Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival 2007 25th - 29th July 2007

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone and welcome to PLAY FESTIVAL 2007!!

Please forgive me for the lack of info, I have no computer to use and it'll be a few weeks more until I'm able to update it more often. I'll come back and put more up as and when I can.

Hopefully most of this info you'll have gotten from our newsletter, if not sign up to it on the website now! www.playfestival.co.uk

We had a wonderful 5 days last year and can only say that 2007 will be even better!

Thanks to everyone who came last year and who gave us feedback on what they thought of the festival, we've taken all comments on board and hope we can make the festival one that you'll enjoy even more than the last.

The dates for this years festival will be Wednesday 25th - Sunday 29th July and we will be at the same venue, Fordhall Farm in Market Drayton, Shropshire. The tickets will be £35 in advance and £40 on the door, that will include most workshops, 4 nights camping, the shows and other entertainments during the festival

We have lots planned for this years festival, more areas to play in with the emphasis on getting everyone involved, we will have a proper go at the world record after last years attempt didn't go so well (although it does look awesome on video!!!) and of course the usual abundance of workshops to keep you all busy in the day.

We'll have two stages this year, the main stage/tent and and nice little caberet tent, a solar powered cinema, a PROPER bar & food tent and a few more folks selling the stuff you want to buy (even if you don't realise it yet! heheh)

New for this year will be the PLAY HOP Amateur Performance of the year. It's a little competition we've come up with that can be entered by anyone for any type of performance. No more than 4 minutes long with a cash prize for the winner and the chance to feature on the next PLAY DVD. As you might guess from the title the event is sponsored by HomeofPoi.com (who have proudly given us the prizes for our games over the last two years). More details will follow soon...

The DVD of last years festival will be out at some point, probably exactly at the time we plan it to come out wink Focusing more on spreading knowledge to learn the arts than the last DVD and we're sure it'll knock your socks off!

If you want to contact us about anything please email us at one of the following addresses:

info@playfestival.co.uk

comments@playfestival.co.uk

volunteers@playfestival.co.uk

traders@playfestival.co.uk

If anyone wants specific footage from last years festival please wait until after the DVD is out, Strugz & co are busy enough editing the full thing to start making cuts for people! Thanks smile

As my internet access is sporadic at best till my pc is up and running, I might not be able to reply to email straight away, if you want to talk to me about anything call me on 07814 018091 and if you don't get an answer LEAVE A VOICEMAIL!

Keep checking the website for the latest information and we'll send out newsletters as often as we can.

hugs & smiles

Dunc hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
kiss

Ditto what Jo said about the litter pickers hug

I picked up a little portable ashtray at the pound shop for (duh) a quid, and make a concious effort to put my dog ends in there, and shoved it other peoples direction when I saw they were about to drop theirs.

Old film cannesters are great too, and if you really dont have anything to put them in just stick em in your pocket, your trousers were probably filthy anyway so whats a little bit of ash in your back pocket going to do?

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
yeah at Glade they gave us little camera film canisters to stick our dog ends in! smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Well I finally got to Net connection after a Stoopid amount of travelling and gigging.
BIG ups to all the Organisers (Dunc, Strugz, Durbs et al), crew and volenteers who made PLAY happen. It seems to be getting better each year - at least for us, hopefully for you also (although I have to say Dunc next year I'd like to officially ban you from the gate - that way you might get to see abit more of your festival!!)
Im afraid I didnt see much of it either, as I was not really in the head space for another festival, after the carnage of Glasters, Glade and others this Summer, aswell as so much travelling and gigging. Ive also been going through some pretty full-on stuff and was a little bashfull.......... apart from when on stage and at Kevs cocktail bar and in my van and.... well maybe bashfull's the wrong word.
Basically my crew SOLAR were supposed to be there and didnt come for various reasons and I felt kinda let down amongst other things...........anyway.
It was great to see, however briefly old friends and crew. especial Hugs to the Fennies (Bastl - I agree with Rob deffinately in the top 5 of my all time favourite acts. People of PLAY you were blessed...generally), Peachy and Cindy (we never really get to hang out enough, well next time at Bristol - yeah like everytime I say that!!!), Kev - you are an absolute star* - although how you afford to keep everyone in cocktails and 'other nice things' I dont know), Laura (was lovely to share a stage with you again, be nice to be more than once a year!!), Steve (respect for doing the Renegade on Saturday night, having to leave a 1am on Sunday morning with little 'rest' the night before, was not conjusive to being in 'Renegade' headspace!!), Rob (Big respect for putting together the shows and all your hard work with back probs), Elaine (shame we didnt get to hang out more) and all others who I know and didnt get to hang out with - it was nothing personal, just my 'stuff'
Anyhow. I had a great time doing the shows and hanging out abit. Really didnt wanna leave at 2am on Sunday morning, but those are the choices I make and I have to abide by them....
Oh and the money was excellent and SOLAR finally did 2 rocking stage shows!!!!
Hope to see as many of you as possible at the Bristol Juggling Convention - much like PLAY only longer - YES!!!!!
Peas, Love, Respect and Radishes
Rob

