Page:
FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
1.st Indian Fire Gathering happens in Goa 2008

(*pls check this IP frequently, as it'll be constantly updated)

Non-Https Image Link

- PM or call me @ +91 9922 468 101

Volunteers:

Anyone willing to devote time to the project? welcome

Happy new year hug

Namaste-ji

PS: location images

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Please grant me pardon on a set of rules:

- Firebreathing will not be permitted, nor tolerated anywhere on the premises.

- Heavy intoxication will not be welcomed

We might have local children attending on Wednesday - definitely during these times we will kindly ask anyone using recreational drugs to leave the premises and not come back.

EDITED_BY: FireTom (1201933409)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
bounce ubbrollsmile bounce

Due to Arambol carneval on Feb 4th I consider to postpone the event by one day, meaning that it would take place Feb 5th to 9th... [sigh] shrug wink

ramdassBRONZE Member
32 posts

Posted:
hey people,

i will be in goa the day after tomorow ubbrollsmile
am looking forward to the warmth, the beaches, the sea and of course the fire-action...
i am not 100% sure about the place i will be staying, so if anybody has some advice or knows something nice and convenient then please let me know.

love and hug keep on rocking and see you soon

jai radhe-shyam

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
YAY Shamir is coming smile If you want to meet the fireppl you're best off to move to Arambol rolleyes The guys are there for weeks already and apparently 'stuck' wink

TIG (this is Goa) so no plans, no commitments, just go with the flow weavesmiley wink you got me number, so if you find yourself w/o accommodation gimme a buzz and I'll come to the rescue smile

Motorcycle_PilgrimSILVER Member
7 posts

Posted:
Hey Tom
How is it going.....a few last minute queries before I pack my bags to Goa....

1)Approximately what time will be the kickoff on Feb 5th

2)I am undecided about the accomodation part....what would you recommend Anjuna or Vagator...which is easy to travel back late night from hilltop

3) How is the preparations going??

Keep spinning

Peace
Kuttss weavesmiley

Life is Not a Problem
To Be Solved
But, A Mystery
To be Lived

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
1) Doors open around 12 pm

2) Vagator would be closer of course, but even Hilltop has rooms to rent (starting from Rs. 300/ night)

3) smile It's okay, still lots of work...

The organising is going pretty well - measured at Indian circumstances:

Making the flyer: "Hey Tom, there is this artist who would be happy to help you with the flyer." "Great, please give me his contact." Calling him: "Hey, I heard you'd be willing to help me with the flyer." "Sure would, what you got in mind?" After explaining it to him: "Yeah, send me the sketches and I'll finalize." Nothing happened. "Tom, he didn't receive the sketches, but you can give them to me I pass them on tonite." Nothing happened. I call again: "Sorry, I did not receive neither the mail, nor the hardcopy, let's meet and talk it over." I drive there, nobody home, nobody available on the phone so I leave the original sticker (where I took the Ganesha from) at his door. Another day passes when I hear that he's more or less on his way to Hampi. I decide to do it myself....

"Hey Tom, some musicians would be interested and happy to play music at the convention. And these guys would also be happy to play (...) yes they will be able to bring their own PA." "Wow that's great." "Yes I talked to ... and he'd be happy to be a part of it." Amazing! So I put the name on the flyer, get the first sketch to the guys, they look at it, address minor changes (how on earth did I mistake "Bryan" to Banyan???). I print the flyers present them. "Oh, you put ... on the flyer, did you talk to him?" umm "I thought that's what you did?" "Let me check with him to make sure." Takes his cellphone, talks to the guy and relieves me. "Yes everything is fine." [phew] NEXT DAY I receive a phonecall: "Hey Tom, this is ... I would like to ask you how we end up on your flyer?" redface yaddayaddayadda "okay I give you one more chance, call me tomorrow this time and we sort it out." .... calling the 'initiator', he tells me: "Yeah, he would be happy to play, but YOU have to call and talk to him. He's a nice guy, but not all of his musicians are the same, they might ask for money to play." umm meditate Cut a long story short, it's (almost) sorted now, all I need is a small PA... rolleyes which might cost money, which I would have to finance. Don't get me wrong, I really like this guy and his music, both are legendary and I feel deeply honoured that he plays at the convention, same applies to all the other musicians. Teaches me that obstacles are only there to learn dancing and by that overcome them gracefully.

This started out as an idea to bring the family of jugglers and firedancers together, music was not necessary a (main) feature of it. Hence it's way nice to the the child develop and it's potential.

But by far the scariest situation was when I called the contact at Hilltop and told him: "Hello this is Tom. I got the flyers ready, would like to show them to you." "What flyers?" "For the convention in two weeks." "What convention?" eek I've been able to work it out, so the gig is still on, paid the rent already and am sorting out details.

All these are minor obstacles, so you don't find me grief stricken or anywhere near freaking.

Ever heard the quote: "Success has many fathers, while defeat is an orphan" ? I don't mind ppl taking credits, whilst it's not really fair to Petra, who masterminded the idea with me way before anyone else did. Hilltop was my preferred location from the very start, when everybody else was opting for Ashwem or Morjim.

I dunno what will come out of all this and my main reason for putting it up is my very own moaning about the secular and 'elitist' appearance of the Goan (fire)community for a few years already. No offence meant, no complaint filed, it's just the way it is.

But keep coming, I have to run now and see whether I can organize accommodation, so the family can stay together after the convention

Namaste-ji

PS: we might also have hair wraps, face painting and a tattoo artist present.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
"Accommodation for donation" will be available at

INNJÖY (situated between Om Guesthouse and Flushing Meadows, 5 minutes ride from the convention at the outskirts of Vagator)

We can put up hammocks and sleeping bags to our liking, they have a roof and a restaurant for breakfast. A firepit will also be possible. For details or directions please contact me.

7 posts

Posted:
Hey Tom

Keep up the good work....I know a lot of your energy has gone into it...Salute......eager to catch you up on 5th.....goodluck with everything

Happy Spinning

Peace
Kuttss

Life is Not a Problem
To Be Solved
But, A Mystery
To be Lived

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Thanks and sorry to all:

Firebreathing will neither be permitted nor tolerated on the premises.

We might have the local school and/ or Street Child Rescue sending kids on Wednesday, but I am still waiting for confirmation on this one.

Drug abuse will neither be permitted nor tolerated during these times.

We will have Bellydancing, Kalari-Massage and Kalari-Payyat tuition every day. Kundalini Airport (Paco) will be playing on Thursday. Dragonball (Gyoti) will be playing on Wednesday and we will have sort of a Gala-Show on Friday night.

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Hi there all
Just thinking about you guys and lovcely people that are gonna be getting together in India - I miss you all and the Mother herself.
The Autralasian tour has moved to NZ now, after 5 weeks of festy and show action in Oz
Just had a crazy wknd of shows and trying to get organised for more and got a job interview for a Community Circus trainer here...So maybe making my life in KewiLand
Hope to see you all soon and hope the festy goes amazing well
Respect to Tom and Love to all the crew
Rob hug

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
thankx

PS: forget about the schedule mentioned... This is Goa.

Yesterday I'm at HillTop sunDay party and talk to this firedancer about the convention and that I have to find Chai Mamas who are NOT going to the beach on Tuesday for the "twice a week beach party" there... She goes all like mmmhh, yes beach party and hey yeah well convention... She "and the others" will rather be going to party than to the convention... couldn't help my eyebrow from raising... umm

When only half an hour later we're spinning fire together and she all goes like waaaa, I am SOOOOO much looking forward to the convention and learning new tricks... rolleyes

But there is one thing I need to mention:

The Jeromes will not charge for their tuition and will give a workshop every day: Poi, Staff, Contact Staff, Double Contact Staff... And on Friday we're jamming as Jerome ('Scarface') and Veira are leaving to OZ the day after...

Am I excited about the convention? Phone is ringing again... errrm, yes redface

There will

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ubblol

cut off mid sentence... confused

Short update:

It's coming to the end of the season, so I find the convention to compete with carneval-hangovers, beachparties and Ayahuasca sessions... smile It's been a great day and it was in the true spirit of a Juggling convention.

Today is (Anjuna flea) market day... Another 'obstacle' in terms of numbers, but certainly not in terms of quality...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
OK - short aftermath:

Splendid first event of it's kind in India (not been bold enough to call it IJC but I'm considering to change the name next season). Difficult time at the door for two days in a row, until I vented my feelings and ppl organised themselves to take turns. Difficult time with the local participants (Security and Light) which might jeopardize the donation to Street Child/ Animal Rescue (supplied more than I ordered = charge lots for it).

Financially I'm at least break even, will find out tomorrow how much we can donate to charity.

Apart from that it's been a priceless experience for me. It turned out to be exactly what I had in mind: a mesmerizing "Buddha field" where ppl for many moments completely forgot about their problems and the world around them, a field where artists connected and exchanged, where visitors got inspired and motivated.

I will never forget random strangers to come up and give me hugs, thanking me from their hearts that I realized this and I will never forget the Gala Show in which we have seen so many talents performing.

Miracles happened all the way, people got opportunities (job offers), connected and fell in love with each other.

Yes, I will do it again.

Next season I am aiming for two events: 1) "FirePit" at the beginning of the season (End of November/ Beginning of December), for performers to connect with each other. Background is that then ppl start talking, developing ideas, teaming up and creating shows they can perform during the season. 2) "Indian Juggling Convention" (wow, the title itself scares me a bit) near the end of the season (late January) for the people to re-connect, exchange, plan for the coming season in Europe, to spice up their Goan experience (many come after New Years and many are disappointed by the toxitronic atmosphere, absence of drum and firecircles and common grounds - same as me, which is why I did this).

I am deeply grateful for the beautiful people who came all the way from Arambol, Austria, Canada, Canacona, Germany, Pune, the US and many other places just to attend the convention, grateful for the Universe coinciding international artists working for a Circus in Hyderabad to learn about this convention on the beach and especially for the Jeromes to be there and offer free workshops to anyone.

Without all of you there would have been no convention and this event is more about YOU than it could eventually be about me.

Thanks to: Alisha, Adele, Banyan, Jeromes, Lisa and all the others who took turns at the door. Lata, for organizing them and the Gala Show. Thanks to all the "Stars" who came and shed their lights into the darkness, thanks to all the students who kept the teachers busy and challenged, thanks to the locals who came and had a look without harrassing the females and to those locals who came and participated in the workshops, thanks to the musicians who came and played for us, it's been amazing to jam with you, thanks to the cops who only came one evening and didn't shut us down, thanks to Steve for actually providing the space and help, Sterling to provide us with your sound system.

Thanks for coming, thanks for being who you are

Hope to see you again

wave

tOm

7 posts

Posted:
Hey Tom

Bravoo....3 cheers.....and hearty congratulations ....for the wonderful body arts convention....it was 4 crazy days with so much of talent and arts around......I am so happy to be there......learn a lot of poi moves and also staff....and also try my hand in slack line....

I am in already for the next two events......

Keep up the good work Tom.....if you are passing by bangalore give me a buzz....we could have a chat over a cuppa or beer and also maybe spin some fire....

Take care....Thank you very much
Shanti and love
Kuttss weavesmiley

Life is Not a Problem
To Be Solved
But, A Mystery
To be Lived

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Odd that there's absolutely no hippies at your event... wink

looks like soooo much fun! way to go Tom!

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Yeah - good there was no bloody hiippies!!
So I invite all of you to NZ this year - planning a fin thing for HOP anniversary - more as details get sorted (expect emails soon all yhou International performers and workshopers) and of yeah im moving here and working as a Community Ciorcis trainer - any people that want to come and experience and pass on experience can expect to be payed out of my wages!!
More later as I actually start!!!!
Peas and respect to all
XXX

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

PooKaSILVER Member
journeyman
64 posts

Posted:
just a short post to said thanks to firetom and all the organisers of this events, it was a real great one!!!

lots of good memories, and if there are more pictures, share please!!!!!

it was really nice to met all of you!!!

-juliet. biggrin

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
more pictures more pictures

wink

MORE PICTURES by BRANO OBZERA! YAY

These are great pictures... rolleyes Beautiful...

Juliet, thanks for joining. It was very nice to have you here, please come again next season hug

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
And here have a small vid:

ramdassBRONZE Member
32 posts

Posted:
hey everyone,

lovely convention - lovely people - lovely pancakes - lovely pics (keep on sharing!) -...
thanks tom for letting this happen and thanks to all the helping hands and hearts around this
see u soon somewhere around the globe hug
i had a really great time biggrin

big hug and love,
shamir

jai radhe-shyam

PooKaSILVER Member
journeyman
64 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

Juliet, thanks for joining. It was very nice to have you here, please come again next season hug

of course, I'm already planning to come longer in india next season !!! biggrin wink

and pictures are so beautifull!!! thanks so much!!! ubbrollsmile

Page: