Forums > Social Chat > Important health/safety advice

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, so I just completed our HIPAA (Hospital Information Privacy...something or other) training and the new rules which are going into effect at our hospital and other hospitals around the country are very restrictive regarding sharing of patient medical information. If you are in the U.S., I have some suggestions, seeing as how we spinners are a bit accident prone. Actually, this is probably a good idea no matter what country you are in.

1) Take a piece of index card and cut it to the size of your driver's license.

2) On one side of this piece of index card, list all medications (including over-the-counter meds) that you are taking and any medical conditions that you have. It would be especially helpful if you could say what each medication treats. List any allergies (especially to medications). Finally, this would be a good place to put your organ donor status.

Some examples: "I take insulin for Type-I diabetes", "I take Prozac for depression." or "I take Claritin-D for hay fever", "I am allergic to penicillin" or "I am severely allergic to bee stings (or nuts or whatever else)."

3) On the other swide of this card, write the following: "In case of emergency, please contact XXXXXXXXX at (###) ###-####. I hereby grant permission for all relevant medical information to be shared with this individual." Then sign it.

4) Take this piece of card and put it behind your drivers license (or state ID) in your wallet. If you are unconscious, someone will go through your wallet, and the first thing they will do is look at your ID, and then they'll find the card back there. Not only can this save your life, but it will simplify the process of notifying your family, spouse, or significant other in the event of an accident.

This will take probably five minutes of your time and could save your life.

Here's to hoping that none of us ever needs to have that card looked at!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Malcolm,

Medic alert bracelets are great and I wish more people would wear them. They can even carry emergency contact information, but unfortunately, not written and signed consent to share medical information.

If you should be wearing a medic alert bracelet and don't want to have a bracelet advertising your ills to the world, then you can also get a medic-alert card that goes behind your ID card. However, the "ghetto" version I described above works just as well and has the advantage of that whole consent issue.

Hopefully, the people who make medic-alert bracelets and cards will figure out a way to address this issue soon. Or maybe HIPAA will be amended so that we can assume implied consent to share relevant medical information with the contact listed on a medic-alert bracelet.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura