Forums > Help! > First time performance

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Kazzamember
68 posts

Posted:
Hey guys i know theres a few first time threads (wahay) but i need some advice and very fast.

I kinda volunteered to do fire spinning for a club night in bristol and iv never spun in public before. Obviously iv spun in front of various poi peops and non poi friends but im nervous as hell about doing it front of lots and lots and lots of strangers.

Anyone got any advice and anyone in the bristol area fancy possibly giving me a hand???

mucho lovio

Kaz

x

facelesshadowGOLD Member
Wit is not your strong point!
142 posts

Posted:
toobie,

Well it sounds like you have a plan about what you in general need to dowave....now you just need to get more specific. ubbidea

I find that freestyle is really cool because there is no pressure of a routine. clapBut when it comes down to it I really like to have a routine to some specific music so that way I know I will not randomly draw a blank infront of a bunch of people. There are pros and cons to both. lolsign

If you find a good song to do it to, you need to time it all out, and figure out which moves are good to start with and how you will advance through the tricks. ubbidea You can do it just by playing around and finding what works, or you can actually go into it and find all of the beat lengths that you can apply an 8 count to.

As far as learning new moves, I think that is all up to you. meditate I am sure you know that there are a ton of moves on HOP that have visual and text explanations of the moves. But there is also a wonderful search engine to find people near you to practice with. wavehello

It is as you said though "I need to learn some new stuff, and i need to practice and i need to stop panicking.....!" You could not have said it better. Keep a calm cool head and plan this thing out step by step, once you have the plan stick to it.ditto

I know how you feel...right now I have a Renaissance Banquet in 2 weeks and my team is not ready for it. I am just having to make more practices so we can get it all down, which we always seem to get it down at the last minute!grouphug

Don't worry if you do your best than it will turn out fine. But feel free to come back to this thread and ask questions if you needconfused....I am sure that everyone will be more than glad to help you here! hug

Beyond the Continuum.

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
hehehe thank you faceless, it always nice to have a bit of reassurance!!

I know i can do it, i will probably do just as you say, work out a routine using the moves i am confident with, to a song i know mike will play and thats the worst bit over with.

the rest i think i will just freestyle, see how confident i feel about newish moves at the time and then i do not feel forsed into pulling anything i do not fell 100% about at the time.

Also lots of time for practicing.... almost three weeks. i go to the twirl soc at the uni so *finges x'd*

~|x.,x.,x|~

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
well done weavesmiley

any_suggestionsGOLD Member
enthusiast
238 posts

Posted:
right i need info aswell sorry to come on your thread but i need advice fast,im doing a performance on my own for the first time,i have insurance,but dont know about a risk assessment?it a 2 day event they have asked me how much it would cost for me to spin for the weekend,how much should i say?i dont want to say to much and be told to get on my bike and i dont want to sell my self out,any advice gratefull,thanks!

to many freaks to little circuses!

facelesshadowGOLD Member
142 posts

Posted:
toobie:
Good stuff...see you have no reason to be worried. Three weeks is a long time but make sure to set aside the needed time length to pull it all together with confidence!

any_suggestions:
Well you seem to be in quite a predicament...and I can't be of too much help, but I can say that at the very least you need to cover all expenses (including travel, fuel, some overhead for insurance, etc.) but of course you want to profit from this as well. I am not too sure about the going rates of fire performances, and I don't want to just take a shot in the dark when someone else on here could give you better advice than little old me.

But you need to make sure to get the risk assessment out of the way, you don't want to give the people a rate for you performing and not be able to follow through because of unforseen risk of dry grass, etc.

Hope all goes well, and I think you will do fine. Someone else will probably help you out with a rate, but if it comes down to it have faith in yourself that you can come up with a decent rate. Though I think that the performing cost should be a bit (if not, quite a bit) more than what it is going to cost you in expenses for the weekend.

In the end if the price is too high you might try haggeling/bartering with them. But you know when the limit is for selling yourself short and don't cross that line, even if you end up not doing the performance.

Beyond the Continuum.

enthusiast
238 posts

Posted:
cheers for that faceless,little but good advice is better than no advice lol,its not for a while yet so i have got time to get the risk assessment sorted,anyone elses advice would be great to,thanks!

facelesshadowGOLD Member
142 posts

Posted:
No problem, that is what I am here for, and also this thread! Good luck in the show!

Beyond the Continuum.

Curly_SueSILVER Member
laughter is the way to get through life
179 posts

Posted:
Just picture them all naked. lolsign

I fell down a hill once, got up then fell down it again.

facelesshadowGOLD Member
142 posts

Posted:
Naked can be good and bad...I prefer just to picture the good looking ladies that wayspank. It is not exactly my thing, to swing, the other way. umm But to each their own!

Beyond the Continuum.

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
I think it won't be too bad fo me, as there will be flashy lights and things as it is a club night so it will be harder to see the people too. It woudln't be so bad at the old place, but this is a new place, opening night, and new people.

Be R'eet.

facelesshadowGOLD Member
142 posts

Posted:
See, I am not one who actually pays too much attention to the crowd, once you pull off the first couple tricks...it is all cheers. Then if you screw up it is an awww untill you get back up for more.ubbloco

I rarely get anxious before do ing a fire run anymore.....though on occasion the stars align just right, the elements all converge and I for some reason get a bit nervous. I have no idea why, and it is really random when I do get nervous. confused

Beyond the Continuum.

enthusiast
238 posts

Posted:
lol when i know people are watching me i try to put on a decent show,i enjoy it lol so i should be fine when it comes to doing my performances,i got another one lined up aswell now,how are we all btw?

facelesshadowGOLD Member
142 posts

Posted:
Dang, it sounds like you are on a roll...keep up the good work in getting those gigs and you might just forget about a day job! bounce lolsign beerchug

Aside from that I am doing fine but I am a bit tired from all of the college work I am doing.

Keep us informed about how the gigs are going! beerchug

Beyond the Continuum.

enthusiast
238 posts

Posted:
of course i will lol,what courses you doing in college?i hope to give up my day job and make a living from spinning fire.

facelesshadowGOLD Member
142 posts

Posted:
Making a decent living by just doing spinning gigs would be cool...

Right now I am taking a history of theater class, a basic Spanish class, and a General Chemistry class. The theater class is pretty much a breeze, and so is the spanish but I have a ton of homework in spanish that takes hours to do so that is a pain. The one major killer thing right now is my chemistry class, there is a ton of work and some pretty deep concepts to try and understand....don't get me wrong, I can do it and I will probably pull of no less than a B in all the classes, but I am hoping to get as many A's as possable. So ya it is more or less a lack of sleep, and an overworked mind. But as soon as summer comes I think I will be back to my normal self.

No worries though, but how are you doing? What perils in your life are giving you grief and or releaving some?

Beyond the Continuum.

Page: