frer3BRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
Okay, so I got throws, some basic accelerations, a cradle, some trapezes, and a messed up diabolo. I'm serious. When I do power whips, it will tilt towards me. when I correct it, it starts up again. Also, I need new material. I'm still a beginner, but i can land some pretty high throws (about 7 feet up). any advice?

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
I don't know what to do about your messed up diabolo. If it is constantly tilting it is because you're hands are not parallel when you're tapping. Either that or it is a crudely made diabolo and you'll need to buy a better one. biggrin Remember that the bigger diabolos are actually more stable than the smaller ones and tilt less.

As for tricks and stuff I suggest checking out this website: https://www.diabolotricks.com/

It has loads of stuff to learn and many ideas to experiment with, some of it looks pretty complicated though, but they have flash animation to help explain.

When I first started I bought a DvD on diabolo tricks from Oddballs, and I gotta say it helps a bundle. Its the next best thing to actually having someone there talking you through it.

Hope that helps.
EDITED_BY: McAlpine (1169406972)

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

frer3BRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
That was the first site i found when I looked for tricks. I found alot of the tricks complicated at first, but some of them are doable... As for my ciabolo being messed up, EEEEEEEEKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (btw i've had trouble landing easy catches that i used to be able to do really well...)

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
You should check the screws inside your cones, if they are loose the whole diabolo will wobble and constantly tilt. But other than that and keeping your hands parallel/in line I don’t know how to fix your problem :-\

The best way to catch is to point your tapping-hand's stick straight up at the diabolo as it is falling. Much like catching when playing baseball - just point your stuck underneath it, it should land on the string near your pointed stick and roll on down the diagonal. Which is when you should loosen the string you stop it form bouncing off again. The “Pointing your stick” catching method will let you catch a Diabolo no matter how high you throw it. wink

As for tricks..

I am no professional, but I know plenty of tricks and can perform many. I could sit here for ages writing them all down.. and I know some people who could sit here even longer. tongue

But it is easier to show these tricks than to explain them in words. Some tricks are very simple, yet are hard to put into writing..

And as my video recorder is busted I can’t really make any quick videos for you. frown

Try some orbits, such as over-the-leg, over-the-arm, over-the-waste

Climbing the string requires a lot of speed, it is very easy, and looks great. All you do is coil your dominant hand’s string over the axle and pull down to create a vertical line, and the Diabolo will run straight up the string!

The Whip, the Arm Scoop-to-Cradle, and the Around the neck are my personal favourites… but they are a bit tricky to explain. I will try and fix my camcorder for ye sir.

Once you get the hang of it though, you can event many of your own tricks – the Diabolo is only limited by your imagination… and gravity.

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

frer3BRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
Orbits aren't my strong point... I've tried them before, but I can't pull one off.

idamSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
i would also watch "diabology" a dvd made by mr babache, more tricks than you could throw a stick at.

p.s. when throwing diablo sticks throw both, otherwise the string bit can almost seem elastic which you quickly realise when your first stick is aproaching your face at great speed.

happy spinning. smile smile

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Over the leg orbits are quite easy compared to the others at beginner level.

When you are trying them, lean with your back against a wall. This will allow you to concentrate on the trick, and not on keeping your balance. Once you can do it like that, try it without leaning on anything.

When orbiting around the leg, the Diabolo should be thrown from the left side, over the leg, and caught on the right side. Once on the right side it will travel along the string under your leg by itself to be tossed again to the other side. It is not a powerful throw, its is more like you are gently passing it over to the over side.

Keep the string against the bottom part of your leg. when the diabolo lands, its weight will carry it underneath your outstretched leg with no problem. Just make sure to keep the string touching the underneath of your leg whenever the diabolo is in the air.

And remember the string is in a sort of "U" or a "V" shape, and not in a complete straight line like a trampoline.

I really need a video camera!! : )

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

miestamember
101 posts

Posted:
diabology rocks! goto diabolo.ca
theyll set you right.