KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I have been getting increasingly nasty allergic reactions over the past few months, and there doesn't seem to be any obvious cause. It started out as my throat being a bit itchy (it wasn't at all obvious that this was allergies at the time) then went to proper hayfever and hives, and lately has included asthma and swelling in my throat and mouth, with relatively little help from antihistamines.

As I work my way through the different drugs the BNF (British National Formulary) has to control this, I'm also trying to figure out just what the hell is causing it. I've pretty much ruled out any food allergy after a lot of work, and thinking I might just had found it a few times. I use hypoallergenic washing powder, and although I seem more prone to getting them when i'm using certain bedsheets there isn't any sign of the material being different and i doubt careful analysis would reveal any real significance there. Its only gotten progressively worse since about november, which is about 1 month after I moved here, although it did go from almost non existent to mild immediately when I did move.

What kinds of things could have changed? Its winter, nothings blooming. My clothing is the same, I haven't bought anything new until the end of december. I just can't think of anything else... I'd love any suggestions.

My plates are ceramic, incidentally, and the cookware is metal. Nonetheless, there is almost never any correlation with food, and it also continued to get worse when i went to london for two weeks (if anything, it got worse faster) where everything was totally different again.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Well I don't think this is a universal remedy, but it worked for me. I used to get allergies constantly... like mild flu... when I came into contact with mould spores or house dust (which is largely yucky stuff like mite poo etc). As part of my work was home visiting social work, I was often in yucky places.

I tried changing my diet to a *scientifically contested but works for a lot of people* system of eating according to blood type. I didn't do it for allergies... but for general interest to see what would happen. I quickly lost a bit of puffy fluid weight, my digestion improved remarkably, hormonal PMT type stuff cleared up totally...but over a few months... bingo.. my allergies also disappeared. Now, even when I go into places that are really quite mouldy, dusty or nasty now, I don't get any reaction.

if you want to find out more about that, google d'adamo ( the name of the inventor)or blood group (or type) diet. I think that the type of response people have to this approach is extremely varied.. according to the blood group you are , how long/far you;ve deviated from the *appropriate* diet and how sensitive you are in general. But mostly it seems to be positive. I'm a B, with a strong immune system. TOO strong almost, as it was firing off too often. I think the most significant thing I had to lose from my diet was whole wheat. Strange to eat white bread after being a wholefood hippie for decades, but as I reduced wheat/pasta/bread enormously anyway it's not been a big deal.

The other thing I could suggest is a good chinese acupuncturist/herbalist (not a GP with a few weeks training...) as tehy treat things systemically. I know may people who have had skin and other allergies clear up quickly with that approach.

As for London... crikey, that place is so dirty that I think anyone would react!!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yep - I suffer from the same kind of dust allergy as Gabe mentions. In my old room (which was never very tidy) I used to wake up streaming and the only way to shake it off was to go outside for a few hours. I still get this if I sleep at some peoples houses, or sit on certain sofa's (though this could be feathers in the stuffing).
I also had an allergy to paper dust, which is really annoying as the more you use tissue paper to blow your nose, the worse the symptons become. Switch to a cotton one to see if this helps smile

Another possiblity is feathers in pillows/duvets - Especially older ones as the feathers degrade and break up into dust.

If it's started since coming to the UK - it could still be hayfever. Your body won't be used to lots of local pollens, and despite it being winter, it's been so warm some flowers are still out and alot of people have perennial house-plants.

You can always try going to the GP and they can give you an allergy test...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Air conditioning/air heating systems do that sort of thing to me. My flight to and from india was torture.

also pollution... living with smokers/prolonged exposure to cigarette smoke, especially if you're not used to it...

Maybe even an allergy to certain animals?

Or do you do experiments in a lab at Uni? I know you are studying Biochemistry, but not sure what exactly that course entails... maybe you're using something in class that causes this reaction?

I dunno... could be anything... These things just spring to my mind as being common causes of allergic reactions.

shrug

Hope you feel better soon...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
The doctors already don't seem to like me- tests are currently in order of priority, the next one being a chest xray. I've stopped asking questions, partly because i've gone and gotten properly ill again- this marks the 5th bronchitis in 15 months. And no, I don't have asthma (or at least had no symptoms thereof until about 3 weeks ago) and i don't smoke anything.

it could be something related to labs or ventilation, because its worst in chemistry labs. second worst when i exercise, after that it comes and goes randomly but almost never when i'm out of doors, usually when i'm inside, and usually at the university somewhere... the itchyness goes away outdoors too, and the hives, and everything.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
sort of sounds like mites or mold...really anywhere new i go it takes at least three months before my allergies acclimate

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Check THIS out: Melbourne girl allergic to WATER...

wow...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
A friend of the family suffers from that. Pretty intense.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Aquagenic urticaria is *not* an allergy. Damned news media.

In order to have an allergy, you must be able to make an antibody against the molecule to which you are allergic. You cannot be allergic to water because you cannot make an antibody against it.

What she has is an unusual sensitivity. Poor thing.

It can be very frustrating to find the cause of an allergy, especially because the cause can sometimes be unavoidable.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I always though "unusual sensitivity" and "allergy" to be the same... thanks for clarification, Mike.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

fanged_angelBRONZE Member
poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
my girlfriend has recently moved in with me an she braught her cat which i think im allergic to... any suggestions??

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Theres a theory that people who are reducing their kids exposure to known allergens like nuts eggs and milk are in fact increasing the kids allergenicty (is that a word even).
Id heard the theory with cleran houses causing problems.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Gnor, I've seen heaps of reports about that.

It made perfect sense in my non-scientific mind...until I developed two of the things they say growing up in a messy household is supposed to reduce!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Its a statistics thing too.
Our eldest has a chronic auto immune caused condition. But they simply dont know how its caused yet.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

fanged_angelBRONZE Member
poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
antihistamines are good for alot of allergic reactions but not hyper sensitivity disorders, you can pick up a pack of 12 for 49p (over here in blighty anyway) theyre good for all sorts of stuff from heyfever to pet allergies an motion sickness, tickly coughs, skin rashes, insects bites and poor sleep. as far as coeliac disease goes it wont stop it but it can prevent alot of the symptoms from developing, like the rashes an stuff.
hope that helps

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

Is Coeliac disease an allergy?

No. It is a sensitivity. Celiac disease has a different molecular pathology than an allergy. There is also such a thing as a gluten allergy, which presents different from celiac disease.

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Gnor

Theres a theory that people who are reducing their kids exposure to known allergens like nuts eggs and milk are in fact increasing the kids allergenicty (is that a word even).
Id heard the theory with cleran houses causing problems.

Gnor, you're slightly off-track.

Early exposure to allergies such as nuts, eggs, shellfish, and wheat can increase allergies to these materials.

HOWEVER, the theory goes that early exposure to bacterial toxins (because you own a dog or cat or live on a farm) stimulates proper maturation of the immune system and thus decreases allergies.

This is called the "hygene hypothesis." It notes that children who grew up on farms, or who had pets around before age 1 are less likely to have allergies and asthma than their age-matched peers without these conditions.

For this reason, I counsel parents to NOT sterilize everything, and to let your kid play in the dirt, kiss the dog, and drink from the garden hose.

-Mike

la_genieBRONZE Member
73 posts

Posted:
you said you moved to a new location, what about the various chemicals used to treat the water in that area. Perhaps they are slightly diff from where you lived b4. A nother thought, if you take a med every day and the pharmacy or your health insurance changes to a diff manufacturer, that could cause problems. My ex husband couldn't use insulin made by Eliy Lilly. we found out when his insurance switched contracts. just a thought.

Be aware, the evil flowers may eat your toes....
Have no friends not equal to yourself...
Feed your mind, read a book