wolfcub3223BRONZE Member
128 posts

Posted:
Im a boy still in school and i want to know what you guys think is the best choice. poi or staff? weavesmiley

Ich brauche Zeit
Kein Heroin kein Alkohol kein Nikotin
Brauch keine Hilfe
Kein Koffein
Doch Dynamit und Terpentin
Ich brauche Öl für Gasolin
Explosiv wie Kerosin
Mit viel Oktan und frei von Blei
Einen Kraftstoff wie Benzin

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
You don't have to make a choice between them, I do both and have had a great time learning both. I started with staff, moved onto diabolo, poi, juggling and many other disciplines, but no one is better than the others. Also check the comment I made in your other thread, poi is a great way to get to know girls smile

Most importantly don't let your peers judge you on what you do, which is what seems to be your worry (correct me if I'm wrong). Just learn what you want to, both staff and poi are great fun as well as good for muscle development.

Poi were originally used by the Maori warriors as a way to strengthen their wrists so that they would be able to use their taiha (Maori fighting staff) more effectively.

Stay charged

westy

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

MrPhreakBRONZE Member
12 posts

Posted:
ditto

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Came for the poi left with
staff
hoops
juggling
acro balance
tumbling
stiltwalking

Dont ristrict your self to one thing if you can't decide have a go a both and see which one you like the best.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
what do you mean 'left with'? surely you're still here

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
yeah just a figger of speach.
those are the things i have got out of or have been inspiared too do through hop so far

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Staff and Poi compliment each other.

If you want to start "easy" start with Poi (as I reckon it's easier to learn than staff help just MHO) - but limiting yourself to only one thing is like "holding hands" for the rest of your life wink rolleyes shrug wink

help again: just MHO footinmouth wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
Really, I found/find staff considerably easier than poi, that said, I don't put anywhere near as much time into poi as I do staff, especially since my practise poi were stolen frown

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
... two years ago wink

IMO the big difference simply is that you have to hold on to the stick and give it significantly more effort/ spin.

Maybe one reason why you think that staff is more easy might be because you use "only" one - try the same with one Poi, or vice versa: two staff.. get the idea? wink

Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
I've tried using only one poi, didn't quite seem the same. What do you mean 2 years ago? I had a really nice pair of UV tail poi that got stolen with my bag which was full of juggling toys and other important stuff after a gig about a month ago, I was well and truly gutted.

I can't seem to do any isolations or truly technical moves with poi, I'm limited to the 3bt, 5bt, btb 3bt, butterflies, ttn, and other such basic moves, whereas staff... tongue ubbloco

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
It's all a personal choice smile As a martial artist with a keen interest in Bo staff, going a fire staff seemed like the natural choice for me. I've plateau'd with the staff for a while and ended up picking up fire fans atop that, as well as dabbling in double staves.

Choosing a fire toy isn't an irreversible choice smile Just take up what you feel like and work with it: You are free to choose what you wish smile

&#2384;

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Point Blank: just teasing...

Written by: PB

other such basic moves

...like fishin'tails for compli ments? ubblol rolleyes wink

What I meant: Choosing any of them toys will ultimatively play together, as some of the moves are complimenting. I figured that picking up Poi later was in no ways a problem, as chakkus, swords and fans... once you have a good knowledge about the way your body works... the rest is downhill. shrug Take em up, play and listen to your heart smile

Triptoemember
71 posts

Posted:
Both is great!! Why choosing one of them? I haven´t tryed staff yet, but it looks great! And I will learn it soon, yay!

-I love goats and cheesecake-

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Staff.

Hands down.

smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

devkevSILVER Member
discoverer of phat and poigling
292 posts

Posted:
both...at the same time..:)

its all about the fun fun fun fun and more fun...

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
I was wondering the same thing and came to the conclusion that I would try and learn both. wink

I first began learning to Unicycle, then I got really hooked with the Diabolo... then onto Poi.

I am gonna learn Poi first, and then give a shot at the staff... I can do two or three very basic tricks with the staff, but I I want to get good with poi... they just look awesome. wink

I'm a guy, and I know another guy that spins poi - I don't think it is girlish at all, they look damn cool. tongue I don't think anyone questions his masculinity once he lights up and begins weaving arcs of fire around him!!

I wasn't too interested in the staff at first, but it has slowly begun to intrigue me. I will definitely end up accomplishing both of them!!

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
a long time ago i started staff, and then forgot it all
then poi last year
then realized after trying staff again knowing that i forgot the staff

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

wolfcub3223BRONZE Member
128 posts

Posted:
How can it be so easy to forget something as exiting as lighting a stick on fire then whirling it around your head

Ich brauche Zeit
Kein Heroin kein Alkohol kein Nikotin
Brauch keine Hilfe
Kein Koffein
Doch Dynamit und Terpentin
Ich brauche Öl für Gasolin
Explosiv wie Kerosin
Mit viel Oktan und frei von Blei
Einen Kraftstoff wie Benzin

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
well, i was like six and there was no fire, and i'm 25 now

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
 Written by: wolfcub3223

How can it be so easy to forget something as exiting as lighting a stick on fire then whirling it around your head

Whoah.

Whoah whoah whoah.

Staffing is certainly harder than spelling exciting, and you seem to have fallen at that hurdle already wink

(I jest! I jest!)

But seriously, go and watch a video by someone good at staff. Like MCP or Strugz.

Then come back and say its just "whirling it above your head".

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
*shudder* agrees with FRD, staff is about movement not swing stuff about like a mentalist...(that's poi) staff is about balance, timing and looking goooood ubblol

and if there's only 1 satff about NOT using your hands biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.