Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival 2007 25th - 29th July 2007

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone and welcome to PLAY FESTIVAL 2007!!

Please forgive me for the lack of info, I have no computer to use and it'll be a few weeks more until I'm able to update it more often. I'll come back and put more up as and when I can.

Hopefully most of this info you'll have gotten from our newsletter, if not sign up to it on the website now! www.playfestival.co.uk

We had a wonderful 5 days last year and can only say that 2007 will be even better!

Thanks to everyone who came last year and who gave us feedback on what they thought of the festival, we've taken all comments on board and hope we can make the festival one that you'll enjoy even more than the last.

The dates for this years festival will be Wednesday 25th - Sunday 29th July and we will be at the same venue, Fordhall Farm in Market Drayton, Shropshire. The tickets will be £35 in advance and £40 on the door, that will include most workshops, 4 nights camping, the shows and other entertainments during the festival

We have lots planned for this years festival, more areas to play in with the emphasis on getting everyone involved, we will have a proper go at the world record after last years attempt didn't go so well (although it does look awesome on video!!!) and of course the usual abundance of workshops to keep you all busy in the day.

We'll have two stages this year, the main stage/tent and and nice little caberet tent, a solar powered cinema, a PROPER bar & food tent and a few more folks selling the stuff you want to buy (even if you don't realise it yet! heheh)

New for this year will be the PLAY HOP Amateur Performance of the year. It's a little competition we've come up with that can be entered by anyone for any type of performance. No more than 4 minutes long with a cash prize for the winner and the chance to feature on the next PLAY DVD. As you might guess from the title the event is sponsored by HomeofPoi.com (who have proudly given us the prizes for our games over the last two years). More details will follow soon...

The DVD of last years festival will be out at some point, probably exactly at the time we plan it to come out wink Focusing more on spreading knowledge to learn the arts than the last DVD and we're sure it'll knock your socks off!

If you want to contact us about anything please email us at one of the following addresses:

info@playfestival.co.uk

comments@playfestival.co.uk

volunteers@playfestival.co.uk

traders@playfestival.co.uk

If anyone wants specific footage from last years festival please wait until after the DVD is out, Strugz & co are busy enough editing the full thing to start making cuts for people! Thanks smile

As my internet access is sporadic at best till my pc is up and running, I might not be able to reply to email straight away, if you want to talk to me about anything call me on 07814 018091 and if you don't get an answer LEAVE A VOICEMAIL!

Keep checking the website for the latest information and we'll send out newsletters as often as we can.

hugs & smiles

Dunc hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

UnclassifiedLeggyGirlBRONZE Member
One day penguins will take over the world
916 posts

Posted:
agreed.... i knew mech was a geek... i didn't realise it was this much wink

ummmm...........anybody have any suggestions as to what i can put here?!

mjk is monitoring your interwebs!

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
aw i always had my suspicions :P

if i could be a busy busy bee...

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
would like to point out, that you lot have no IDEA how low it runs....

i would say how deep, but its pretty base low to wink *kinky face*

i grew up reading my old mans comics books form the 70's golden age...

silver surfer RULES (apart form in the recent movie, whats wrong with a giant humanoid in a giant purple hat with horns, and flying a galactic commode!)

Step (el-nombrie)

UnclassifiedLeggyGirlBRONZE Member
One day penguins will take over the world
916 posts

Posted:
lol awww..... so you really didn't have much choice, blame your geekiness on your father then! lol actually no, you wouldn't be mech without your little strange quirks (in this case geekiness hug) and gotta agree with you recent movie is a load of rubbish

ummmm...........anybody have any suggestions as to what i can put here?!

mjk is monitoring your interwebs!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UnclassifiedLeggyGirl

lol awww..... so you really didn't have much choice, blame your geekiness on your father then! lol actually no, you wouldn't be mech without your little strange quirks (in this case geekiness hug) and gotta agree with you recent movie is a load of rubbish

erm....no

Step (el-nombrie)

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mech

(given thet DC comics are rubbish (as he opens a can of death))

eek

*pours death from pre-opened can all over Mech*

Actually, my favourites come from both sides of the Marvel/DC split, so I'm not really too bothered. Just don't insult Batman again wink

I wouldn't worry about the weather - Play'll be awesome regardless of the weather smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
dude.

bov

mate

batman is as gay as they come, for a start he has style, and finess, also he is a drama queen, and loves to over act

secondly everything he owns matches, and accessories perfectly!

he belt matches his logo, his car matches his hat, his hat matches his boots, his plane matches his car

come on the guy know fashion, and he is UBER gay

and yes i would say this to his face, i know who he really is

Step (el-nombrie)

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
For sure - cant wait to get my hands on your new tricks mate
You know anyone doing lasso?
Peas out

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
But he has wonderful toys - even the Joker says so.
Just skip right over the Shark repellant bat-spray umm

Besides, it's not all gay, he's just a good enough detective to work out that black = cool and went a bit overboard wink

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Bov, he wears black rubber and has a young boy who wears green speedos (or tights) stay with him... how much more gay can he be? tongue

As far as X-Men go, what about Jean Grey/Phoenix at PLAY? Telekinetic Object Manipulation may be cheating but thinking of moves and pretty patterns for various shapes and sizes of floating objects takes a bit of thought! Weather manipulation isn't beyond her either!

And I'm sure her fiery phoenix aura can be made into other shapes rather a sodding bird! devil

And she can atomise any hecklers... devil

She could also probably make anyone stoned instantly without greenery! Probably give you an orgasm instantly too (ala Emma Frost) tongue

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

Bov, he wears black rubber and has a young boy who wears green speedos (or tights) stay with him... how much more gay can he be? tongue

Fair point, I suppose I concede that - there's no point arguing against a Batman and Robin gay relationship, the tights make it fairly blatant.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Jean Grey's useless and annoying. Mystique is much better, at least she could do some bodypaint for us all biggrin

As for the boys, maybe Iceman? In case it gets really hot (as if) and we need our beers chilled?

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

Let's look at the evidence:
Dresses entirely in rubber.
As does his young friend (or in nylons, depending on which version you're referencing from)
Has a "servant" (pronounced "slave") who obeys his every whim.

And you're all saying it's a gay thing?

(OK then Dave, since we're on about Batman, I can do "Labyrinth" to the forthcoming "Dark Knight" with three other movies in between, can you do better?)

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I vote for the fetish loving Batman....

He is just cooool.

(though I always thought Gambit was cooool as well. But not batman cool).

TastesLikePurpleGOLD Member
addict
498 posts

Posted:
come on - batman is NOT a super hero!!! he has no powers whatsoever!! just a bunch of cheesy gadgets! any old guy/gal who knows the ninja arts with the right funding can be batman! *calms down* X-men must live forever smile
but anyway less than three weeks to go now! are we all excited! and the sun WILL come out! it will!...it better

Thoughts arrive like butterflies...

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TastesLikePurple

come on - batman is NOT a super hero!!! he has no powers whatsoever!! just a bunch of cheesy gadgets! any old guy/gal who knows the ninja arts with the right funding can be batman! *calms down* X-men must live forever smile
but anyway less than three weeks to go now! are we all excited! and the sun WILL come out! it will!...it better

thats what makes batman so amazing

he has no powers, hes jus a mentalist who relies on his cunning and years of training to kill those evil ppl

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

addict
498 posts

Posted:
lol, don't misread me! i'm not disputing he's a hero - cause he is. A mighty fine hero of the people infact! but he's not a SUPERhero cause Super implies that there is some sort of superhuman element to the hero that a normal human could never attain. ... although i have to add that depsite being a hero of the people, the camp 70's tv shows kinda destroyed any credibilty Batman had... sorry

offtopic

336 posts

Posted:

the camp 70's tv shows kinda destroyed any credibilty Batman had.

60s, not 70s
See, told you the never really happened...

offtopic

No sh** Sherlock!!
If we can somehow bring this thread round to a bat-workshop will you forgive us?

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

addict
498 posts

Posted:
eek harsh! and you can forgive my 60's/70's mistake - i wasn't born for another 20 years! although a bat workshop - why not? we could all be blindfolded and must find our way around through hearing alone, then turn it into a kind of flipped version of blind mans buff? the funny image of people falling over each other seems a good enough reason to do it! ubbrollsmile

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
If you want to know about Super heroes, you gotta watch out for Wondering Woman and SuperUnderpantsMan and their arch-nemesis Dr.EvilGrundies at a Fringe Festival near you (if you live in Edinburgh) this Summer, with possibly a Premier appearance at PLAY should the 'wind' blow and the Renegade be hi-jacked by a mad Machete wielding maniac disguised as a compeer!!!

