Joey G is a nobmember
2 posts

Posted:
i just got some new pois sent over to me and ive fu*ked them on the first go.
how should i treat them before i use them the first time?
also im used to using Carrosine but seems to be harder to get over here so what else is good to use?
cheers

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Hi Joey.. what have you done to your poi hunny and where are you apart from lost? Peeps call fuel different thing depending on which side of the lake you are on.. Also - there is loads of info on poi care in these threads.. use the funky search thingie at the top of the page..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
first of all...chagne your name...theres no need...we believe you anyway.

secondly. welcome to home of poi

thridly...im guessing you got fire chains...in that case you need to soak them toitally in parafin for 24 hours...then take them out, spin them off, then light them,....then immeadiatly put them out...then resoak them for another 24 hours..

hope that helps...now go do an intro bitch!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
quote:
thridly...im guessing you got fire chains...in that case you need to soak them toitally in parafin for 24 hours...then take them out, spin them off, then light them,....then immeadiatly put them out...then resoak them for another 24 hours..
Is this ritualistic procedure really needed? I did it with my first set, mainly because I was new to it and beleived everything i read on the internet, but with my second I just soaked them overnight the first few times i used them. They don't seem to have been adversally effected by doing so.

I haven't had my fire staffs long enough to tell if i've done them any serious damage by not doing this, but if i were to soak one end for 24 hours, light it and resoak, then do the same with the other end then that would be 4 or 5 days until i get to play with my new toy. It just ain't gonna happen!

Joey G is a nobmember
2 posts

Posted:
cheers peeps, my new set is on the way so ill be sure to do it properly!
and im in East Anglia, miss stix, unfortunatly.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
ritetiho then.. East Anglia can't be that bad.. I'm sure there are little sparkly bits of East Anglia somewhere...

Parrafin is what you want.. should be able to find it at your local petrol station, shouldn't really have to pay more than 4 quid for a big bottle (5 ltr) I've found it at garden centers too - look for the greenhouse heating section (but they may have cleared that away now)

It burns with a semi hot (well really hot obviously) but not as hot as white gas, or as 'cold' as meths.. it's gives off black fumes that cover everything and a *really* nice smell, some people hate it - some people love it.. I've just accepted that it's my summer perfume now..

It can also be an irritant.. Make sure you read the MSDS on the fuel.. there is a link to what it is on the main page, it tell you all about the fuel..

Hope that helps.

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
i have had my poi for about 3 months now and do fire as often as posible (not whilst learning new tricks obviously) but i never soaked my chains in anything for more that 2 minuntes before i light up, my poi are still perfectly fine so, i dont think it is nessesary to saok them. i dont know shit as the saying goes so my poi will proberbly break tomorrow. (hope not)

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
well..thats what i did and they are in pristine condition.....

(*apart from when eECCO stole them and maliciously let the knock against each other therefore fraying the kevlar....bastad!)

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
CarstenS, i never soak mine for more than a few minutes now, but i think ucof was referring to curing them when they are new. Like when you get a new wok (or not if the case may be).

quote:
ritetiho then.. East Anglia can't be that bad.. I'm sure there are little sparkly bits of East Anglia somewhere...
nah, he's right, i've lived here almost 3 years and it's a bit of a dump compared to the niceness of guildford where i grew up.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
argh! whats with this whole soaking crap? seriously, it isnt neccesary

you can get the same effect as mulitple hour soaks, but soaking for a half hour, Light, blow out immediately, dunk, light, blow out, dunk, light, etc....
do the dunk light thing maybe six or seven times in a row, it sets up a crust on the outside of the wicking that seems to add another four or five months life to your poi...

orrrrrrr you could just do what i do, and respect the poi... (my wicks are currently 10 months old, still burning nicely, only JUST starting to fray, and i do at least two sets of burns a week, often more...)

Currently on the right side up of the world.