Forums > Social Chat > not really poi but i'm intrested

Login/Join to Participate

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
well it isnt poi at all reather irrelevant really but i was reading malcolm's chat topic, and there are a lot of users that use systems other than (the evil) windows.i use a mac and pc on win at home and pc win at collage. i was just wondering what system do you use and for any particular reasons??i use mac cos i just love them, thay are soooo mush better than pc's i find and due to the fact that my pc wont even turn on any more that proves my point... also i love the design of the mac's their great.. of and i used the pc becouse of its compatability... as my macs are quite old and cannot run softwin. well my powerbook did but thats another story.what are your thoughts, and i'm sorry to anyone who get's pissed off with computer chat.. but too late now

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
*pet peeve alert* smile I see a lot of Mac users making this "term" error, so I'll correct it. PC stands for Personal Computer. A Mac is a personal Computer. So is a Compaq, Dell, Packard Bell, etc, just about any computer that sits in your home that ISN'T a mainframe is a PC. smileI use Win98 on my home PC, and I have a dual-boot on my laptop..Linux(UNIX), and Windows 98. I won't dare touch ME or 2000. Both seemed less functional than 98..------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
I had issues with the term "PC" way back in 1982 when IBM introduced it. Because, after all, my Apple ][ was also a personal computer. I've long since given up carrying the torch on that one...My Apple ][ got replaced with a PC/AT (12 Mhz 286 clone) in 1987, but was never really used for anything more than WordPerfect and a VT100 emulator to dial into the unix system at school.The 286 got replaced with an SGI Indigo in 1994. I got a few more SGIs over the years, but recently my system of choice has been Intel hardware running Linux. That may change, however, once I start playing with Mac OS/X. ;-)-p.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
mmm well I got a G4 Mac (OS9) for email and websurfing, and a PIII 800 (win2k) for database stuff and DivXat home I've got an Athlon800 (win98 + redHat7) for gaming and stuffing around.(actually I do web Design on the G4 cuz it's simply the fastest for what I want to do. The Mac interface is more transparent than any Windows I've used. the pIII is for SQLserver2K cuz there isnt a decent SQLstyle database on the Mac. I have the Athlon at home cuz I do all sorts of stuff from 3D, to photoshop, to database stuff to Music compostion, and of course gaming.)Josh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
crazyraverdude- wow, everything you said, i was already planning on putting, about macintosh computers being pc's also, and even what you said about win 98 vs me and 2000.personally i can use the mac interfaces (i dont know what the specific term is) i used them at school for graphic design class. they are actually very similar. my own preference is windows (and preferably 98), when i get my next computer, it will be windows based, but after i take some os classes i plan on getting linux too. from what i understand it has alot of benefits, but i think it would be good to have linux and windows both.as far as which os is best, i dont think any of them are. i know that mac fans are big on saying microsoft sucks and all, but its not really true, they just dont like it b/c everyone else does and few places use mac, i'd say they are all equal, but it is nice to use windows based stuff b/c most of the rest of the world does, i hate having to change file formats to switch back and forth. but anyway i figure eventually they will all totally work together and it wont mattaer which you use.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
ok me is shite, but 2k is far more stable than win98. (at least if you are using your machine for memory / processor intensive tasks...bring back 3.1 I say. can anyone tell me the things that have actually improved since then?Josh

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
redbro,Just..you use a Mac at school. smile I say go for it..don't even take the classes. Just decide to install Linux. If you want I'll point you in the direction of a website that explains how to do a dual-boot with windows. Installing FROM a windows OS, and adding Linux to it. But as for the reason why a lot of people hate Microsoft...I can name more reasons than I have fingers and toes. I prefer Windows 98 just because it is what I'm most familiar with. UNIX(notice I didn't say linux...) is my second fav. Mac falls into third. I agree though, NONE of them are up to standards with what we SHOULD have. It's ridiculous. The programming industry must be either filled with a bunch of morons....or just not enough "good" programmers.Josh,3.1!!! MAn..the only thing I used that for was Solitaire...and then my SLIP connection to the internet once I got it. Then *WOW* Netscape in a Box came out. Spry lol..remember them? Mosaic..names long forgotten. I'll name a couple things that have improved since then. 32bit processing, parallel processing, and multitasking. smile 64bit processing will be out within a year!------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
well thankyou guyz, about the pc.., stuff i just get into the habbit as it is just a easy way to define a win.... system so sorry.it is quite intresting. the problem with my mac at the mo is that as all my other computers have broken and i am broke ( and caoont be bothered to fix them) i am running on a 68k mac os8.0.1... funthat means that i have a very slooooooow connection (about 40s to open one post) yes it is bad!!!so i wont try at my collage i have a 2mb line so it is a little faster.about win, it is not that i hate it... i just find it quite annoying and i just soo prefer macs os.i have thought about linux/ unix for the mac as i have never really tried it and osx is a little advanced for a 68k.anyway i am ment to go into a exam not so i had better stop writing before my teacher has a go.. smileangus

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
ajtag - Sorry to hear your's is so slow, but it makes me feel a wee bit better. My fabbo home set-up downloads at a MASSIVE 1k/sec. Something is wrong. But I don't know what.Still, it WORKS!!!!! grinNoods

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible