CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
Sorry if this has been discussed before. I did search twice, then got bored with the amount of times people have said "Make a staff using a broomstick."

So, last night I made myself a "contact broom". cool

(One of those double headed broom things, with a lovely self fusing silicone tape grip.)

I found it far harder to staff with, due to the huge amount of rolling momentum and inertia it has.

(It doesn't want to roll much, and once rolling it doesn't want to stop, or change direction of roll.)

I figured out that steves need the extra beat on the back of the neck, (and one on the chest) so that the roll is kept going in the direction of travel. I havn't tried one-beat steves, but assume these would work fine as they are.

Has anyone any other tips for "converting" contact staff moves to contact broom? Or, has anyone discovered anything you can do with a broom, that you can't do with a staff? (Apart from sweeping up.) wink

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
tips:

learn fei cha (you might have to go to china for this)

watch jive's section on the in isolation DVD.

It's all about the roll! (otherwise, it is just a contact staff...)

Make it up as you go along. (most fun)

otherwise:

What is this silicone tape you speak of?

and why the hell doesn't it roll? are the ends too heavy? Mine really wants to keep rolling once it's started, due to the ends being far far too heavy. But it's a bit slow to start rolling. why o why did I choose the heaviest wooden natural fibre broom ends in homebase?!?!? oh well. Or maybe it's the grip, I found mine a bitch to roll until I gripped it.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

klodeoBRONZE Member
24 posts

Posted:
oh paul, god bless your experimentative antics. ooh, and your cotton socks as well. up to much this wknd? wouldnt mind a spin on ur broom like smile

even if you win the race, you're still a rat...

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
@Meg: Yep, the ends are really heavy, so it's really slow to get going/ change direction, and like you say never wants to stop. (I've only just worked out you cant change the direction of roll. Why fight it? Go with the flow!)
The Silicone tape is used for sealing outdoor electrics, waterproofing stuff, etc. I got a 3 m roll from Wilkinsons for £2.99 and was delighted to find it stretches 300% and amalgamates with itself on contact. (Which means if you get a crease whilst wrapping it's there forever.) But once you're done it's an almost seamless, incredibly thin layer of silicone, that will not creep, peel, or move in any way. And it's REALLY grippy. Dunno if it'll stay that grippy for long, and it might not be great if the flame touches it, even though it says it's working temperature is between -50 and 250 degrees C.

@ Klodeo: Oh Claudio, you can play with my broom anytime you like, (bless your little Brazilian, natural hemp fiber, skipped socks) I'll probably be over this weekend. Maybe tonight. (If the wife lets me.)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Sounds like this self vulcanising rubber tape someone gave me a roll of. Supposedly it gets like goo when hot and covered in paraffin, ie: super grippy. I dunnoe in industry the names they give things are weird, it could be the same stuff. Certainly as grippy as well used inner tube, and I haven't used it with fire yet... thou supposedly makes your hands super black afterwards...

er yeah. broomstick's: heavier isn't better kids!

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
https://www.kalimex.co.uk/section.html?secpath=01.13.&pgid=22

It's a bit like this stuff, but had a plastic backing. (Mind you, this might, it's a bit of a poo pic of it.)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yeah, sounds like the same stuff.

Also found spray on rubber and stuff named: spray on grip. Ought to be interesting... biggrin

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Your Contact Broom was bloody heavy Meg! Nearly broke my back doing helicopters! eek

Good job Yakummo was on hand to dish out back-straightenings and massages... wink

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Someone say Broom?

wink

*cough*

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Someone say *bump*... I reckon it's a nice idea for some funny performance footinmouth help

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I was doing contact mop the other day biggrin fishtails halos and jesuses are all doable (luckily the mop head had a plastic cover so the dangly bit don't get in the way, makes it like Bastls off centre fishtail staffs

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Jus tthought I'd throw this in......

Contact golf club. I wrapped some double sided tape about 5-6 inches long near the balance point, Fishtails are easily done, still trying to figure out duck outs, good luck with those steves lol.

P.S.
EXTREMLY painful when it hits you.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Live_in_a_spinBRONZE Member
Dude where's my Poi?
383 posts

Posted:
Well as we're a bit off topic while at work i tend to find myself absent mindedly spinning my spirit level.
Mind you it has given me the idea for a tool based routine with some brick / trowel juggling and a bit of freestyle wheelbarow thrown in for good mesure.

Live life in a spin!!!
but if you fall don't come crying to me!!!

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Live_in_a_spin

....a bit of freestyle wheelbarow thrown in for good mesure.

think chimaera got there ahead of you

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Pyroflow did it at the first play... but It's all 2 bags anyway lol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.