Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival 2007 25th - 29th July 2007

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone and welcome to PLAY FESTIVAL 2007!!

Please forgive me for the lack of info, I have no computer to use and it'll be a few weeks more until I'm able to update it more often. I'll come back and put more up as and when I can.

Hopefully most of this info you'll have gotten from our newsletter, if not sign up to it on the website now! www.playfestival.co.uk

We had a wonderful 5 days last year and can only say that 2007 will be even better!

Thanks to everyone who came last year and who gave us feedback on what they thought of the festival, we've taken all comments on board and hope we can make the festival one that you'll enjoy even more than the last.

The dates for this years festival will be Wednesday 25th - Sunday 29th July and we will be at the same venue, Fordhall Farm in Market Drayton, Shropshire. The tickets will be £35 in advance and £40 on the door, that will include most workshops, 4 nights camping, the shows and other entertainments during the festival

We have lots planned for this years festival, more areas to play in with the emphasis on getting everyone involved, we will have a proper go at the world record after last years attempt didn't go so well (although it does look awesome on video!!!) and of course the usual abundance of workshops to keep you all busy in the day.

We'll have two stages this year, the main stage/tent and and nice little caberet tent, a solar powered cinema, a PROPER bar & food tent and a few more folks selling the stuff you want to buy (even if you don't realise it yet! heheh)

New for this year will be the PLAY HOP Amateur Performance of the year. It's a little competition we've come up with that can be entered by anyone for any type of performance. No more than 4 minutes long with a cash prize for the winner and the chance to feature on the next PLAY DVD. As you might guess from the title the event is sponsored by HomeofPoi.com (who have proudly given us the prizes for our games over the last two years). More details will follow soon...

The DVD of last years festival will be out at some point, probably exactly at the time we plan it to come out wink Focusing more on spreading knowledge to learn the arts than the last DVD and we're sure it'll knock your socks off!

If you want to contact us about anything please email us at one of the following addresses:

info@playfestival.co.uk

comments@playfestival.co.uk

volunteers@playfestival.co.uk

traders@playfestival.co.uk

If anyone wants specific footage from last years festival please wait until after the DVD is out, Strugz & co are busy enough editing the full thing to start making cuts for people! Thanks smile

As my internet access is sporadic at best till my pc is up and running, I might not be able to reply to email straight away, if you want to talk to me about anything call me on 07814 018091 and if you don't get an answer LEAVE A VOICEMAIL!

Keep checking the website for the latest information and we'll send out newsletters as often as we can.

hugs & smiles

Dunc hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

spaceySILVER Member
mischeivious pixie
291 posts

Posted:
hello happy hop people, will there be lift sharing going on to help the poor peeps get there without cars?

dont mind catching the train but would be a mission with all my gear!!

ive missed the last play's and am looking forward to finally making it to this one

bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2

"I dont want no fatty bumbum, i want a lean mean shagging machine" anon

"I'm sweet and wholesome with a little bit of filth thrown in"

What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

E_V_I_LMosh-mosh-mosh-mosh.
346 posts

Posted:
Well, I'm in the midlands and I have a large car, if anyone needs a lift I'm sure I can assist if you're in the area or on the way !

Xbox360 Live ID - Sacred Apollyon

"Enemies you threaten make armies. Enemies you destroy make graves."

"Here is a test to see if your mission on earth is finished: If your alive it isn't."

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I think what Sym may be trying to point out is, are you really relying on HoP as the official place to organise a festival?

Granted, most of PLAY's revenue does come from users of this site, but what was the point in setting up the official website if people are relying on this thread to organise official things (such as traders, suppliers, workshops etc)?

I accept that yes, this is the easiest way for many people to contact Dunc and Co, but to complain at people for chatting about the event because you find it hard to see when something official is said, is a bit selfish, really. That's what the website is for.

Durbs certainly had the right idea by making his 'official announcement' post stand out from the rest instead of complaining.

I'm not being funny, or trying to pounce on people here (I do mean this in the nicest possible way) but this website is Home of Poi, not PLAY festival.

hug smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

spaceySILVER Member
mischeivious pixie
291 posts

Posted:
thanks for the offer E_V_I_L but i live in london....

......so anyone in london driving...is there room for little ol me ubblol hug

"I dont want no fatty bumbum, i want a lean mean shagging machine" anon

"I'm sweet and wholesome with a little bit of filth thrown in"

What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hi Mech... I meditate... just not enough.

Workshops I'd like to do:

Swing dance - by Drew and Mithi
Massage - by anyone who can help me learn more
Reiki massage - an intro
Contact staff - Meg or Strugz
Poi and movement - Ros
Basics of a good show - Dave Knox and Rob
CJ - Drew
Cool shapes to make with your fingers - anyone who knows

smile

Getting to the other side smile

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
frown

looks like Jea9 and I can't make it to PLAY. eek

we have a job in Germany teaching there for a week starting on the 28th, and TBH, the money is very inviting.

frown

Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Be Water My Friend.

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
I'll be bringing my boyfriend along - he's been breakdancing for about 6 years and im sure he wouldnt mind doing a bit of an unofficial workshop if there is any interest in it? xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Oh yes please Vix....

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
2 cents: I love reading all the random chat biggrin

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

JtJCheck ya later
500 posts

Posted:
i'd be well up for taking part in a breakdancing w/s!

he's not one of the prs is he vix?

sym, LTC: fairy pants smile

Jake the Juggler

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I do reiki, but I'm not a master so can't teach anyone I'm afraid! I can give healing though (allegedly!) if anyone wants some.
I'd like to attend Sym's beard and evolution workshop smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

346 posts

Posted:
Just reminded me, my ex was meant to pay for me to under go my first attunement ! Damnation !

Must follow that up myself. .....

"Here is a test to see if your mission on earth is finished: If your alive it isn't."

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
ooo, I may make this as it is in the summer holidays. I'll work it out later, at the moment I can't think more than a day ahead...

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
ooo i want a breakdance workshop smile

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
I can teach a beginners tai chi workshop if people want it, just the exercises and breathing techniques, really good for opening up the joints and muscles and getting the energy flowing. Helpful for a full day of spinnyness! biggrin

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
YES! I've wanted to learn Tai Chi for ages. That'd be the coolest thing ever smile

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
ooh yes please Beth!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

solar_bearSILVER Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
Just to say I'm really looking forward to my first PLAY this year. I'm not sure who the Spitalfields people are on here, but I expect there will be a few going, too - sing out if that's you.

It may stop, but it never ends.

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
Tai Chi in the morning would be great

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

346 posts

Posted:
Yeah, Tai Chi is something I'd love to get into and learn.

TastesLikePurpleGOLD Member
addict
498 posts

Posted:
Tai Chi - wicked idea! damn i can't wait sooooooooo much! only thing that'd spoil it would be the weather - hope its like it was last year, or better - got a wicked tan wink what'll make it even better this year is not having to get the train cause i convinced my loverly boyfriend to come along with his car! yey! seriously - tent; clothes, camping and sleeping equipment rucksack; juggling and spinning bag and a staff bag on a train is not funny, NOT FUNNY - changeovers are a bitch! I would offer lifts but i think the car's full with me, Amy, my boyfriend, his mate and all our stuff - sorry! woohoo can't wait can't wait!!

Thoughts arrive like butterflies...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Re: Tai Chi (and other similair things like yoga)
I think they're an excellent idea, not only as a lovely morning activity, but also as a workshop in themselves - tai chi especially has such wicked fundamentals for movement, they can be applied to pretty much all spinning acts.

Keith from Burnt Toast is a Tai Chi, Bar Gua (sp?) and Kung Fu teacher - I'll see if I can twist his arm into teaching some soft-forms (i.e. not fast, combatitive forms).

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Looks like the breakin workshop is on then.

I want to try and actually go to workshops this year - if you see me wandering around please grab me and drag me along to a few! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
vix, you going to work with me again this year?

Step (el-nombrie)

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Durbs

Keith from Burnt Toast is a Tai Chi, Bar Gua (sp?) and Kung Fu teacher - I'll see if I can twist his arm into teaching some soft-forms (i.e. not fast, combatitive forms).

ubblol

that wont be a morning class then!!

ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
says you! wink

Step (el-nombrie)

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
 Written by: strugz

Written by: Durbs

ubblol

that wont be a morning class then!!

ubblol

ubblol ubblol*spits tea out nose..* ubblol ubblol

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
You mean to say, all this time I've known Kieth, I never knew he taught that stuff!!

I am so pestering him to teach me some forms!

Be Water My Friend.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Aye - he's one of Toast's secret weapons.
(The other secret weapons are so secret even I don't know what they are - it probably involves Lex and large objects wink )

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
That sounds cool, I can teach people some Wudang style hand form if they want to learn. Tai Chi has kind of taken over my life and it feels great! biggrin

Durbs - Bagua is another form of internal chinese martial art. Do you know what style of tai chi Kieth practices? I'm still a newb! smile

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Page: ......