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
My favourite hero of all times is Wonderbra Bernd. And the only good thing about Batman is that in one film, he looks like Christian Bale.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

336 posts

Posted:

eek harsh!

Oops, soz hon, didn't mean for you to take it like that, thought I was simply putting my geekiness on display for all to point and laugh at me for (again)

and you can forgive my 60's/70's mistake - i wasn't born for another 20 years!

I can indeed.. I could, alternately, forgive you cos it's about the Adam West Batman series and so therefore NOT IN THE LEAST BIT IMPORTANT (shouting for my own benefit, see, if I say it loud enough I might manage to convince myself... Nah, who am I trying to kid..)

although a bat workshop - why not? we could all be blindfolded and must find our way around through hearing alone, then turn it into a kind of flipped version of blind mans buff? the funny image of people falling over each other seems a good enough reason to do it! ubbrollsmile

When I was teaching outdoor ed we used to play a game with the kids where you'd be in pairs, one person would shout, and the other "seek" - except that the seekers keep their eyes shut or are blindfolded throughout.. All the shouters would each take someone else's seeker to a random point in the field and spin them apround a few times, then all the shouters would gather in a line (from which they then don't move) and, on a cue, all start shouting for their seeker.. Winning pair are the first two reunited...
And there's all kinds of fun to be had with leading blindfolded folks around..
And while you're flipping blind man's bluff around, why not some alternate version of "squeak piggy squeak"?
"Murder in the dark" with the dark being provided by blindfolds?
Ooh.. All sorts of bat-possibilities...

shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
those games sounds like great fun!

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
we did one a while ago... you have multiple teams of 3 people. One is blindfolded.
One can't talk but has to sign, and can see the blindfolded one.
The third can talk, but only see the person who has to sign.
So the sign-person has to sign orders to the blind one, that the one who can talk then shouts out, and the blindfolded one has to go and pick up a juggling ball and then throw it at another team's blind player.
Whoever gets hit is out, the rest go on until there's only one blind person left.

Great fun smile

(G.W. Dahlquist)

glennerooprofessional loser
140 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PinkNigel

When I was teaching outdoor ed we used to play a game with the kids where you'd be in pairs, one person would shout, and the other "seek" - except that the seekers keep their eyes shut or are blindfolded throughout.. All the shouters would each take someone else's seeker to a random point in the field and spin them apround a few times, then all the shouters would gather in a line (from which they then don't move) and, on a cue, all start shouting for their seeker.. Winning pair are the first two reunited...
And there's all kinds of fun to be had with leading blindfolded folks around..
And while you're flipping blind man's bluff around, why not some alternate version of "squeak piggy squeak"?
"Murder in the dark" with the dark being provided by blindfolds?
Ooh.. All sorts of bat-possibilities...

*pre-festival drooling over never-ending photo-ops*
im gonna need 14 cameras just to cover every corner... and then hook those to computers so i can join in the fun tooooooooo biggrin

so uhm, does anyone know whats with this solar-powered cinema? does that mean a projector i can hook up to and do my kinky photoshows in there whenever or...??

fotography: glenneroo.net
filmography: glenneroo.org

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Hey FireNix!!

Yes, Jed has found freaky ways of newness but has been banned from using the whip until he has his shoulder op. Watching him dislocate his shoulder during a performance wasn't fun.

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Yipes! Just decided I can't miss Play, and I'm flying both myself and my friend Jocelyn to London (from Bali)on July 24th.

Anybody want to help us get to the site?

Anybody got some extra tents?

Yipe yipe yipe!!!

It will be good to see everybody, especially with some of the difficult events of late.

Gotta buy tickets...

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Also, anybody going to the Big Green Gathering after Play? I don't have much lined up for the week-following-play week. Suggestions appreciated smile

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Heh Nick - I thought you were gonna make it out for Glade aswell? Was hoping to re-form the original BoyBand. Oh well it'll have to be at PLAY. Yep I have a spare tent for you both - It will be a luxury 8 man if thats OK with you
Be good to see you Bud - Blessings to Bali and of course to you
Peas

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Cooooooool biggrin

Fancy running any workshops Nick?
(And you Rob for that matter smile )

Burner of Toast