has been fun to watch.... not only do we interchangable use of :

Addiction

Dependence

Obsession

Infatuations

Personal Habits

Tendancies

Hobbies

Interests

(and probably a few others)

We also have a confusion of present and future tense of above in terms of current state and 'addictive' potential

then also we have the above being used as both Abstract Nouns (i have many obessions) and Adjectives (im obsessed with books), then mixing it up by alternating between the noun/verb of the activity (spinning/alcohol) and the abstract noun (hobbies, obsessions)

I think what has been neglected is the noun/verb of the activity (alcohol/spinning), can be grouped by the above expressions as well. eg. Reading is probably classified as hobby/interest for most... obsession for a few... so statements like

"Im addicted to reading". basically say that your are addicted to one of your interests - is that right? perhaps what you are saying is that you are 'interested in one of your interests'...? seems a bit verbose... which is the nature of adjectives/ adverbs.

When using the words on the above list an a form of abstract noun - that really seems to be the most importance factor in conveying the severity of the 'inclination'. Is your Heroin or Plate Spinning habit an addiction? or a personal habit? or an interest?

When using the above words as an adjective - it seems to be more frequently use in a flippant manner to exaggerate/eloquate more profusely. I do this myself because i love writing. see! i just did it again! i dont actually LOVE writing...

its chiefly the fact that we are using the same words as both adjectives/abstract nouns, then with other nouns & verbs being collectively described by the same umbrella abstract nouns which is confusing everyone.

confused? my point exactly.

(hey i might even be talking crap and have all my english language terms messed up for all i know!)... Just making an observation to where this thread seemed to go off the rails. Its got a few good point despite the side topic about semantics to which i have happily contributed to.

Anyway to actually contribute something to the thread, i like what Mike said. Ill admit to being quite dependant on alcohol. Stuff like recreational drugs, nicotine, caffiene i have no dependant/adictive tendancies towards whatsoever - but i love my booze. Im trying to go for a few weeks without drinking at the moment - because i havent done that for 8 years since i was 16 and didnt drink. its been 4 days so far (as my housemates would attest thats a long time for my wineglass to be dry). I have pretty big cravings last 2 nights - but have punished myself with vast quantities of exercise to keep my motivation up. This easter long weekend will be tough. I dont have many plans - so will have to find ways to keep myself busy and from walking down to the bottlo.

Addictive genetics? I think is a combination of a few things - physical symptoms of various stimulants/drugs are different for everyone. I think its entirely possible for a portion of the population who have a consistently greater reaction to something, to pass on this genetically. Then again, I think emotional/ physcological experience, and being bought up in an environment where that dependancy/addiction is prevalent is also a massive factor.

Then sometimes its like an throwback excuse like "i cant lose weight im just big-boned" as opposed to doing the hard yards and doing something about it.

I dont have an 'addictive personality' - but i do have loads of interests and obsessions and and sometimes a short attention span.

peaceout smile

E ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1175733238)

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
hug

--

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
We can't really have much of a discussion about addiction without differentiating between the physical and psychological components of addiction and without acknowledging the differences in opinion held by an assortment of mental health health professionals.

Suffice to say, in order for something to be called an addiction it has to cause harm.

For instance..suppose you surf porn at work, your boss catches you and tells you if she catches you again, she'll fire you..you say ok...but continue to do it knowing that you've now put your livelihood in jeopardy...you get caught again..you're fired....that's causing harm.

You gamble away your grocery money and your kids go hungry...that's causing harm.

The interesting thing about smoking cigarettes is that it has both a physical and psychological aspect to it. First there's the nicotine dependency then there's what's commonly called the "habit", the psychological. Heroin is an example of something that's strictly physically addictive, as most people don't get off on sticking needles in their bodies.

The esteemed NY Times on addictive personalities

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYT

biochemists isolate the chemicals and mechanisms by which the brain gives itself pleasure

let me have some wink tongue bounce

Despite the wide gulf between an addiction to drugs and an addiction to gambling, some mental health experts find it useful to view addiction as including all self-destructive, compulsive behaviors. Some even go so far as to include the relatively benign activity of compulsive television-watching.

Now another question would be: what is classified "self destructive"? Whilst Stouts example is a good one for self-harming/ destructive behaviour, often it's not that obvious. Take for example "speed freaks" = ppl driving really fast, or pornaddicts who don't surf at work, but their own home.

So go and find your daily substitute... Workout, painting, yoga, cuddling with your boy/girlfriend... I remember that quote from one of the Cheech and Chong albums (can't recall which one): "Before I was all hooked on drugs - now I'm all hooked on the lord."

