KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Hey,

I'm trying to price the following tickets:
Praha -> Krakow
Krakow -> Budapest
Praha -> Budapest

I can't make any sense of the eastern european rail networks. I'm going travelling around there over eastern vacation, and I just can't figure out how to deal with trains.... redface any help would be greatly appreciated.

<-- silly american ubblol hug

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
This website The man in Seat 61has a lot of info from what seems to be a traveller's perspective

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
It may be easier to get a rail pass covering those countries, e.g. Rail Connection list most of the available passes. The European East Pass sounds like it might suit you, depending on whether or not all of your travel will be within one month. Or if you choose their Rail Saver option from the menu on the left, they'll calculate an itinerary for you.

Hope that helps!

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Helen's idea is good, but probably not worth it in eastern europe unless you are on the train everyday, as the train tickets are cheap and exchange rates favourable! Your best bet is to just buy at the train station before you go, if you're under 26, they usually give you a discount if you show them your passport, and 2nd class tickets are cheaper also, but you usually don't have to ask for that, they give them as default, as the majority of trains aren't that posh... International tickets i.e. cross border are more expensive, and although i don't know precisely the prices on the routes you're taking, it should be pretty cheap. I think zilina in slovakia to krakow cost me around 600Sk (5 hours) which is about 15 euros. In Hungary, Budapest to Slovenia cost me about 6000 forints... which is just over 20 euros. Krakow to Warszawa in Poland was 81 Zlotych or 20 euros... so it really depends on country, but overall i think you'd still spend less than a rail pass costs especially if you're travelling longer than the pass or going through countries it doesn't cover. Depends on your starting location too, Czech Rep. is more expensive than the others followed by prob. Poland, then Hungary...

for train times, check www.bahn.de there is an english section and the timetables cover most of Europe, plus gives you details about changes etc. doesn't have prices for trains outside of germany, but you can usually find the local train service operators, then look up their sites, a few have them translated versions.

Czech train website in english

make sure you type in local spelling eg. praha not prague. and if you look at details it will tell you distance. Pretty much all the prices are set by no. of km. so you should be able to work out an approximate price.

hope that helps a bit smile
EDITED_BY: NOn (1170678851)

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

This website The man in Seat 61has a lot of info from what seems to be a traveller's perspective

That site is amaaaaazing!! i just did a google search for something different and it came up so i had a look through, most stuff is travelling from europe, but it has practically every piece of information you could possibly want down to what time the train leaves... bounce It needs to go as a link in the flying discussion post big time... smile

good find newgabe!

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.