SoverntearSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
hi all, thanks for looking. I started making my poi's last night (double loop made from hockey skate laces) so far ive gotten spinning (nothing behind the back yet) and a basic butterfly for my moves list. impressive i know lol. weavesmiley so im wondering what moves should i try for next? i was thinking a 2 beat weave isolation and possibly a low turn? let me knwo what you think and any tips would be great

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
turns would be great to learn, high, low fast and slow, butterfly and weave variations... if you can turn in any direction irrespective of where and how your poi are moving, your doing well. basic tangles and airwraps are fun to, also throws smile good luck

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
yup, sadly i've never learned how to turn and continue to head in straight lines smile

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I think working on fountains might help that..

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

3,556 posts

Posted:
ack something else i still need to get down and make recognizable

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

SoverntearSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
turns, i figured someone would say that, im finding them really hard to get down, im going int he order they are listed in the lessons section. im going to work on the low turn tonight and a gaint butterfly, if i can get those next is a 2 or 3 beat weave

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Just remeber that when you turn 180, the poi will be spinning in the other direction in relation to you. ie, the poi are always spinning in the same direction, you're just turning so that they feel they are going in the other direction than before. To do low turns, make sure both the poi sweep past your feet whilst you turn. To do a high turn they sweep over your head, make sure the poi stay together when you do this.

Once you've got turns in all 4 directions, try learning a 2 beat weave. Learn it forwards first. Notice which hand crosses over the top and try doing the 2 beat weave with the other hand over the top. Learning this will make the 3 beat weave a lot easier to learn.

Then try learning the 2 beat backwards, don't worry if you find this hard at first, it can take many people a while to get thier head round this.

Then try linking forwards weave into a backwards weave by doing a turn.

I strongly reccomend you find someone who can do poi to help you get the basics, it makes learning 5 times faster when you've got someone there, telling you whats going wrong and how to correct it.

Good luck, and stick with it. It can take a lot of practice to get some moves, but its worth the satisfaction when you start to link them together.

And don't forget to wiggle your hips! wink

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
If you get stuck on the turns, I found using 1 poi at a time helped when I was learning (and a couple of hours hard core practice biggrin)
Do the movement (example left hand) with 1 poi over and over for a bit. Get used to the way your arm moves. Then do the same with the other hand. Then put them together.
Dont' worry if you have to so this a few times you'll get there smile

Are you up for it?
wink;)

SoverntearSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
pricklyleaf great advice, im printing that out right now. now i just wish i could find someone who does poi in london ontario.

fire, ill give that a try

SoverntearSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
only info i can find is for the 3 beat weave nothing on the 2beat, any tips?>

3,556 posts

Posted:
think figure eight either in front or behind you

Faith

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
Spin same time, same direction circles, then cross your arms so the circles are over the other side of your body and then bring them back.

Then try it with split time, same direction circles.

So yes, as Faith says, it's a figure 8, or a 2 beat weave. You'll find that you tend to have 1 hand leading both on the cross and the uncross, so practise with one hand leading, then the other.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

SoverntearSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
lol now i feel dumb, but goos tips, ive almost got the low turn down now, thanks people

kazmanBRONZE Member
16 posts

Posted:
What I found helped me was once you've got a few basic moves, just try going into different moves, turning whenever, seeing what your poi do and trying to add something onto that, try add a wrap or something in between. Like butterfly then wrapping one poi on your arm making it change direction and going into weave then, (Was the only example i could think of)

Good luck

Practise makes Poi-fect :P

SoverntearSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
UPDATE: i have learned the 2 beat weave today at work, low turn is still causing me some troubles

3,556 posts

Posted:
i never really got that one

Faith

SoverntearSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
low turns are hell, any more tips on them? but i think i have the 3 beat now.

3,556 posts

Posted:
people always told me try one at a time

Faith

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
Have you checked out the free lessons provided on the site?

https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/3_8_18

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

adrenalinenewbie
18 posts

Posted:
what worked 4 me was learning the basics first before starting with butterflies and 3 bt weaves. try to realice that 1 poi is been followed by the other poi, thats how i started to concentrate on my performance weavesmiley check out the free lessons.

i think you got to make your own style ubbidea ubbidea cool

Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny. - Frank Outlaw

meltingBRONZE Member
journeyman
76 posts

Posted:
i learnt the basics, i thought i was hard core but then when i turned the music on i was un-coordinated.

turn the music up and dance it also turns it in to a workout but it lots of fun

are you gonna drink that?

mike_jugglesSILVER Member
Controversial Penguin
8 posts

Posted:
Def learn turns. High and low. Learn the 3 beat weave, backwards and forwards. ummm....reels and fountains are fun! Work on your isolations as well. Another tip is that no matter what move you're working on, always learn that move from both sides. So if you are right handed then work more on leading with the left hand.
Flowers are really fun too~!
Keep practicing always. weavesmiley

If you wanna push then I'm ready to push, but if you're pullin' while I'm pushin' then why'd you ask me to push?