Forums > Technical Discussion > A question on staff twirling.

Login/Join to Participate

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Yep, I admit it; in fact, I'll scream it from the rooftops… “I'm a newbie!” biggrin But I thought that it would be better to embarrass myself and ask reasonably silly questions, than to never learn at all.

I am not new to spinning poi. Whilst I am not exactly an expert I’d say I am doing pretty well with them. tongue But what I really want to learn is the staff.

Now, I did a few searches on these boards, and I discovered quite a few interesting threads. But my silly newbie questions are still not satisfied. biggrin So I am harassing you HoPers and hoping for some kind answers. smile

I've heard that a good staff height is your chin, or shoulder level. I have been practicing with three different "staffs"

1. A large just-above-eye-level bamboo cane. (Incredibly light, great for finger twirling!)

2. A short, hollow, light metal pole which comes up just below my chest.

3. A slightly heavier (but still very light) chest-level staff.

And I feel I am coming up to the point where I long for a bigger, heavier staff. For every guy likes to feel a big heavy-duty stick in between his hands… sorry, innuendoes aside; I’d like a staff with more momentum!

I noticed that these bigger staffs are a fair bit of money. But what I want is nice, durable stave, which also isn't too hard to carry around; as I tend to practice wherever I get a chance... be it at college, in the middle of a field, or in the street.

Anyway, long story short.

I have my eyes drawn to these three staffs here on HoP.

https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/247_30_HardAnnodised

https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/257_30_Inner_fire

https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/246_30

Being a newbie, I am not so sure on which would be best for me. I am looking at the three-piece contact staff as it seems easy to transport - which is really what I want. But it is £50, and I don't know how sturdy a collapsible staff is… although the reviews are positive. Then again, I suppose I don’t really mind looking like a burk and wandering around with a large uncollapsible staff in my hands all day.

I am 17, about 5'4/5'5. So I am guessing a staff around 1400mm is what I am looking for? (Which is just below my chin.)

Tell me what you think about the staffs, how much you think I should spend, and if I miscalculated the height/length. tongue As for my “skills” I can do the basic stuff such as the Rotors/Helicopter, Rotors behind the back, passing behind the back, passes, 360’s rotors, Figure Eights in various places, the Can-Can, One-Beats, and small throws with two or three flips, and a trick I made up – but I am sure there is a name for it already… basically the stuff in Meg’s staff-beginner thread… other than the pinwheel, which I am slowly getting the hang of.

I won’t be buying this immediately; I'll still be playing around with my lightweight make-shift staffs for a short while. But I'd just like to know. biggrin

Thanks HoPers!

hug

Edit:

Mastered the pinwheel now. smile

Can anyone answer these questions? Is a three-piece staff prone to becoming wobbly after several uses? Is it unevenly balanced? Is it not worth the easy-transportation ability? Would I be better off getting a sturdy one-piece contact staff?

EDITED_BY: McAlpine (1170521595)

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
I prefer my I/C 3 piece, it's great for transporting around and as I get around quite a bit, that's great for me. It's still sturdy and is evenly balanced. But that aside, I did get a regular staff first to practise with

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Thanks very much for the reply Simon. biggrin

So your 3-piece has remained sturdy throughout use; that's good to know, I was worried that after a while it would begin to wobble and not hold together properly.

I really want a staff for easy transport, but maybe I'll do what you did and get a regular staff to practice with. I'll have to get use to the change in weight and momentum as I am use to twirling very light objects. Then maybe after I become more of an intermediate I'll buy a 3-piece.

Alright, thanks for the answer. smile
EDITED_BY: McAlpine (1170593673)

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
i personally dislike staffs that break down into peices,they rattle when twirled and break easily,if you plan to do fast twirling or throws i would leave them out,i know they are convienient but ive never seen a good one yet,
as for the length of your staff the longer and heavier it is the less tricks are available to you((unless you want to do contact staff,in which case long fat and heavy staffs are perfect))

however having said all that,its the twirler that makes the staff not the staff that makes the twirler so most importantly go with what you feel most comfortable with.................

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
section staff - not for me, thanx - for the same reasons tim was mentioning...

Other than that my formula goes not in average height, but lentgh of arms (depending on what I intend to do with it).

If the staff itself is MORE than double the length of my arm - I will not be able to do some nice tricks. If it is too long, it will also hit the ground if I do some low spinning.

My advice: take a wooden stick and test it until you find the proper length.... shrug hope that helps

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all the replies gang. wink
I'll continue practing with this bamboo cane until I can find a stick which is shorter, but still longer than that metal pole I have.
Then I'll most likely by a one-piece staff.

Maybe when I get better I'll take a 3-piece. biggrin
Thanks for the feedback!

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
good luck and enjoy