Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
Having had rather a slow day work wise today, I was digging through old junk in the office...and came across this. I don't know who wrote it (if anyone has an idea, let me know), but it made me stop and think....

Aren't you
They asked
Haunted
By the ghosts
Of innocent mice
And rats,
And cats,
And yes,
My God,
Those sad-eyed
Trusting
Dogs
That have suffered
And died
That suffer
And die
Even now
In you damned
Laboratory experiments
Aren't you
I replied
Haunted
By the ghosts
Of innocent men
And women
And boys
And, yes,
My god,
Those sad-eyed
Trusting
Little girls
Who have suffered
And died
Who suffer
And die
Even now
Because I have not yet
Done enough
Damned
Laboratory experiments?
One should choose ghosts
Like friends
Carefully

Thoughts?

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

os1member
101 posts

Posted:
clever, but fundamentaly flawed

Love is a gift. You can't buy it, you can't find it, someone has to give it to you. Learn to be receptive of that gift

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
Howso?

os1member
101 posts

Posted:
Humans have diferent reactions to drugs than animals.
Animals are different to humans in many ways, genetically, anatomically, physiology, emptionally and socially.
THALIDOMIDE
Thalidomide was marketed as a safe tranquilizer for pregnant women, proven safe by years of testing on animals.
However, this "safe" drug resulted in more than 10,000 grossly deformed human babies worldwide.
ORAL CONTRACEPTIVES
In humans, oral contraceptives increase the risk of fatal blood clots, but in dogs they prolong blood clotting times.
I could go on

Love is a gift. You can't buy it, you can't find it, someone has to give it to you. Learn to be receptive of that gift

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
Thalidomide was never tested properly prior to its introduction as a morning sickness supressor. And when they did test it, they found that it had an optical isomer, and it was this isomerism that had caused all the problems.

Yes, rats metabolised the drug differently to humans, but tests on monkeys and rabbits had the same effects.

Interestingly enough, thalidomide is quite useful as a treatment for inflammatory disease.

But that wasn't what I was getting at ...

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
then there's also the question of where you draw the line regarding which drugs are potentially important enough to warrant killing things for.

it's easy to put forward an argument for testing on animals if the drug will definitely save human lives. but what about all those drugs that ease the symptoms of, or cure, non-fatal diseases?

surely you can't warrant killing things when the end result is the saviour of no lives.

and what of those drugs that the even relevant scientists and experts have no clear idea of their life-saving properties? should we risk killing things then?

the science of advancement doesn't necessarily constitute the advancement of science.

wherever you go, there you are.