Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Common Ground '07, Adelaide - SOLD OUT!!!

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
~*~ COMMON GROUND 2007 TEASER ~*~

!!!!!!!!!*********COMMON GROUND SITE IS UPDATED*********!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.common-ground.net

we will be updating it progressively as we confirm / think of stuff closer to the date.

------------------

Greetings to all you fine, dandy, spangley and sparkly people!!

Just putting the word out…..

Common Ground is an Annual object manipulation and lifestyle meeting held from Friday the 5th of October to Monday the 8th of October. It's aimed specifically at people who want to relax, have fun, share and learn in a positive and supportive environment.

Set in the picturesque Adelaide Hills, the location has ample room for camping, workshops and more.

Mainly focussing on (but by no means limited to) Twirling, Dance, Music and Circus related skills. Workshops cover a very wide range of different interests and skill levels. From complete novice to professional performer, we think we have something for you.

Core to the concept is participation. The event is created by those who attend sharing their skills and experiences with others - to borrow a phrase thrown around at Burning Man:

"No Spectators, only Participants."

Although, if doing every workshop isn’t you style - just chill out and contribute to the relaxed, happy atmosphere.

Confirmed Dates:

Friday 5th October

Saturday 6th October

Sunday 7th October

Monday 8th October

The dates are a week later this year giving the crew time to be completely set up and running by the time people arrive Friday morning.

Friday – arrive anytime, gates will be open at 8am. Workshops start in the afternoon.

Saturday – **Show**

Sunday – TBA

Monday – workshops and offsite by after lunch.

We have already had some reservations on workshops these include:

Yoga

Drumming

Learn how to DJ

Yogaeria

TICKETS – Limited to 150!! And yes they will sell out!

Early bird - $30 booking before August 31st

Just missed the worm - $40 September 1st – October 4th

Missed the boat - $50 on the door if there are any remaining - there weren't last year

Please email if you would like an EB ticket – go on be the first you know you want too!

IDEAS: for workshops and contributions most welcome.

As in 2005 and 2006 – there will always be smiles, fun, madness, music, dancing and laughing.

Stay tuned for future updates.

Cheers,

Kate and the Common Ground Crew

common-ground2006@hotmail.com

EDITED_BY: Katinca (1191027645)

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I want to make it this year...I really don't know what's going on with Uni though and if I'll have exams...I'll find out soon though

First year it was my 18th birthday during CG!
This year it will be my 20th! eek

I hope I can come!
I've missed everyone heaps

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
hehe it would be great to see you Roar smile

Also - anyone is welcome to DJ (I counted you among the 'top chill lineup' earlier mentioned Gabe! smile) but you must bring your own headphones, and also make every attempt to fit in with the suggested flow - ie if you want to play trance, you play later in the day. etc. This will all become clearer when we redo the site.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
yes, i hope that non psy/non prog djs get a fair chance.
poor UCOF got booted last year after playing about half hour of eclectic music, after waiting patiently for me to finish mostly 4/4 beats tunes...!

been collecting tasty slow beats all summer to share with u guys.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
I think its a bit unfair that you seem to be suggesting that there was discrimination against 'non-psy' music at CG. While I'm the first to admit I love psy, I also love non-psy styles.

The reason why I think you may have noticed a lot of psy played is that:

1) The guys that own the rig and brought it down love psy and played psy sets on it - fair enough I think - they do provide the rig free.

2) during the day when most people didnt want to play a set, Biggins did an awesome job of playing epic psy sets (psy btw is what Biggins likes to play, we didnt twist his arm).

3) Most of the DJs wanted to play on the big rig and didn't take the opportunity to play on the little one, when I'm sure Biggins would have been happy to have had someone play for a few hours to break up his 8+ hour sets.

I didnt actually play at all, I gave up my set on the big rig so that we could accommodate some of the late editions to the lineup, that would include you, Bender and UCOF.

The DJ set times on the festival day were agreed and up on the site several weeks before CG.

sorry Bender, but it seems to me that you think we were somehow preventing non-psy, when really people were just playing what they wanted to play.

That said - I certainly WILL prevent some psy and non psy if people try to break it out. I personally find sexist violent gansta rap offensive, some mashups involving simply wrong material eg rape, paedophilia offensive, and most heavy metal offensive. Additionally I think that psy that contains obvious drug references is not appropriate either. If you think this is unreasonable lets talk about why you think that limiting the music to tunes that make people generally feel good or relaxed is wrong.

ugh - I hate to be confrontational like that, but I couldnt let that one go, and also - I think people need to know where Kate and I stand on this issue.

We believe that music is incredibly important and has a big impact on the vibe of the weekend. We want everyone to be happy, but we can't be radio DJs playing requests all weekend. If you want to hear a given style of music bring it along, with your headphones, and I'll teach you how to use my decks, and you can play a good long set of whatever you want - as long as its not offensive (as defined by us smile).

as I said last year, Id love to hear more sets of;

-world
-vocal
-ambient
-classical
-dub
-electro
-techno
-hiphop
-breaks
-bolywood
-accoustic
-experimental

and stuff I've not ever heard before ++++!!!!!

You played a great set last year Bender, I can remember it. smile

I'm really looking forward to your set this year.

Josh

--

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
monkey magic theme ubblol ... but i like obvious drug referances... hmm...

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pyrolific

If you want to hear a given style of music bring it along, with your headphones, and I'll teach you how to use my decks, and you can play a good long set of whatever you want - as long as its not offensive (as defined by us smile).

ooooooo does that mean i bring some 80s stuffs mmmmm 80s biggrin

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
yeah course you can play 80s smile

sounds like an excellent daytime happy set.

I'll run a how to use Josh's decks workshop on the friday night for anyone who may be unsure of how to mix n stuff.

Remember tho - if you want to DJ you cant just plug in your mp3 player and leave it on shuffle - you need to actually DJ (ie be there! smile)

Josh

--

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Are you talking 80s and in the kind of stuff i'm going to hear on the radio, or more doof? just from the 80s? cos if its the former then ill say "whee!"

oh, and why cant people just leave ipods on shuffle? It gives the same purpose. it creates music. i dont think its fair to people who dont have the gear. not that i want to play anything im far to shy have people listen to my music, but maybe other people might.
EDITED_BY: Rouge Dragon (1174260636)

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

693 posts

Posted:
Rouge, there will be other places that people can put on a CD/plug in an iPOD and listen to their tunes while they twirl etc, but the main system is for people who want to use the decks - and thats a number of people.

I personally don't think it's fair if one person goes and plugs in their iPOD and then goes off to spin - for one the music equipment is expensive and needs a supervisor at all times and another thing is there would be a number of other people who would really want a chance at using the decks and not even get the chance because this person is off *not using* the Dj equipment.

So that's why we have the rule of if you want to use the Dj decks you gotta use the decks or your computer and you HAVE to be there. Welcome to the world of the DJ - it's nice you get to hear your tunes but it comes with responsibilities too.

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
A question regarding the saturday night performance.

If we want particular music tracks for our segments, who should we give them to? and on what medium should they be on?

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pyrolific

(but not offensively so - leave the Slayer in the box Biggins wink).

*sulks*......

as far as the soundtracks for the show. i'd be willing to be "sound bloke" again BUT would be happier if we can have longer to get things sorted whilst setting up. maybe even a sound check of some description? Especially if the show is on the saturday. if ppl want to bring choons then CDs in ".wav" format would be better (personal preference) but i obviously wouldn't not play music from other sources. the power cords on laptops is important though.....

ubbidea hmmm....no metal hey?? wanders of to find gabba records ubbidea

ubblol ubblol ubblol

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
oh yeh....(assuming that i am allowed to do the show) bear in mind a couple of things.

come find me as soon as you can iwtrh your music, i'll be wandering around the site (look for the dreads & coopers ale bottle) as i'd like to be able to have a quick listen to the music before the show.

if you are gonna want music then please remember that most of my cds are of electronic music (and a fairly narrow genre with in that category) so it probably pays to bring your own trax.

it would help if you know (approximately) how long your fire sets are).

....oh....and organisers, no last minute line up changes in the show as this leads to confusion and slight embarrassment......and lets face it, it doesnt take much to confuse me tongue
EDITED_BY: biggins (1174268347)

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
The song in mind is an MP3, but I can make it into a CD audio track if that would be more agreeable to Mr. Biggins smile

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
80s and Bollywood. My life is complete

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
Hmmm.... *imagines a fusion of Buddha Bar, Kitaro and Axion of Choice amongst other new agey and worldly stuff smile *

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brenn

The song in mind is an MP3, but I can make it into a CD audio track if that would be more agreeable to Mr. Biggins smile

*again assuming that i'm doing the show*

its entirely up to you mate. however, and i'm not sure how josh feels about this BUT if lots of ppl have mp3 players/laptops and they have to be swapped over during the show then that could get very confusing. It may also cause mid-show signal problems across the sound system as you unplug power sources, swap players etc etc.... there would be potential problems as i have very little experience with mp3 players and other ppls laptops and navigating around pplsystems in the dark could be tricky.

hmmm.....thinking about it, seems wasteful to burn a whole CD for one or two tracks. a solution would be to say "performers, i need your trax (in whatever format) by "this time"*" then i can collate and compile onto one CD, one laptop.

then you would also havea ready made CG2007 soundtrack to have online, to share etc etc.....

*looks to josh for opinions*

ps: if ppl do burn their own CDs (and this goes for ppl making up CDs to play out to), your CDs must be in .wav format and the should be **at least** 192kbps, ideally 256 or 320 and the mp3s must be normalised as well when you burn them.

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
 Written by: biggins

(look for the dreads & coopers ale bottle)

admittedly at Common Ground thats could describe any number of people... wink

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
hahaha...its true...if you look for the sunburned dready person with a coopers bottle maybe you'll have more luck

tongue

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Gnor

80s and Bollywood. My life is complete

ubblol i'm with you gnor! yay bollywood! biggrin bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2

ubblol

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dentrassi

(look for the dreads & coopers ale bottle)

admittedly at Common Ground thats could describe any number of people... wink

Excepy you ED...

and Lex..needs to be a strongbow

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

693 posts

Posted:
Lex may not be coming *dan dan daaaaaaaan......*

We may need communial harassment on that one.

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
Im trying to get my sister to play a bolywood vs SE-asian pop set. She's got some interesting choons! smile

In addition to what Kate said;

Rougie - all you need is a set of headphones! If you have an Ipod then you have headphones! and some CDs! The reason why I would like people to DJ is it encourages them to be selective with their choices - if you stick an mp3 player on shuffle, well you wont be being very selective - and thus we will probly end up listening to loads of tracks that arent even YOUR favourites. Its the nature of mp-freeness that people tend to collect reams and reams of rubbish music - that they wouldnt pay money for in a fit! smile

Also - if you'd rather be out playing in the field, then you should be doing that! smile to Dj you have to really WANT to play your choons to people - and you give up dancefloor time for that. Plenty of times during sets I've played I've wanted to be out on the dancefloor listening to my favourite tunes, but playing them to other people took precendence! smile

One more thing - mp3s can be really really dodgy sound quality - and vary a lot depending on how much the person that encoded them cared about the music ie it takes much more care and more time to encode them at higher bitrate and variable bitrate than it does to just whack a whole abba album on the net encoded at 128 (which is noticeably lower quality than cd).

As you can see, there are a lot of reasons why we dont want just 'radio playing in the background'. In fact, if it were that kind of party, then...well, it would be being put on by people who dont really care about music (ie not Kate, me, Biggins, marty, serena or anyone else that has taken a major role in making CG happen in the past).

I dont think its too much to ask that if you want to play your music at 150 people you should at least be there making sure its the best tunes you have.

Perhaps you were thinking about wiping your iPod and only putting Mp3s on it for your set? well that would in theory be ok - but wouldnt address the issues that Kate raised, and also - I think its likely that if we open it up to the ipod shufflers we will be listening to music that simply isnt good (or even sufficiently cheesy) in any way, cuz every man and his dog has an mp3 player filled with some good tracks, and many they may not have heard, or even like.

--

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
yep Biggins, I think the billions of mp3 players on a table in the dark is a recipe for disaster (as is anything else that's battery powered in a show).

What we will do is set up a playlist on a laptop with people's choice of tunes, which you can then mix with Biggins.

Also - we should have 2 rigs - so we will be able to set up and sound test the show rig during the day this time!! smile (anyone who was around for the hardcore effort required to get the show ready last time would attest to it being much nicer if it were all doable in the day) smile

--

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:

the power cords on laptops is important though.....

spank self spank selfspank selfspank selfspank selfspank selfspank selfspank selfspank selfspank selfspank selfspank self

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hmm, just wondering josh, whats a good bitrate for djing?

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
This semester I have Mondays and Tuesdays off, if the timetable stays like that next semester then count me in...

Or if it doesn't and I have class on the Monday...then count me in anyway wink

ubbrollsmile

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pineapple pete

hmm, just wondering josh, whats a good bitrate for djing?

hug

He mentioned above that 192 or higher is preferable, I believe smile

hug

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
I cant pick the difference with bitrate = 320 but I certainly can at 128. I think bigger is better, but bigger than 320 is a waste IMHO and CD is best :waits for the vinyl bashers to decend on him: smile
EDITED_BY: Pyrolific (1174309250)

--

bigginsSILVER Member
165 posts

Posted:
hmm.....i just wrote a long "anti-mp3" answer then trashed it cos it was boring and geeky but personally i would say at least 192 kbps.

oner laptop wityh all the tracks = good
two sound systems also = good

are you having drummers? if so.....well you know.... wink

Wielding a Wooden Spoon

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
drumming as backing for the show will depend largely on the drummers that show up - I wont be pushing for it this year however, it needs to be something that flows, and will only occur if there is a cohesive drum crew smile

PS - mp3 vs cd vs vinyl is an argument best left to the appropriate forum(s) hey Biggins tongue

I think I've seen that one about a billion times (no really!) on

-oztrance

-australiens

-tranceadelaide

-psyforum

-isratrance

I bet youve seen it on all these and more. smile

probs dont need it here...yet! wink
EDITED_BY: Pyrolific (1174342699)

--

Page: ...