Forums > Social Discussion > Murder over the poi/glowstringing culture/artform - Please read :(

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Hey all,

Those who know me well may know that I moderate at gs.c - www.glowsticking.com. Our website is devoted to the art and culture of dancing with glowsticks. We're a bunch of ravers and hippies and kids at heart who just want to have fun doing what we do. For that we have a strict anti-competitive posting rules and say no to "dance battles". I'd like to say that we all follow the raver ideals of PLUR - Peace, Love, Unity, and Respect.

In San Antonio, Texas, a culture of poi battlers has grown. They go to clubs fighting over who is "better" and groups of "crews" and gangs have risen up. There was a website of them called String-E people in the past, where they would compete and fight and argue over who did what move first and who copied another poist.

This is the story of one of our members who got attacked for his beliefs in non-competition.

Written by: djsparrow

It was December 29th 2006. My wife had been pregnant for three months and was about to end her first trimester. this was ultimately her last time to go out and party before the pregnancy really started to slow her down. We decided that we would go out to Sky Lounge, one of the more popular nightclubs in Austin.

Before heading out i was contacted by a GS.C member with the name "Spicy_truth". Now i knew he was from San Antonio and a member on the String-e-people website. usually that's not a problem, some of them are very laid back and fun people to hang out with. For those wondering why i mentioned that, for some reason or another the entire scene down here who has access to GS.C seem to have this fetish for calling me a biter, and a faker. why? My best guess is because i denied the culture and influences they try to force upon kids who want to start (i started in 2001 and was raised on GS.C) So ever since 2001 randomly at events and whatnot i'll either get "called out" to battle someone, will be recognized as a GS.C member, or they will actually KNOW me. Spicy_Truth had said he wanted to meet me, and wanted to talk some censored out. at the time i didn't know if that was a welcoming or a warning, so i told him to meet me at sky lounge.

We arrived at Sky Lounge around ten o'clock and went on to the main dancefloor. about fifteen minutes passed and then a Hispanic teenager about 5'4" tapped me on the shoulder and said,

"You sparrow?"

"yeah?"

"you're a censored biter dawg"

"do i know you?"

"Spicy... i wanted to tell you to your face you're a biter"

"how am i a biter? if i ever borrow any ideas i give the rightful respect to them"

"Bullshit dawg you're a biter straight up"

the argument continued for almost an hour, we had also somehow managed to wander over to the tables and sat down. no voices were raised, no fists were thrown, we even bought some drinks to quench our first to continue talking. Misty (my wife) and I had ordered water. Misty about halfway through th whole thing said she needed to go to the restroom and uickly excused herself. as she walked off i watched her make her way across the floor and my eyes were quickly drawn to the amazing lightshow going on at the Dj booth. Spicy interuppted my gaze by smacking the table with his palm and yelling "sparrow" to get me back to reality, and the conversation continued. Misty returned as the conversation ended with,

"alright whatever man, to GS.C you're a god, but to the rest of the world, you're a biter"

Spicy stood up and walked out to the dancefloor muttering out loud how i had ruined his night. he met up with three other guys that were standing off near a wall, and signalled that they were all going to leave. Misty and I finished off our drinks and went out to the dancefloor thinking nothing of this whole argument.

We made our way onto the dancefloor and i resisted the urge to string, as it was one hell of a party that night. Misty was up near the heart of the dancefloor, and i had strayed behind as i was caught in a circle doing a liquiding routine. when i was able to make my way out of the circle (maybe three minutes max) i started to look for her. i couldn't see her. dear god i had lost track of her and i had her phone. where is she, i need to find her. and i saw the most sickening sight i could ever imagine.

Misty laid sprawled across the floor not moving, people not even noticing she had fallen down. i pushed people out of the way to get to her, christ she had a shoeprint on her cheek, how long had i been in that circle? i picked her up in my arms, she was hot, very hot. i tried calling her name and gently nudging her, praying to god i could get a response. she remained limp in my arms. what the hell had happened? was it really that bad of an idea to go dancing while she was pregnant? why was she so hot? dear god how long had she been trampled?

