Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival 2007 25th - 29th July 2007

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone and welcome to PLAY FESTIVAL 2007!!

Please forgive me for the lack of info, I have no computer to use and it'll be a few weeks more until I'm able to update it more often. I'll come back and put more up as and when I can.

Hopefully most of this info you'll have gotten from our newsletter, if not sign up to it on the website now! www.playfestival.co.uk

We had a wonderful 5 days last year and can only say that 2007 will be even better!

Thanks to everyone who came last year and who gave us feedback on what they thought of the festival, we've taken all comments on board and hope we can make the festival one that you'll enjoy even more than the last.

The dates for this years festival will be Wednesday 25th - Sunday 29th July and we will be at the same venue, Fordhall Farm in Market Drayton, Shropshire. The tickets will be £35 in advance and £40 on the door, that will include most workshops, 4 nights camping, the shows and other entertainments during the festival

We have lots planned for this years festival, more areas to play in with the emphasis on getting everyone involved, we will have a proper go at the world record after last years attempt didn't go so well (although it does look awesome on video!!!) and of course the usual abundance of workshops to keep you all busy in the day.

We'll have two stages this year, the main stage/tent and and nice little caberet tent, a solar powered cinema, a PROPER bar & food tent and a few more folks selling the stuff you want to buy (even if you don't realise it yet! heheh)

New for this year will be the PLAY HOP Amateur Performance of the year. It's a little competition we've come up with that can be entered by anyone for any type of performance. No more than 4 minutes long with a cash prize for the winner and the chance to feature on the next PLAY DVD. As you might guess from the title the event is sponsored by HomeofPoi.com (who have proudly given us the prizes for our games over the last two years). More details will follow soon...

The DVD of last years festival will be out at some point, probably exactly at the time we plan it to come out wink Focusing more on spreading knowledge to learn the arts than the last DVD and we're sure it'll knock your socks off!

If you want to contact us about anything please email us at one of the following addresses:

info@playfestival.co.uk

comments@playfestival.co.uk

volunteers@playfestival.co.uk

traders@playfestival.co.uk

If anyone wants specific footage from last years festival please wait until after the DVD is out, Strugz & co are busy enough editing the full thing to start making cuts for people! Thanks smile

As my internet access is sporadic at best till my pc is up and running, I might not be able to reply to email straight away, if you want to talk to me about anything call me on 07814 018091 and if you don't get an answer LEAVE A VOICEMAIL!

Keep checking the website for the latest information and we'll send out newsletters as often as we can.

hugs & smiles

Dunc hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
i miss play frown

the pics are awsome! brings back wicked memorys smile

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

TastesLikePurpleGOLD Member
addict
498 posts

Posted:
yeh it was a shame you missed out on the brownies - they were definately the better choice, yum yum! but then if mech hadn't taken more than his fair share then you might have got some - blame his greed

oh and btw, thank you for catching me before i fell on all those rather painful looking music stands on thursday thankx, that could've ended rather badly...

Thoughts arrive like butterflies...

monseratSILVER Member
My flabber is gasted
737 posts

Posted:
With the risk of repeating everything that's been said above ... that was brilliant!!! biggrin

Thanks and well done to all the organisers and volunteers that kept everything running, thanks to anyone who taught me something and hugs and love to everyone I met, talked to, shared drinks with, laughed with and smoked with hug hug hug

roll on Play 2008 indeed...

Chaos is the natural state of the universe

Some days I'm the pigeon, some days I'm the statue.

honourary militant margerine ninJAH

If it wasn't for displacement activity I wouldn't get half as much done

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
ok so i didnt get many pics but heres mine smile
oh and a bit blurry.... nothing to do with alcohol im sure wink

picys

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Play rocked. biggrin
Lots.

My Highlights:

Jacques Cider smile
Glitter
Matty B's bum
Drunken Drew
Late night drunken boob wrestling
Beatboxing
FenFire's show...Good work guys!
Breakdancing
Getting to judge PHAPPY
Performing in the rain and loving it
Pimms
Bacon
Bams' Shmiky
Mags singing "I will survive" and "Another Mans Cause"
Nipple tassles
Steve Mischief
David Bowie and the Goblins
Sandy keeping his clothes on
Toast fire routine (wiggle baby! biggrin)
and a UCOF cooked breakfast

Gayle.....!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Gayle, what about our dance off with Drew's bewbs on the renegade stage?!! ubblol

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
yeah, late night drunken boob wrestling wink

Gayle.....!

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Hey all. I'm really shattered so I'll keep this short...

I hope everyone who attended the devilstick workshops feels like they learned something.

I really hope that everyone who watched any of the bands on Friday or Saturday enjoyed them - I have to say that I think Wobbly Squadren are destined for big things.

Durbs - I'm sorry we couldnt do more when you guys played.

Everyone involved in the renegade - I think that was possibly the most confusing show I've ever worked on.

I'm gutted that I missed the Chimera show getting the main tent ready for the renegade (I'm sure I'll see it some time).

Simta - You were an absolute legend on your birthday dude - Glad I could be of service smile

I'll post more later but I imagine it will mostly be me saying thanks to people who made the weekend extremely funny.

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Wooooo

Didnt wake up until 2.30pm today ubblol Mmmm sleep.

Spent the whole festival worried about weight watchers but have just got back and lost 3lbs and reached my first stone target!
Hooray for miscellaneous festival food ubblol

I dont think I can get away with chocolate brownies for breakfast now that I'm at home and sleeping all day recovering rolleyes

My favourite quote from the weekend

"Are you a hopper?"
"Whats that?"
"Are you on the website home of poi?"
"Oh is it like myspace?"

rolleyes ubblol

Feeling refreshed, happy, and warm inside.
Havnt been to any festival yet that can beat PLAY hug

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TastesLikePurple

thank you for catching me before i fell on all those rather painful looking music stands on thursday

No worries... I seem to remember catching you, but not what you were doing in the first place! Was that part of the late night acro session or something else? smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

addict
498 posts

Posted:
no... it was as we came on for the phappy results and i stupidly leant on the white screen at the back of the stage without realising it wasn't supported by anything ooooops it's one way to get rid of my nerves of being onstage... they were just replaced by embarassment instead!

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
If it makes you feel any better TLP, I don't think anyone noticed until you just brought it up! Well done for actually getting up onstage when asked! When I got asked I gave a blank look of confusion, panicked and chickened out!

<< *loser*

Highlights

*Jen/Bubbles being very creative with Contact staff!

*Aussie Chris in Phappy (despite/because of the pyjamas!) *swoon* (This year's Meast?)

*Antii ('nuff said)

*Wet and glistening Chimera (mmmm, slippery...)

*Twisted Ninjas and the 'Ninjury!' (ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!)

*Fenfire and Sebastian performances *head-blag (in a good way)*

*Nipple Tassles on various blokes *giggle*

*The Parmesean Spinach and Pinenut pasta from Hurly Burlys (yum)

*Joe Driscoll (friend of mine raves about him, didn't even know he was playing!!)

*Tempting Beth with a Jar of Nutella...

*Being a goblin in the David Bowie thing (even coming up with a secret Goblin handshake backstage!)

*Having so many non-HOPpers from Manc attend

*Being pinker than PinkNigel (neh-neh)

*Converting Chutney to staff

*Impromptu campfire singalong in the marquee at 6am Sunday (without the campire)

*Meg's hair STILL being a conversation topic...

*Sym's Weirdy Beardy wunder-pegging! (photos please)

*Saying goodbye for 3 hours... hug

And much much more...

LOWLIGHTS

*The Rain (go away!)

*Chickening out of aforemented PHAPPY (WTF does that stand for anyway?)

*The Rain (f*ck off!!)

*Forgetting about half the material I came up with for the Gollum renegade

*Absentees (boo!)

*The Rain (NOW!)

*Saying goodbye for 3 hours frown

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
oooh Dave, yeah, the 6 am random singalong thingy was definitely a highlight.

By the way, if anyone has a picture of me on stage with the Balloonatic Steve, could you please let me know? I want photographic evidence if there is any ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
There is now a lost and Found system of forums on Playfestival.co.uk

Please use them to identify the items you have well...lost or found smile

Step (el-nombrie)

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
Woo, I had a great time, was my first year and I was blown away! Had my mind exploded with loads of really, really cool new stuff to learn, and met loads of really cool people.

I knew hoppers were nice people, but I was really stunned by how friendly people were (though mech is sometimes worrying to have next to you in a human pyramid...) smile

(Special mention has to go to Dave for recognising me by my shoulders, bless wink)

There's no question of me not making next year, I'll be able to do doubles my then damnit, and I'll be spreading more nunchaku love, and beating Yakumo at ropedart and being less shy about saying hello and and and...

I'm tired now :P

addict
498 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

If it makes you feel any better TLP, I don't think anyone noticed until you just brought it up!

Buggar!

shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
i would like to add an especially big thank you to two bags and chanti for thier workshop teaching me how to stick things up my nose smile ubbrollsmile
grossing everone out was my highlight today at work.

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

crazy_andynewbie
21 posts

Posted:
I had a great time everyone, thanks for all being cool and stuff. It was an amazing event and I look forward to meeting you all again next year.

Andrew Parlane

ps. if anyone wants my e-mail and didn't get it at the festival, pm me.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
here's my pics

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

devkevSILVER Member
discoverer of phat and poigling
292 posts

Posted:
wicked... thanks dunc... luv ya

its all about the fun fun fun fun and more fun...

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Joe_47

(Special mention has to go to Dave for recognising me by my shoulders, bless wink)

And your hairdo. I'm very perceptive about these things. I'm an artist after all... wink

Great to meet you in person hug

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:

I knew hoppers were nice people, but I was really stunned by how friendly people were (though mech is sometimes worrying to have next to you in a human pyramid...) smile

was that because of the one hand song i made up, and was taking my hands off the floor during the basing of the pyramid?

Step (el-nombrie)

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
next year... definetly next year smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Well Pete... When I get back to England next year I'm bring you with me in my luggage... tongue

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
its a deal smile hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
So much fun... so much HOOPING!!

I need to say a couple of sorry's- sorry for losing the chocolate frown
and sorry for only managing to say goodbye to about 2 people... will do better next year.

Some thankyou's too- to anyone that looked after/entertained/cuddled my kids, especially Scully ubblove (please will you pass my thanks on to Cath too?), anyone that endured listening to me moan about P, and Baby Lee for saving me from dissolving into a crying mess in the nick of time by offering his arm to squeeze smile

Thanks too to the entire Play team for the whole gorgeous festy that it is!

I am slowly becoming more sociable at these things, but next year I will definately have to come as me rather than as mummy, so I can have more fun.

Any dates for next year yet??

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
Well.... Where to start...........what an awesome festival.....!!!!!!!!!!!! made by the people for the people!!!!!!
Working at PLAY this year was an extra special treat .....to be a part of a community where there is so much love and team work is something most people never get to experience in a lifetime!! we get to do it once a year!!! rolleyes biggrin
I would like to say thanks to everyone who helped Tom and myself rigging up the power for the fesatival!!! we couldn't have done it in time without you so a massive thanks to you guys....
Obviously a massive thanks for the commitee Dunc,Strugz,Rob and Durbs.....I thought i was hard working!!!!!!! jeeeez.........

Managed to get more spinning time in this year too!!! yey!!!!! learnt loads of cool stuff and loads of new toys!!!! bonza!!!!!

Highlights of my festival................

Meeting up with all my friends i haven't seen for ages..
Jakes Van....
Making Brandy Coffee for the fen fire lot in return for some tuition!!!
Brandy Coffee in general!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ben For teaching me how to juggle and pass clubs!!!!
Steve Cousins for all his advice and guideance!!!! (and seem to remember whisky at some point) Nice one dude!!!!!
All the performers and their shows......
And obviously joe driscoll...need i say more
I could go on and on and on......
Sitting with Dunc, Rob and Tom on Sunday night looking at an empty field remenising the laughs and fun that had beenin the fiedl for the previous 7 days and talking about next years PLAY!!!!!

Lowlights.....

uummmmmmm....
Weather at times.....
spilling 2 full cafetiers of brandy coffee all over the fen fires.......
Coming home and leaving everyone behind......
Thats it!!!!!!!!!!!!

hope to catch some of you at BJCand Falmouth until then!!!!!

tatty bye!!!!!!!!!

who ate all the poi's?

How much of a difference will YOU make to the world today?

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
ubblove What a beautiful beautiful festy ubblove

I had such an amazing time. Thank you so much to everyone who I spent time with, to the people I met and the people I met again. biggrin I didn't go to as many workshops as planned, and thanks to a certain few, hardly got any sleep winkbut I really really did have such an amazing time and am defenitly feeling the post-festy blues hug Well done to all the organisers and helpers! Cant wait till next year! bounce hug ubblove

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
 Written by: misscorinthian

(please will you pass my thanks on to Cath too?)

There really is no need to thank either of us. You're girls are lots of fun to be around! My sister is never happier than when she is blowing raspberries on babies bellies smile I will pass on the thanks for you. ubbrollsmile

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mech

was that because of the one hand song i made up, and was taking my hands off the floor during the basing of the pyramid?

I reckon it just might be wink How did it go again?

Page: ......