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

emberwolfnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Aimée

Who pegged my poi?

Hehe, nice job, whoever did it ^^ Never heard of pegging before Play, but a HUGE amount of kudos to whoever tied two pegs together with about a metre of string in the middle and pegged two separate people before the show on Saturday!

I'll no doubt be joining the ranks of the phantom peggers next Play smile

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
 Written by: emberwolf

Hehe, nice job, whoever did it ^^ Never heard of pegging before Play, but a HUGE amount of kudos to whoever tied two pegs together with about a metre of string in the middle and pegged two separate people before the show on Saturday!

One of those people was me! I'd forgotten all about that ubblol

I remember being very tired and grumpy and wasnt in the mood for lots of people behind giggling at me, especially after being re-pegged once I'd taken the sodding thing off.
Threw it in the direction of wherever the string went in the end.
Wasnt impressed!

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Peg!!!!

ROB! You did a great job compereing! Though I guess they succeeded in keeping you from the Renegade!

I forgot to list a High...

BALLOONATIC!!! I was bloody p*ssing myself at that one! Sod the arty person-in-a-balloon performances, this was comedy gold! ubblol

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

TinyPixieSILVER Member
enthusiast
394 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

BALLOONATIC!!! I was bloody p*ssing myself at that one! Sod the arty person-in-a-balloon performances, this was comedy gold! ubblol

I agree! It was amazing! The Britney cover song was particularly inspired...

TastesLikePurpleGOLD Member
addict
498 posts

Posted:
i'm so annoyed i didn't get a video of that! absolute genius!! couldn't stop laughing! ubblol

Thoughts arrive like butterflies...

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
i thought kyle mclean was supposed to perform and i heard he can defy physics, so i kept the last 4 mins on my memory card for him only to find out he missed his flight frown
so i had no vid of the balloonatic or of sebastian's show (if anyone has them PM me)

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

And he's a good kisser, too ubblove ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:

The fuzzy memories are starting to be a little less fuzzy now and I'm slowly piecing things togther and remembering lots of little things that are making me smile loads biggrin

Waking up to find Miss Corinthian in my tent.
Waking up to boys is rubbish compared to that beautiful lady rubbing your back in awakeness land ubblove

Who was I talking to about killer cows? Charging cows or something? Cant figure out if that actually happend or if I made it up confused

Who pegged my poi?

Thanks to all who fed me, made me tea and gave me magical things - Jo I think I saw more of your skinning up materials than you did rolleyes
Major kisses to all kiss hug

The pleasure was all mine sweetcheeks hug

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
again, wit the i have no idea who you are miss... :S

Step (el-nombrie)

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Tall, Blonde, with baby...

BIRGIT!!! eek You hussy!!! ubblol I'm sure the balloons and toothbrushes will come in handy...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Birgit's not the hussy! she was the recipient of Steve's kisses! He was the initiator!!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
How can I not kiss a guy in a rubber suit if he hurts himself with balloons and is looking at me with sad puppy eyes? That would be heartless, Dave!

I'm currently trying to imagine what the balloons and toothbrushes could be handy for. I have a few ideas but I'd like to know what you were thinking.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

TinyPixieSILVER Member
enthusiast
394 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

I'm currently trying to imagine what the balloons and toothbrushes could be handy for. I have a few ideas but I'd like to know what you were thinking.

Really?! You WANT to know what Dave is thinking? You are a Brave woman Birgit smile

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mech

I have a very photogenic face, apparently... but no, the body is not as bad as Baghdad. You placed me now? smile

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Brave? I guess biggrin Or maybe just corrupted! Did you do the hoop workshop, tinypixie?

(G.W. Dahlquist)

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
 Written by: misscorinthian

Written by: mech

I have a very photogenic face, apparently... but no, the body is not as bad as Baghdad. You placed me now? smile

yeah, now you see i was hoping that was not you, or that you had forgotten just how tight i managed to stcik my foot in my mouth.

i am sorry about that comment, it was meant as a joke.

you have amazing eyes, and a fanstic face, and if there is no mr miss corithian in ear shot, you have an outstanding body also honey.

Step (el-nombrie)

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Mech, you're right! Miss Corinthian does have a fantastic face, amazing eyes and an outstanding body hug

Maybe she'll believe me now! biggrin

ubblove pretty lady

psycotic_furbyBRONZE Member
Hehe, you said 'Member'
105 posts

Posted:

Who pegged my poi?

I pegged *someone's* poi... Saturday night? Following round Sym/Peg-beard?

Play rocked my little world, definately coming if there's Play '08! And there were certainly enough poi workshops to keep me busy, thanks to Durbs and Chutney...

Eww, Liza Minelli...

The communists gave my mother a job, teaching sculpture to limbless children.

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:

Who pegged my poi?

it was clairebe who managed to peg your poi, i was rather impressed by that one!

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

LMSPBRONZE Member
veteran
1,588 posts

Posted:
I miss all you guys frown

I'm SOOOOOOO depressed! *Squirts whipped cream directly into mouth*

Didn't read every post (there were like 200 odd new posts) but I tried to speed read.

ditto The big thanks and applause to the organizers and helpers, SORRY to anyone I was overly loud and Welsh at, ubblove to friends old and new and another sorry to people I was loud and Welsh at.

Aimee, you were an awesome balloon buddy, Brit Joe, you were fun to get drunk, Misscorinthian, Your kiddies are so cute, Jo, I did NOT spend enough time with you AGAIN! frown, Mech, hope your arm gets worse. I mean better kiss, Mynci, Blu, Baby lee and Bubbles, ubblove kiss hug and Mags, Love you you fluffy bugger and I can't get that 2p & bottle top off Mynci's jeans! frown <--- See that face? NOT impressed ubblol
Anyone I have not mentioned, YOU ROCK!

Yeah you do. wink

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
 Written by: psycotic_furby

Play rocked my little world, definately coming if there's Play '08! And there were certainly enough poi workshops to keep me busy, thanks to Durbs and Chutney...

if?....it's already in the making... smile

hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
squirty cream...mmmm what a good idea. however there is not time for that - i need to find me some parafin for my shiney new fire poi. they have cheered me up now the post play glow is wearing off! Lizzy heartfire poi

if i could be a busy busy bee...

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
i would like to say that there where quite a few fire spinners i was up there most nights drunk or otherwise and there were loads although can i make a suggestion of getting some old sofas off freecycle or somthing for next years fest there free and fun

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I thought the only problem with the fire area, wasn't the distance, but the fact that it wasn't otherwise part of the site as it were, there were very few points on site where you would notice anyone was spinning, so people didn't think about it or go gather round, when I've seen fire areas work brilliantly they've been safely off to one side, but were stil la very prominent feature, and you would notice even one spinner anywhere in them, from anywhere else on the site.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
ohohoh

one thig i have to say, the only thing wrong at the whole event.

SHOWERS!!!! pleasepleaseplease

im getting old and starting to apreciate the blast of a cold shower in the morning of a juggling convention.

other than that can you make the people who go a bit less nice?

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dunc

if?....it's already in the making... smile

hug

..But the shop says I can't buy tickets and I'll have to pay on the door wink

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Pull a Star Wars fan and start camping for tickets... smile

I agree with Yakumo about the positioning of the firespinning area. Whereas last year even though it was further away, you could still see if from the other end of the field. This year because of the positioning of the marquee, it almost felt like a dark dirty hidden secret that only those dark or dirty enough will seek out.

Page: ......