Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival 2007 25th - 29th July 2007

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone and welcome to PLAY FESTIVAL 2007!!

Please forgive me for the lack of info, I have no computer to use and it'll be a few weeks more until I'm able to update it more often. I'll come back and put more up as and when I can.

Hopefully most of this info you'll have gotten from our newsletter, if not sign up to it on the website now! www.playfestival.co.uk

We had a wonderful 5 days last year and can only say that 2007 will be even better!

Thanks to everyone who came last year and who gave us feedback on what they thought of the festival, we've taken all comments on board and hope we can make the festival one that you'll enjoy even more than the last.

The dates for this years festival will be Wednesday 25th - Sunday 29th July and we will be at the same venue, Fordhall Farm in Market Drayton, Shropshire. The tickets will be £35 in advance and £40 on the door, that will include most workshops, 4 nights camping, the shows and other entertainments during the festival

We have lots planned for this years festival, more areas to play in with the emphasis on getting everyone involved, we will have a proper go at the world record after last years attempt didn't go so well (although it does look awesome on video!!!) and of course the usual abundance of workshops to keep you all busy in the day.

We'll have two stages this year, the main stage/tent and and nice little caberet tent, a solar powered cinema, a PROPER bar & food tent and a few more folks selling the stuff you want to buy (even if you don't realise it yet! heheh)

New for this year will be the PLAY HOP Amateur Performance of the year. It's a little competition we've come up with that can be entered by anyone for any type of performance. No more than 4 minutes long with a cash prize for the winner and the chance to feature on the next PLAY DVD. As you might guess from the title the event is sponsored by HomeofPoi.com (who have proudly given us the prizes for our games over the last two years). More details will follow soon...

The DVD of last years festival will be out at some point, probably exactly at the time we plan it to come out wink Focusing more on spreading knowledge to learn the arts than the last DVD and we're sure it'll knock your socks off!

If you want to contact us about anything please email us at one of the following addresses:

info@playfestival.co.uk

comments@playfestival.co.uk

volunteers@playfestival.co.uk

traders@playfestival.co.uk

If anyone wants specific footage from last years festival please wait until after the DVD is out, Strugz & co are busy enough editing the full thing to start making cuts for people! Thanks smile

As my internet access is sporadic at best till my pc is up and running, I might not be able to reply to email straight away, if you want to talk to me about anything call me on 07814 018091 and if you don't get an answer LEAVE A VOICEMAIL!

Keep checking the website for the latest information and we'll send out newsletters as often as we can.

hugs & smiles

Dunc hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
A mass hug is a great way to bring everyone together - particularly the Moppers who don't necessarily know as many poeple there as HoPpers do

But I kinda like the idea of a 'different hugs' workshop as well biggrin

And finger painting rocks! cool

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

LMSPBRONZE Member
veteran
1,588 posts

Posted:
Fire whip. STRICTLY PG ubblol I saw some dude I cannot at this moment recall, doing fire whips (2 short ones) when I went to stay at Nate's house last weekend.
I really want to learn now so I can chase chavs around and shout *I come in peace!* And other funny things I haven't thought of yet.

TastesLikePurpleGOLD Member
addict
498 posts

Posted:
both the hug and fingerpainting workshops sound awesome! spread the love! kiss ubblove grouphug

Thoughts arrive like butterflies...

shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
hug workshop sounds like great fun.. do it! biggrin

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

UnclassifiedLeggyGirlBRONZE Member
One day penguins will take over the world
916 posts

Posted:
pmls LMSP i love the chav chasing idea! include me in that please!

ummmm...........anybody have any suggestions as to what i can put here?!

mjk is monitoring your interwebs!

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
the hug workshop is probably do-able: the fingerpainting, weell, I'd need organisers to get in touch with me about that, because it'll need loads of non-toxic paint, and I'm not really sure where exactly to get it from, or come to that, how I'm going to get it to PLAY.

If there's somewhere near the site we can get it from, I'd MUCH rather fo that than lug it all the way from England. Also Health/Safety issues: I don't know? are there any with fingerpainting/hugging?

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

LMSPBRONZE Member
veteran
1,588 posts

Posted:
A hug workshop! Awesome idea. It can end with a good humoured Chave Chase and UnclassifiedLeggyGirl can lead the hunt ubblol

916 posts

Posted:
angel: no toxic paint is available is every arts and crafts workshop now, so that wouldn't be a problem, so the only thing would be how you get the paint there and health and safelty (i.e. making sure kids don't eat the paint) but that could also be solved by making sure there is an adult with each child when they do theirs, not really a big problem.

LMSP: why, i'd be honoured to lead the chase, i've been involved in quite a few successful chav chases in my time biggrin

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Whats a "Mopper" then?

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I won't hold a workshop, but I'm more than happy to teach people how to crack a whip - if you see me playing with my whips feel free to come over and ask to have a go smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

916 posts

Posted:
yakumo: a mopper is somebody that sits around watching other people do stuff but doesnt have the courage to get involved themselves

bovril monkey: i may take you up on that offer! if i learn nothing else at this fest i want to learn how to crack a whip! lol

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
well it would seem unfair on all the bondage freeks NOT to hold a Whip workshop. I shall be running one and expect you to attend BM, becuase im sure by this point you will have things to teach me.
Hug workshops always good. maybe an X-rated one for Renegade?! or in my new Boudoir - Le Chateau!!
Oh and Rob - GET THE BLOODY SOLAR STUFF UP ONTO THE WEBSITE
Bloody lazy bones!! wink
PS Can we ahve Renegade before Saturday night as I have to lave early Sunday morn to catch flight to German gig.
Oh and if a member of SOLAR was to get to Manchester or near Stanstead - would someone be able to give them a lift?
See y'all there

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

LMSPBRONZE Member
veteran
1,588 posts

Posted:
If you crack it, they will come ubblol sorta thing? I will be listening for the screams and follow them smile

Ninounewbie
9 posts

Posted:
Hi! 2 friends and I would really like to come for our 1st time to the Play festival!
We're from paris and have been trying to find how to get to wellington.
I looked around, but there are many pages on this topic and I searched on travelling websites but I don't find any train going to wellington. How do you get there?

Or maybe by chance someone is counting on going there from london and would have some room in the car for us 3? hehe
(or from somewhere in france or anywhere? : p )
would be great!!

(did I read whip workshop??!! wow )

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
hey ninou, I'd offer you to come with us since we're flying too, but you'll be coming from london appearantly and we're coming from manchester.
anyway the play website has instructions on getting there by public transportation.

www.playfestival.co.uk

click on venue on the left

Ninounewbie
9 posts

Posted:
thank you smile
but that would be going north to come back south...
I'm going to look how it works out ^^

another question, can we camp around before and after if needed for travelling purpose?

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Ninou, how are you getting to the UK, train, plane, or ferry?

I'm travelling up from London to PLAY, so if you're needing somebody to travel with I'll be more than happy to make a convoy. (Also applies to anyone else coming from that area by train)

The 5 hour journy to Southern Lights by myself was soul destroying, so I dont even want to think about travelling alone to shropshire right now! ubblol

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
 Written by: LazyAngel

I think 'flying, collapsing, super-lethal polythenes of doom' is going a tad far in describing gazebos wink

Then I might go so far as to suggest you've never had many dealings with health and safety inspectors?? For that is exactly what they could become in a high wind if not properly erected and secured (use of the word "erected" was completely appropriate, you filthy minded people!!!).. And my point was that they're far less likely to do that than a tarp is...

And health and safety and fingerpaints? You need a big sign saying "these paints are non-toxic, however, they may cause an allergic reaction, if that happens, it's not our fault cos you've been warned now, oh, and don't eat them or stick them up your nose or down your ears or in your eyes", or some such..

And hug workshops sound good...
..And I guess I can fit some whips on my bike too, so I'll happily join in/help out with that one..

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PinkNigel

oh, and don't eat them or stick them up your nose or down your ears or in your eyes", or some such..

awwww frown

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
ta leggygirl, not quite sure how I've missed that one on HoP till now..

glennerooprofessional loser
140 posts

Posted:
yay for hug workshops!! There should also be *mandatory* group hugs after every workshop, show, eating and any general gathering of more than 1 person, regardless of state of mind, fungus-like smells or otherwise. and if there's enough people to make a circle i.e. 4+, then similar circle-huggage like at the ending of überparis (and feuerkunst berlin and most other firey-festivals here in austria)... with a nice long, reciprocating, symbiotic and synergetically mind altering massage afterwards, oh yaaaa biggrin

fotography: glenneroo.net
filmography: glenneroo.org

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Sometimes I wish I had never found this forum, and therefore would not know about all the PLAY-ful, uber-things that happen overseas that I can never go to. frown But then, I wouldn't have something to look forward to doing. smile

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

glennerooprofessional loser
140 posts

Posted:
well then i would highly recommend you to join the ranks of the ever-growing collection of ex-california-ites who have thus moved "on" and away from dreadful, vacationless, less spinningfulfilled-and-fulfilling locations such as europe and down under, and all your worries will furthermore be dissolved with everlasting smiles and never-ending hugs! biggrin

...at least until you realize that there are such events happening all over the world and it's impossible to make it to all of them unless you find a job that pays enough in 2 weeks to let you travel around the world for the remaining 50... biggrin

though don't be upset if you still happen to miss a few festivals during those 2 weeks ubbloco

fotography: glenneroo.net
filmography: glenneroo.org

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Of course the ideal job would be one where attending all those festivals was actually part of the job. Selling toys of some sort or something like that wink

Cake or Death?

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Indeed, get on with it geekslave so I can get travelling ubblol

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
geekslave?!!! ubblol

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UnclassifiedLeggyGirl

yakumo: a mopper is somebody that sits around watching other people do stuff but doesnt have the courage to get involved themselves

Not quite right - Moppers are Members of the Public - ie non-HoPpers. T'was coined at the first Play cos it was pretty cool that it was roughly 50/50 HoPpers and non-HoPpers or Moppers. In actual fact, just about all the Moppers DID get involved and do stuff. So it's not derogatory, just a statement of fact. smile

How about a combined X-rated Whip & Hug workshop? spank devil ubbangel biggrin

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
You're NAUGHTY spank

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

LMSPBRONZE Member
veteran
1,588 posts

Posted:
I was wondering how the helper situation is. If you guys get short handed you are more than welcome to ask me to help out biggrin

I will say no but I don't want you to feel like you can't ask. ubbrollsmile ubbangel

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
 Written by: =Flashpoint=

You're NAUGHTY spank

Ooh I do hope so after all these years of practice wink ubblol

Euonymous Europeus

Page: ......