The report finds that there are several ''significant personality factors'' that can contribute to addiction:

- Impulsive behavior, difficulty in delaying gratification, an antisocial personality and a disposition toward sensation seeking.

- A high value on nonconformity combined with a weak commitment to the goals for achievement valued by the society.

- A sense of social alienation and a general tolerance for deviance.

- A sense of heightened stress. This may help explain why adolescence and other stressful transition periods are often associated with the most severe drug and alcohol problems.

EDITED_BY: FireTom (1175748482)

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
One of the classic chicken and egg situations.

Was he depressed so he started taking drugs? or did taking drugs make him depressed?

really depends which bandwagon your on.

Also underlines how dangerous the results of correlational research can be (eg 99% of convicts have smoked MJ, therefore MJ is a gateway drug to other criminal activity)

Josh

--

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Stout, a bit of an aside here, hopefully not too off topic-- but I wanted to mention that heroin is not just a physical addiction- there is often a whole lifestyle associated with its use. And some of the issues around the dependancy it creates are absolutely psycological in origin. Hence you see mixed responses to simple substitution of methadone, which largely eases the physical withdrawal, but does little to deal with the mental/social/social/psyc/habitual aspects of the drugs use. Treatment fails unless it considers these factors as well.

With heroin I found almost everyone was using as a form of self medication for mental pain. Absolutely there were issues before the drug was introduced. Unfortunately, it just masks the problems, and then brings in so many more problems of its own...

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: banshee

Unfortunately, it just masks the problems, and then brings in so many more problems of its own...

that's an understatement...

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I've often thought about the term "addictive personality" I thought I had one until I realised many of the things I did weren't truely addictive. I suppose most of them were habit forming more than addictive, they created a comfortable routine that (I felt) helped me cope with life stresses.

I then found they didn't actually help (some in fact were the complete opposite of help) but what i was needing was some kind of personal ritual. that allowed my mind to relax and to stop it's frantic pace OR something my body could do hypnotically WHILE I focused my mind at a task.

I agree with FireTom that what comes about is a compulsive obsession to partake in an act.
most here probably have that about poi / staff / juggling, (I know people who don't understand the want to juggle or spin on a lovelly summer day.. but they're just strange IMO lol)

Mine came to a head just before I had my breakdown where I was sat in work for about a week before it happened and all I was doing was juggling in my chair, I'd taken 3 balls to work and I sat not doing any work just juggling constantly, I did it at home too, because (with hindsight) I couldn't really take much more and the juggling kind of freed my mind from stress, whilst trying new patterns I stopped thinking about other things, when juggling simple patterns well I felt contentment. i HAD to do it,. or i would go crazy. ( I then found going crazy was the best thing that ever happened to me biggrin )

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
BansheeCat..I won't disagree with you on this one, in fact I spent several minutes considering the wisdom of posting that statement but decided to run with it anyway seeing as how I couldn't come up with another example of something that's physically addictive yet, IMO, sucks to do. One could indeed be addicted to the lifestyle. In fact it's actually the lifestyle itself that causes the harm, not the drug. OK in retrospect it wasn't the most well thought out statement.

FireTom, that's an interesting parallel you mentioned between being "hooked" on drugs and "hooked" on the lord. I've often wondered whether there's a relationship between psychological addiction and religion, but usually stop at * is being religious causing harm ? * question.

Mynci, that's an interesting insight about allowing your body to juggle while your mind was focused on something else. Some of the best poi " practice" sessions I've had have been while I'm thinking about something completely unrelated. I know we all joke about being addicted to our toys ( and being on HoP ) but really they're not true addictions unless they're causing harm. Compulsions..yes. Better you distracted yourself with something harmless like juggling rather than seeking solace in something much more insidious, like hard drugs, or alcohol.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Well after my girlfriend abandoned me with the words: "I know it'll hurt but I am sure you'll be fine with all your friends on HoP - which you seem to love more than me..." Now, is then HoP a drug/ addiction, if it affects my relationship? [/ironic] wink

However, I reckon some of former addicts are happily turning to religion/ spirituality - as their minds are looking for entertainment and satisfaction. One, that in fact is hard to come by.

I definately can comply with that "lifestyle"-subject. IMHO it's not the drug, but the lifestyle and attitude that comes with it (i.e. "if I'm smoking weed every/ all day, I will feel too lazy to get a shower and clean my room, take care of my body and education, friends and family and foremost, I will not really/ truely notice ppl" -> perfect excuse for becoming a (socially defined) "looser")

Which means that it's not the drug, that turns someone into a scumbag or boofhead, but it's the personality that is looking for a way to realize itself and this by any means necessary.

juggle -ing can help biggrin

Page: