Forums > Social Chat > What shall i make a film about next?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
About a year ago i made a mini documentary on spinning as part of my degree which some of you might have seen on the bbc website.

Now ive graduated and have been trying to make my way in the big wide world of tv and film and have found a company that want to use my spin film as the first of a 4 part mini documentary series on channel 4 (shh dont tell the bbc) and they want me to make them.

Obviously im dead chuffed about this but i have a problem, what am i gonna make the other 3 films about? Im gonna do one on kite boarding and one on capoera (assuming i get the commision) but im having trouble thinking of the subject of the last one. I was gonna do something on free running, but channel 4 already did jump London and jump Britain so thats already been covered. I also thought break dancing but thats also kinda old news now too.

So... any ideas? it needs to be urban and fresh (god im starting to sound like one of those buzz word producers already) and relevant to Britain.
Any sugestions will be greatly apreciated.

"Don't do it naked!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Let me outline my interests:

XMA!
Xtreme Martial Arts! (flips and tricks! yay!)

Stuntmen

channel 4 didn't do parkour very well. There's a lot more there that you could do, on method natural and the real hardcore traceurs in britain. (as well as the big ideology fights in parkour)

buildering! Yeah! The night climbers of cambridge, all over again!

urban exploration.

non-spinning circus arts... aerial, and all that...

otherwise... confused

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
ubbidea
I've got to go out now but I'll send you a message when I get back dude.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Trickin! hell yea meg thats great biggrin Liking the urban climbers too. I like the idea of non spinny circus stuff but i dont think Channel 4 will go for it cos its not urban enough.
Fantastic ideas tho thanks kiss

Is urban exploration urban climbing?

"Don't do it naked!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
urban exploration is more like finding your way into abandoned buildings / catacombs / bunkers / tunnels (subway or otherwise) just to see what's in there... take pictures etc...

kinda like illegal tourism. in your home city. biggrin

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Whether or not something is 'Old News' doesn't mean you don't have your own spin on the subject.

If you wanted to make a documentary about Breakdancing, you still can! You can talk about the (now distant) origins and how it has evolved in its modern context - Your 'Spinnero...' er sorry... 'Twister' move as an example...

Failing that here's a brief - 'Hippies - Why?'

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
not urban enough? Tosh, is what i say.

you can talk about how jugglers have evolved and are now using urban arts to compliment their juggling. For example, the many people that think about body movements instead of 'big trick big trick' EG, contact and popping/illusion juggling, street performing

breakin', popping and locking are coming back, you know...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

Whether or not something is 'Old News' doesn't mean you don't have your own spin on the subject.

I totally agree but at this stage im writing the proposal to channel 4 so im trying to get stuff that has never been covered before. If i get the commission then maybe i can start putting my own spin on stuff in the future but at the moment im pretty much lower than the snakes bollox so i need to attract attention to myself.

Ed: im liking the contact body popping idea but you arnt in the country so who would i base the film around? Durbs i guess but he smells of poo

jon: what are flashmobs? graph artists that do it naked?

"Don't do it naked!"

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
You don't necessarily need to base the film about contact and popping. psssh, a Docu about me? even I'd turn it off after 30 seconds. probably even before that. I'd rather the film was based around a group of people, than just one or two individuals.

More about Jugglers using ideas and concepts and even moves from Dance in their juggling. There's loads of people in the country that do care about how their performances look. How the world of juggling is changing, from people that cared only about what stupidly hard tricks they could do in order to get recognition, to people that have realised that it's all in the presentation.

plus, you don't need to be in the same country as somebody to talk to them, and even get footage of them doing what they do, as I'm proving here.

Even Clowning is studied in depth in circus school, and many people think it's all about slapstick comedy. There's a whole lot of thought and work that goes into becoming a good clown, more so than just being able to fall over and wear a silly nose.

Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Be Water My Friend.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Nowadays the juggling scene is comprising more and more of younger people, who, whilst enjoy juggling, also want to look cool, and are adapting juggling (as an old old artform) and bringing it into the new millennium.

Be Water My Friend.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Do a documentar about tea. I like Tea. ubbloco

Be Water My Friend.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Well done Sandy.... clap

Nice work on the project, and I'm looking forward to seeing it...

That footage I saw last weekend was fantastic smile

Getting to the other side smile

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Yea i like the urban exploration idea too, although since its technically illegal i think C4 might have a problem with it.

I like all the juggling and circus stuff but ive just had an email from the company im working with with a big no no on any more circus stuff cos they recon its too obivous.

"Don't do it naked!"

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Thanks clare hug i hope you feel special there are very few people who get to see that footage before its ready. Of course if Strugz wasnt so much of a slacker there would have been more wink

"Don't do it naked!"

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

Yep, I feel special. Hurrah! At last ubblol

Strugz/slack... pretty much one and the same thing.

How about something music based?

You've got something with a cultural slant (capoeira), something new (spinning), something extreme (kite-surfing)...

Something artistic - either musical or alternative art based, might fit well.

smile

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
im trying to go with phisical stuff because its easier to get good 'action' footage although now i think about it maybe some kind of phisical theatre that work with a band or something. hmmmmm

"Don't do it naked!"

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
orkestra del sol wink

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
How about a documentary about breakdancing strippers?

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
contact improv!

or contact dance as it's also known.

plus it has contact in it!

WIN!

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Ill let you know when the guy gets back to me about what we should submit. Loads of ideas here people, i cant thank you enough grouphug

"Don't do it naked!"

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Meg beat me to it!

I was going to suggest urban climbing. There's a guy called Johnny Dawes who is widely credited as being one of the most talented British climbers ever. He's mainly known for his efforts on rocks but he had a whole host of photo's of urban climbing. He has scaled nelsons column twice during protests to unveil banners. I think he'd probably know just about everyone you could possibly want to speak to as well.
His website is https://www.johnnydawes.com

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
pavement art:

Non-Https Image Link

this guy rocks: https://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/pave.htm

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
If you were going to do street art you'd have to track down banksy!

That man is a genious!!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
breakdancing strippers dammit!!!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
How about a topic that should be on everyone's minds at the moment - zombies.

To be honest, I'm surprised no-one's suggested it already wink

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

Nice one Rory... hug2

But I reckon Meg's completely right with Contact Dance... with music supplied by Orkestra del Sol biggrin

Good luck Sandy, let us know how it goes
x

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Bov, Zombies are good.

But are they really as good as breakdancing strippers? hmm?

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Breakdancing Zombies. Stripping optional.

for the win.

wink

Be Water My Friend.

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bluecat

pavement art:

[Insert incredibly large picture here]

this guy rocks: https://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/pave.htm

Holy hell that's awesome!!!

I hope lots of people deliberately avoid walking on it in fear of falling in. biggrin

I say do a documentary on Irish Folklore!

Alright... a documentary on the increase in criminal activity since the invention of Powerisers.Then you should rob a small corner shop and flee on your super jumping stilts and hop atop the rooftops with a huge swag bag swung over your shoulder!

Or you should do a documentary on Dadaism – a huge art movement, which was basically zany anti-art.

Ah hell, just do the break-dancing zombie strippers. umm hehe
EDITED_BY: McAlpine (1170362650)

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i don't know if it's documentary worthy, but geocaching or letterboxing...fun for the whole family...technology (gps) in geocaching...potential issues with geocaching or letterboxing, like what happened in Boston with the bomb scare...it could be fun

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Seye

If you were going to do street art you'd have to track down banksy!

That man is a genious!!

Well, Sandy does lives in the right city for that!

Gayle.....!

Page: