ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Friend rang me up yesterday afternoon telling me I had to go to the local beach and check out this 'Sunfish' that had washed up on the beach.

Sunfish, yeah right I'm thinking. She wants me to drive 10 mis to the beach a look at a fish!!! But she kept insisting I should check it out. In the end I gave in and took the mini-zolt with me to go ckeck it out.

Got there, couldn't believe the size of this thing. It just looked so prehistoric, from a different world.
Got a few pics of it ->
Sunfish
Sunfish with people for perspective
Starfish - minizolt

Where do these things come from? What is it doing in Inverloch (2 hours south of Melbourne)?

So much fire, so little body hair...

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
*sings madly....

'one of these things is not like the other, one of these things is not the same..... '*

(god bless sesame st)

dude! sacred BEEF! (holy cow) that thing is insane....
the last pic is the cutest tho

Currently on the right side up of the world.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I think they swim around Britain too - could be wrong though.

Good eating on one of them though...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
The sunfish is one of those animals that will grow according to the size of it's environment. If you kept the same fish in a 5 gallon tank, he would likely only grow to be about 6-10 inches long. But 'cause he's got a whole ocean to swim in...

Generally, sunfish that size stick with warmer climes. There are several species that inhabit the coasts of western US. Dunno why he felt he had to visit such a southerly place as Inverloch, except maybe to sample the fine quisine and local atmosphere, perhaps take in a show

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.