I ran out of the club with her swinging in my arms. her breathing was so soft. as i sprinted out to the parking lot i dialed 911.

"9-1-1 emergency"

"my wife is pregnant and she's passed out"

"what is your location"

"we're down at sky lounge on congress"

"we're sending an ambulance right away"

I threw open the back doors and opened one of the water bottles i had in the back. covering her mouth, i poured the bottle over her face to hopefully wake her up and cool her down. nothing happened. i checked her pulse, her heart was racing. but if her heart was racing why was she breathing so softly? the ambulance arrived a few minutes later and i carried her up to the stretcher and we drove off to the nearest hospital.

After answering all of the questions the emergency care workers were asking, i looked at Misty. seeing my wife carrying our child in a dire state like that, i couldn't bare see it. i covered my eyes for i don't know how long. the ambulance came to a hault and the back doors were swung open. Misty was carried off to EU, and they said i could see her in a few minutes. this of course sent me into a fit of rage demanding to be by my wife's side, this was ridiculous i promised her i would never leave her side, and this was an obvious time that i needed to be there with her. it took them fifteen minutes of talking to cool me down and get me to just sit and wait. i watched that damn clock like a starving wolf, counting each second click past. a doctor was walking towards me, had the clock changed dramatically? the little arm was on eleven.

"Bourland?"

"yes"

"your wife, does she have any type of severe allergies?"

"no, only cedar fever, but it's moderate"

"Does she abuse any kind of drugs?"

"no, what do you mean?"

"well. there is an extreme trace of MDMA in her. enough to kill someone."

"Oh my god, is she-"

"no, she's alive, we lowered her temperature back down. but some things did occur"

"what. what do you mean?"

"Well we aren't sure what the MDMA has done to her mentally. you see MDMA affects-"

"yes i know, i've read up on it."

"okay, well the other problem. was. the child-"

"oh my god. no!"

"I'm afraid so."

She was released under my care that morning. Misty slept for three days straight. In the mean time the police were asking about what had happened, and i replied the entire situation to them. The police said they had nothing to go off of, all they had was an occurance and without anything hard to go with, it was a dead end.

That day Cleric and CynicDave messaged me. apparently Spicy_Truth had made a remark about all that had happened. Cleric deleted the comment that was posted on my video thread and sent it to me. CynicDave banned, IP banned, and traced where the message had come from. Spicy had posted the message from a San Antonio office supply store. i fed all of the information given to me from Cleric and Dave to the police and they said they would look into it. The next two days i worked as much as i could so i could start paying off the mounting bills from the hospital.

It was the first of the year in 2007 when i got a call from the police at ten in the morning. they asked me to come down and verify some information. i told Misty i would be back in a few hours, and took off.

Down at the police station they asked me to identify two men they had in captivity. One of them was Spicy, and the other was one of the guys he had walked away with that night. i told them yes those two were there that night. the office told me that Omar (spicy) had admitted to everything, and all i needed to do was sign a couple of papers, and i wouldn't even need to show up in court. Later that day i recieved another call stating that they had both been sentenced to 19 years each in prison.

All of that from a corrupt environment. is that really what it comes down from? you are willing to KILL someone to prove an opinion that someone is a biter, in an artform? My wife and myself will forever be emotionally scarred, and i will never have the child i could have had because of this. i want this to be a message to everyone, that this is a possibility to everyone, and every society. the culture down here is so corrupt that problems are no longer settled on dancefloors, its settled in hospitals. I could turn this whole story into one big "dont battle" message but i want it to be more than just that. i want it to be an exhibit of how bad society can get. how a culture you love so much, can become so volatile. Don't hate others, don't alienate others, don't call people biters, haters, fakers, or whatever comment you can think up. why can't we all be one thing, family? mine has already been destroyed, and the last thing i want to see is others have this happen. i swear to god, i want this to be the only incident to ever happen. i enver want to go on to GS.C and read that someone else has lost a family from the culture. and that's why i'm going to try and save what little there is to save out here. i know there are still members out here who share the same beliefs, and ideas as i do. i refuse to give up on the texas scene even though i've lost so much out here (credibility, my unborn child,and almost my wife) and i refuse to see it happen to anyone else.

sincerely,

Sparrow

I'll let you draw your own conclusions- but if you could, please reflect on this story.

If you could also give your condolences and hug to "djsparrow" on glowsticking.com or "djsparrow" on AOL Instant Messenger. I'm sure he and his wife would appreciate it.

Thank you,

~Kael

EDITED_BY: KaelGotRice (1168820437)

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Kael, I respect your right to have your own opinion. Just like Pele.

Cheers!

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
And it is your right to have yours. hug

Am I allowed to say cheers? I think they told me it was a european thing smile

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Why assume NYC was jesting? I just respect he has the guts to say it. And Antti.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Cos NYC frequently jests? wink

Not that I thought he was this time. I believe this time he was seriously opinion expressing.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
When I read this story I thought it was sick and heart breaking.
Of course the thought crossed my mind as to "maybe it's not true", but regardless I think sending out love and compassion is much more important than proving otherwise.

I don't think it was a hoax. What would be the point in that?

Getting into arguments over whether this is a hoax or not isn't helping anything.

hug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

NYC...I am NOT censored amused. If you want proof, fine, just ask.

I don't want proof. That's my point. You've posted some pretty unbelievable stuff on this forum and we've all taken you at your word.

I agree that the story sounds a bit amazing but the manner in which you flat out and sysematically contradicted it was beyond rude. You could have asked for clarification. You could have at least acted open minded but you didn't. You constructed a long post which blasted the story. Maybe it was true, maybe it wasn't, but the tone and seriousness of the issue demanded more respect than you gave it.

And don't fool yourself into thinking your taking the "high ground" by calling someone you've never met a liar.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Stained_WhisperGOLD Member
Lighting up the darkness, one performance at a time
161 posts

Posted:
mad2 my heart stopped a couple of times while reading that, OMG, i cant believe that these people exist, maybe im ignorant or something, but im stunned!

You are the only problem you will ever have
and you are the only solution

Pinkadelicmember
70 posts

Posted:
Woah people chillout, you realize a life has been taken here?
no matter which way it happened, someone died, wtf does it matter how, or who`s fault it is!
chillout, he came here with a story, not a law, you dont have to rebel...

Love is Life

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

And don't fool yourself into thinking your taking the "high ground" by calling someone you've never met a liar.

The high ground is refraining saying exactly what I am thinking because it is, quite honestly, against HoP rules or lowering myself to name calling.

I will not be bullied into feeling guilty or apologize for questioning this publically, or my conviction in the actions.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

I will not be bullied into feeling guilty or apologize.

confused

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
what a horrible thing to happen, my condolences to sparrow and his missus...

i think theres a need to question these days purely because we never know from the media if what we are being told is the truth, and that stretches to the internet too. but regardless of whether it is true or not (i believe it, but wish it wasnt true..) you cant retaliate to these people with hate it just makes them more twisted..

and c'mon guys difference of opinion and debate are cool but why lash out at folk? i think both the believers and non believers of this story are equally entitled to their own thoughts on this matter, but both could be portrayed in a nicer manner? peace heart grouphug hug meditate

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by Stout

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
frown

I've already stated my thoughts on this topic.

Whether or not you believe the story to be real, the best thing to do is offer condolences and love.
It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
ditto

Well said Jo, I agree entirely with that sentiment.

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
hmm. i can see some inconsistencies, but none that make me say 'that could never have happened'

what i can't see is a reason for saying this if it's not true.

shrug

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by Stout

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
i dont think it does matter. Kael wanted to show them this thread to show how many of us out here felt their pain.

I think it would have been lovely to have a thread full of love and support. And if you can't bring yourself to send good wishes then sometimes it's best not to say anything.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
deleted for coming across wrongly

The only thing I'll keep is, it's not going to help anyone if you discuss how real someone's grief is. None of us that have posted so far know Sparrow, or the guys who allegedly made his wife lose the baby. I think it's more than a bit morbid discussing the story like it's been done in this thread.
EDITED_BY: Birgit (1168980964)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by Stout

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
shrug wow some of these responses are ridiculous.

Pele i support what you intended with your first post, i also agree with some of the replies to it.

BUT

I feel that some others need to think before they post, i know every one has an opinion and within reason is allowed to air that opinion.. but sheesh!

Pele should never have been called a ***** or high almighty or what ever else... there is no need for any name calling just for airing an opinion.

hug for everyone and mostly for sparrow and his wife. My condolences again.

Can we have nice posts after this line thanks? confused
----------------------------------------------

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Babies, like there with you...

Make you feel it.

love,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
My deepest and most heartfelt sympathies to those who were hurt by this act. It is a terrible thing to have the life of someone you love stolen away from you, even if it is a baby you have yet to meet. My condolences. hug

There are people out there who are downright malicious. It is a sad fact of life. There is a reason why the "Internet Safety" thread is stickied and why there is a "Clubbing Safe" article on HoP. This story is an excellent cautionary tale about the kind of people that are out there and what they can be capable of, even if you cannot see past any inconsistencies that might be there. meditate

That being said, I urge the good people of HoP to continue to spin and party safe, especially since I rather enjoy chatting with all of you. beerchug

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
when i first read this i was shocked by the story, but had my doubts (there were only about 5 responses at this stage) and because i saw that kael was hoping to link 'sparrow'to this thread i kept quiet. i'd rather be laughed at for being nice to a liar than rude to someone that lost a child.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

ZenoophSILVER Member
psychadelic pyro
570 posts

Posted:
I agree Mr. M. It costs us nothing to be nice.

Normality is the playground of the unimaginative

facelesshadowGOLD Member
Wit is not your strong point!
142 posts

Posted:
In my wildest dreams I never though poi would become something to kill over. No poi move in the world is worth someones life.
Thiose dudes should have got an extra five years just for being stupid.
Who really cares about who first discovered the 3,000 beat weave, it is not like that move will save someones life or make advances in anything important enough that it would be worth life itself!
My condolences to their loss.

Beyond the Continuum.

Stained_WhisperGOLD Member
Lighting up the darkness, one performance at a time
161 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr Majestik

i'd rather be laughed at for being nice to a liar than rude to someone that lost a child.

very well said.

Fair enough, everybody has a right to their own oppinion, it is which that makes us human, but being polite about it costs nothing, and if you dont agree, fine, say you dont agree and leave it at that, it is not your place to call someone a liar, or try and downgrade the story, it affects you in no way, whether it is true or not, everybody knows there are dangers in this world, and evn if that story is a fake, it has made everybody abit more aware, i see no negative impacts on the fellow Hoppers... so either way, i think all this questioning on whether this story is real or not is completely irellevant.

You are the only problem you will ever have
and you are the only solution

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

And if you can't bring yourself to send good wishes then sometimes it's best not to say anything.

I believe in the past there have been instances of stories posted on HOP which have pulled in a lot of well-meaning people which where later found to be questionable or false.

I recall that at least one of them may also have involved collection of money.

Obviously, such stories are an issue and if Pele feels she has grounds to question this one, then it's no wonder she posted on the thread.

Personally, I've no opinion on the truth of falsity of this incident- I do understand that most would wish to err on the side of caution in consideration of the feelings of the victim; but I also understand that if Pele sees holes in the story, she'd comment on it.

I do object to aggressive and insulting posts against Pele (or against anyone here)- as as been said on many occasions, if someone takes issue with a post, the thing to do is use the 'notify mods' button, rather than post insulting comments.

Compared to most other online forums, HOP does pay attention and deal with reported posts.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
So... if someone takes issue with Pele's posts they should notify a moderator?

ubblol

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
No, because people only take issue with Pele's posts because she's a mod - it has nothing to do with what she said.

ubbangel

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ubblol

This thread is sooooo HOP.

Maybe someone should start a new thread based called 'taking issue with pele...'

I'll reserve my opinion for the sake of the anti rant movement but for gods sake people, chill out, this is the internet....

Love is the law.

Page: