Peace_Pipernewbie
7 posts

Posted:
Hi, I'm interested in busking with poi, as I intend to travel with as little money as possible and will need to survive. I've never busked before, is it stupid to jump straight into it? Any first time advice? What sort of places should I head to?
Does anyone else here busk with poi or anything else? Any interesting experiences/tales?

Affluenza, n. a painful, contagious, socially transmitted condition of overload, debt, anxiety and waste resulting from the dogged pursuit of more.

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
it's well hard. You think you can just pick up a few quid busking but if you stand around with a hat and do poi you'll make basically nothing. You need a show...some banter...you need to present a personality.

You also need some structure...crowd building section....money line...finale.

It's harder than you might think. I made a bit here and there busking but not much. Best was 40 Euro in Paris but that was with a friend and we hit about 8 bars. Juggling (or poi) is very good when traveling though because it makes you more approachable and people have something to connect to. I met some good people who helped me along with accommodation and by juggling.

"You're first hundred shows will suck" according to Bob from Canada
EDITED_BY: Mascot (1170294604)

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
yeah mascot explained it pretty well. you really need a fair about of practice to make any money from busking. if you can play music you'd probably make more money using that than poi.

i think if you tried doing a [Old link] you might find a lot of previously said stories about busking. smile

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Yep, it sure is hard work.

In my experience, poi earns nothing. Contact Juggling on the other hand... wink

you need something that will catch people's eye. and keep them there. Simply spinning socks just won't cut it, IMO. Also, a good thing is to play to people's curiosity, if you want to get paid. That's why these Statue's keep doing what they do. Even though most normal people hate them.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOF9HUVvijo

*note the drum and bass tunes he's playing along to and the ammunt of people dancing to it

this bloke rakes it in whan he's busking mate, why?

because he's localy know, he's got a gimmik and he's bloody good at what he dose ubblol (he prouces his own music and stuff )

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
biggrin[Old link] biggrin

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Peace_Pipernewbie
7 posts

Posted:
Thanks people, just the advice I needed! smile especially your thread GothFrogette biggrin

Travelling seems to be delayed until the snow passes, maybe I'll get some poi practice in my town center to see how people react. Thanks again smile

Affluenza, n. a painful, contagious, socially transmitted condition of overload, debt, anxiety and waste resulting from the dogged pursuit of more.

ghanimathat 'airy sod from down there//../
181 posts

Posted:
drums. you need drums. one or two hand drums will draw people in as they leave their boozers so you can dazzle them with your amazing skills.

it is tough though, sometimes you'll make peanuts but other times it really pays off.....i busked 3nights in a row for a few hours each evening over the christmas period and made about 50/60squid a night....just gotta catch the idiots when theyre pissed i say.....fun fun./...

hope it all goes well!!