Forums > Technical Discussion > 25mm rope for snakes vs. braided 12,5mm

Login/Join to Participate

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
Hey

I couldn't find an old thread on the topic that would answer my question.

I'm making firesnakes and want to know if the 25mm rope is good for them. I kinda like the shape of the flame better when it's just a straight piece of rope. So does anyone have experiences on this..? Does the 25mm rope burn nicely for 2-3 mins or would some kind of braided design from smaller rope be better?

I just want to hear some opinions on this before making an order..

Thanks!

Point your toes.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Hey dude

Pesonnaly ive used both.... i find the 25mm rope easy to construct and maintain. although the weight of them is not as nice smile

12.5mm rope twisted one way and then twisted togethe so it locks on itself IMO makes the best ropes - because the knot you tie on the end gives a great wieght. smile

Basically way up the time you want to spend making and the cost mate.

12.5mm you will need double the lenght and more time to build.

25mm half the length and not time at all.

Burn time is about the same.

I must say tho that my tied 12.5mm ropes have lasted longer and feel more robust.

Hope some of it helps - post us some pix when youve made them dude it will be interesting to see how you go about it. smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey Antti wave

Hope you're well mister... hug2

I'd go with the twisted rope option... it's a much easier weight.

One single rope seems to go a bit floppy at the end, but two twisted around each other feels more secure and straight.

See you somewhere x

Getting to the other side smile

addict
446 posts

Posted:
Whoo.. quick answers.. Thanks!

A good point about the two twisted around each other remaining more straight while spinning. Arh.. I dont know.. The 25mm would give more of the nice blue flames in the end of the burn right?

And yes I hope we´ll get to meet up somewhere this year! Either Play or EJC I guess.

Point your toes.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hope so smile

Would be good to see you again...

You still get the blue flame with the twisted ropes - spin fast at the end... especially at the knot...

But the weight thing makes a huge difference... especially with stalls (one of the best things to do with ropes)

PS: just watched your vid with julien in the cave again ubblove smile
EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1170245532)

addict
446 posts

Posted:
Spin fast..? Like there's any other way than fast.. Stalls? 3 beat weaves all the way!

Fortunately these snakes aren't for me. You couldn't handle it.

Point your toes.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Faster, faster, less control...

You can do poi.

I know this for a fact tongue

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
I'm going to make some snakes soon, so this is interesting. presumably the twisted ones are where you take a length of rope and twist the ends opposite ways? What sort of knot do you use on the loose ends? Any other ideas for twisted (or even plaited??) designs? I was tending towards 25mm rope knotted both ends (trying to avoid loop-type handles on these so I can do throws etc more easily). Any ideas on how I could do this with a twisted 12.5mm arrangement would be good though as this arrangement appeals for some reason. Some pictures would also be helpful if anyone has any.

Cheers

Motley

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Oh yes, and how much (ish) rope would it take to make to make a pair of 12.5mm twisted or a straight 25mm set knotted at both ends? i've made the mistake in the past of ordering far too short a length of rope redface

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
clap yay for weight at snake's end wink (prefer to call those little biters that). Knots do, so do it those little...

... confused ah - another language barrier... ubbidea

Non-Https Image Link

(3 string) braided snakes might give you a slightly brighter flame, as more air is getting to the point..
errm, 3 strings.. g-strings? umm corrupted mind of mine (shhh)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
I was trying to avoid having any sort of metal in my designs, or at least keep it to an absolute minimum.

can you elaborate on your g string ubblol idea?

+:+:+SparklesGOLD Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
My favorite design is straight rope double folded in itself, with a knot at the handle to keep the inner core of the kevlar rope from slipping out of the outer sleeve with multiple use. I've made a huge set of knotted snakes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IWm6WgVS6g), however, they are just that, HUGE. Everything is big about them, except for the hardware. If you want speed, double up on straight ropes. If you want massive fire that makes people that have never seen firedancing before scream, knot yourself up a pair of thick ropes as long as you can make them smile