Page:
garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
Ok this has been mentioned in a few theads..

One night after far to much to drink Sandy, Tim(T&B) and Garthy with help from matt(the boy g) invented a poi card game.

We played it in edinburgh with a few people.

Its quite a bit of fun but very very geeky biggrin

The instructions are here on my site.

There were going to be downloadable card sets to print out play with but we're slack.

https://garthy.webfactional.com/wiki/PoiGame/

It's not really played to win more to look stupid and attempt silly poi moves. biggrin

There is also a pictionary version that Oli thought of which you take a random amount of cards from the pack (2-5) and do the move that fits the parameters of the cards and people have to guess what the move is. biggrin

Enjoy.. biggrin

EDITED_BY: garthy (1168563684)

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
it looks fun! bounce bounce2 lolsign

but confusing! eek confused rolleyes

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
Hehe, looks awesome! Gotta love that header too,

'Garthy.com
Not that good...'

Genious smile

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
If it was a drinking game I wouldn't last the first round!

It was fun! Was pleased that I managed to do all the moves required! (Though thank God the game ended before I had to put down my 'Style: Clean' card tongue)

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
 Written by: 87wt2gxq7

Wickedo!

I know it's a bit early in the morning for this suggestion, but what the hey it's Friday: Poi Card DRINKING Game! Exactly like the card game 'cept if you can't do the move, you have to imbibe.

Biased towards more experienced spinners perhaps? Well yes... if you count staying sober as winning wink

I'll write the comments section for the wiki so it actually works and you can leave comments underneath. Then people can add there ideas....

Strip poi game would be fun to athough the problem is maybe not that fun with Me, Tim, Sandy and Oli......ubblol

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I think you should have a "twice" special card, which means you have to do the move or sequence twice. (to make sure it's not a fluke)

and maybe a "reverse" card, which means (once a link card has been played) that the players have to do the sequence in reverse.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Uno poi.

We are making cards tomorrow for next Tuesdays spin. Whoot.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
Poi the game is the only reason I ever spin poi now

it's hilarious, the amusement value of watching someone's face contort as the try to work out how to do an under the leg hug anti-spin butterfly.

the joy of being pushed up to do an atomic quartertime hybrid and the inevitable arguement as to weather it was quartertime or hybrid (it's usualy atomic).

It really makes you realise whats possible.

And who could forget the almoust boundless pleasure of watching Tim hit himself in the balls?

indeed it's worth picking up some poi just to play.
EDITED_BY: Mascot (1168604642)

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
 Written by: garthy

if you hit Sandy the move is deemed successful and play moves onto the next player.

Thanks for leaving that one in Garthy :slap:

The downloadable cards will be online by the end of today.

"Don't do it naked!"

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Ok the cards are online now at

www.inspinerate.com/poithegame.php

i did some little stick man illustrations for each move, they arnt that good but i think they get the idea across.

I couldnt work out how to put them into 1 pdf so you have to download all 5 pages individually

"Don't do it naked!"

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
WONDERFUL!
in one word WONDERFUL!!!!

I wont to play with it!!!!

An I wait for the wibble add-on by oli!!!!

Thanx a lot for this!!!!!!

Acciaio

p.s.
after the wibble add-on I will try to think at contact :P

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
I've added comments to the wiki now so you can comment on the page.

I look forward to some addons... biggrin

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
And fair play sandy those cards are wicked! biggrin

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Version, magic the gathering comming soon.

Stay tuned more to come,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
that game sounds brilliant smile
it reminds me of two things:
- a thread by bluecat where he was proposing that you take X moves and you try to randomly sequence them as quickly as possible
- uberpoi battle by glass

I reckon we should play this at uberparis

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Only one question. Say I begin, i play a card then I have to do that move no ? If I don't succeed i pick up the card. However if I succeed the card stays there and the next player plays his or her card and then he has to do the combined two cards, right ?

Just so I understand it correctly... the alternative beeing. All players play each a card. Then the first one playing does whatever comes up.

So.. which one ??

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Suggestion for cards:

Imitate : Imitate the movement of one of the players while doing the move.

Mirror : Discard all cards laid out on the table, but do the same movement as last player.

Body Position : Laying down, Standing up, Kneeling, Unbalanced, Other more acrobatic positions ?
EDITED_BY: Mireneye (1170366244)

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Mireneye: the game can be whatever you want it to be. The rules we stuck on there are just the suggested ones we came up with while messing about with the idea. In our version the moves are cumulative so with each go the move gets more difficult untill someone cant do the move and they pick up all the cards.
We have found with this version that the game can get a bit long and when someone eventually picks up the cards there are usually loads to pick up.

I dont understand what you mean by imitate the movement of the players while doing the move. You have to do the same move the last person did anyway but with one more card added so whats the difference?
The body position idea is cool though, we thought of adding it before but i caouldnt be arsed to do any more cards by that point so figured id do them later. Might just add some blank cards to the download so peple can add their own ideas.

"Don't do it naked!"

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
we've been playing the game with Olivier/AlphaLight & some paris spinners ...
great stuff .. I'll feedback u with the questions soon
very nice game anyway

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
By Imitate I mean, say the last player and the current player stands up. And The one who's supposed to do the move must in addition to doing the move of the cards, Also follow the rough body motion of this other player.

An example:

Three cards on teh table:
Wall plane, Isolation, Imitate

So, the current player played the Imitate card, so now he must imitate the movement of another player. Suggesting the one who played the Isolation card. Both stand up and the last player does a movement that your supposed to do, in addition to Wallplane isolations.

Clear ??

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
kinda, do you mean the person who is to be imitated does an action, say for example nods their head while doing a wall plane isolation and the next player must also then do this?

"Don't do it naked!"

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Exactly. I thought it would be cool, since it would allow you to really research your limits and also get an idea of what is possible. A nod with the head was a bit on the nice side I guess =)

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Had to show people, me and a friend playing to pass time, and I had to perform a very technically silly move, luckily the sketchy card was kind of a saver...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uGm-OUp-TA

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaandy!!!!!!!!!!!!11

we remade the rules at the weekend, and it was awesome.

and sandy promised to post them, and update the website......

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
OOOooOOOO....

is waiting

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Ok Ok Ok, ive done it smile

Like Rob says, we re-did the poi game, its a lot more fun now. There are a couple of changes to the cards so that some moves dont clash and more plane and timing cards.

The Poi Game Rules Version 2.0

- All cards are dealt out between players (there are 40 cards so it works nicely with 4 players but can be played with any number)

- Order of play is irrelevant, it will make no difference to the scoring.

- It doesn’t matter if your opponents see your cards either, it’s if you can do the move or not.

- The object of the game is to gain the highest score by pulling off a move with the highest possible number of cards.

- Cards of the same colour cannot be played in the same move.

- Scoring goes; 1, 2, 4, 7, 11, 16, 22, 29, 37 so a 4 card move is worth 7 points, a 7 card move is worth 22 points etc.

- Each player gets 3 attempts to succesfully pull off the move, if they fail after 3 attempts then the number of cards in their move is deducted from their score.

- Judging must be fairly strict. Did you really pull off that behind the head polyrhythm antispin? or did you sort of flail around a bit? Being at least mostly in plane is important!

- If a player fails to do their move, they keep the cards and can attempt a different (or the same) combination next go (unless the player really can’t do that move, in which case they must attempt it once and then discard the card without gaining any points from it)

- Once everyone has played all their cards the score is counted up and highest score wins. This can be a bit quick and sometimes unfair to the dealer if the cards don’t evenly share between the players so playing to 100 or 150 makes it a bit more interesting.

And the cards:

PDF direct download

The poi game v2.0 pdf

Zipped JPG's direct dowload

The poi game v2.0 jpg

Let us know wht you think smile

"Don't do it naked!"

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
so, a few inaccuracies there: here ya go:

Written by: -sandy-

- Scoring goes; 1, 2, 4, 7, 11, 16, 22, 29, 37 so a 4 card move is worth 7 points, a 7 card move is worth 22 points etc.

it is actually 1,3,6,10.15,21,28,36... don't know where you got that from, sandy...

Written by:

- Each player gets 3 attempts to succesfully pull off the move, if they fail after 3 attempts then the number of cards in their move is deducted from their score.

- Judging must be fairly strict. Did you really pull off that behind the head polyrhythm antispin? or did you sort of flail around a bit? Being at least mostly in plane is important

furthermore, you must actually do it in three moves - you can't have a couple of attempts, think about it, then say, 'ok , here are my three goes'. just get up and do it. this means it may not be entirely sensible to just go for something ridiculously hard - play sensibly at first.

Written by:

- If a player fails to do their move, they keep the cards and can attempt a different (or the same) combination next go (unless the player really can’t do that move, in which case they must attempt it once and then discard the card without gaining any points from it)

not only this, but they are penalised a number of points equal to the number of cards they were attempting to play - i.e. a failed 4 card move= 4 pts from your score.

and to clarify the second part of that point... :

if you can't do, for example, 'antispin' you must attempt to play the card once (cause you never know), and then you may discard it at no penalty.

the game is really simple, has a little bit of personal interpretaition, and is not always obvious who is going to win. and beware the 'clean' card ubblol

enjoy...
EDITED_BY: bluecat (1193398649)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bluecat

Written by: -sandy-

it is actually 1,3,6,10.15,21,28,36... don't know where you got that from, sandy...

you look like you need a bit of fibonacci...

0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377, 610, 987...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Spent today printing pasting and cutting like a school kid so we can play next week. biggrinThanks hug hug
Would be nice if the rules fitted nicer onto one page with having to mess with them.

Is it the Truth?

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
ok ill sort all those things out. Bit busy at the mo but will find time later.

"Don't do it naked!"

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i can't wait to play again. bring a coupla sets with you next week, sandy?

Page: