PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I had the chance when I was in fifth grade to use them when my friend foreign exchange student dressed me in traditional garb, and I never thought about until I recently pulled out the photo's. Since I do alot of music stuff with Ren Faires, I was wondering if someone could tell me how to make them?THanks in advance------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
perhaps a short description Pele?Josh

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Are Rhythm poi not the short Maori poi that you hit all over your body?------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
That would be them Kat...which is about all the description I can give Josh. They are really short, and while a bit hard they are not harmfully hard. That is all I really remember of them, excpet that they looked like they were wrapped inplastic, but that could've been to keep my grubby 9 year old prints from them! grinThere is a proper word for them...forget what it is though.Thanks guys....------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Hi PeleThere was a discussion about this a while back and I posted some web pages that would be useful for making poi including:https://www.geocities.com/jshorten_934/nz/poi.htmwhich shows how to make temari poi with a little about short poi and how to make them.Basically they are just bag poi with shorter strings and you hold them by a knot and not a handle.Rhythm poi is so beautiful.There is a Maori girl Kareen in our prefecture who showed me how to do a simple song and dance (forgotton the words though). She was amazing though. If you do want more information on this let me know and I will give you Kareen's contact details. She is an incredible girl and is really excited that people are so interested in poi.Also, the book Malcom sells on this site is meant to be an excellent source of info.Hope that helpsKat------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Oh and by the wayI'm sure that peeps weren't worried about Grubby hands. Kareen had a huge bag of short poi and most of hers were just ordinary ball poi although she had nice coloured wool strings ending in a knot with tassles on the end.She acalls these short poi and the poi for twirling,long poi. If there is another name I don't know it afraid.

- W B Yeats