Forums > Social Discussion > Home "remedies" when coming down with cold

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I put "remedies" because I know it isn't a remedy. I know they are symptomatic treatments.

All day today I've felt icky. It started mild with a scratchy throat and a stuffy nose and it's progressed to where I am just waiting for the Nyquil to kick in.

So, in the mean time what do you do?

My gran used to have me take honey mixed with thyme (which contains anti-inflammatory) and cayanne (clears sinuses) and let it dissolve under the tongue. It worked, but only for a short time. (I think I've figured out how to make cough drops out of it though).

Mint tea with lemon too helped.

And ginger beer. That settled the tummy, cleared the sinues and soothed the throat. It's nice.

What did/have ya'll used?

(and yes Mike, I still stand by my decision to not get the flu shot wink )

EDITED_BY: Pele (1168217254)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
i use echinacea to prevent colds, and lots of vitamin C: especially orange juice.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

tillymoomember
107 posts

Posted:
i have an amazing recipe for herbal tea: spear or peppermint, echinecea, licorice root, lemongrass and rosehips.

i buy all the ingredients seperately and combine to taste. the lemongrass is fairly strong so you don't need much and the licorice gives a lovely sweetness so you don't need to add any sweetner. i always put as much echinecea in as possible as it is good for both short and long term immunity. it is also really pleasent luke warm, so you can make up a whole teapot and just keep sipping

i had toncillitis last year, and from the first sip i felt the swelling subside the pain lessen. it is amazing.

ginger is really good for you, and it also a 'hot' food - will warm you from the inside, or you can boil up quite a bit for abour 15 minutes in lots of water then tip it into a hot bath to get you reallly warm.

hope this helps - having a cold is no fun.

"A Thnead's a fine thing that all people need"
Dr Suess

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Ya, this last one is the classic Chinese ginger bath.

Normally it is important for health to take a cold shower after a hot bath or shower; doing this will pretty much eliminate you ever getting colds.
But if you have caught one, have a good soak in the ginger bath and then wrap yourself up and allow yourself to sweat heaps. Simulates a fever/raised body temp which is the body's own way of killing off viruses.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
vast quantities of garlic, preferably raw (traditional italian cold relief ubblol )

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
for sore throats my family always used hot lemon drinks with a spoonful of honey

Are you up for it?
wink;)

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Gargling with asperin soothes your throat, or lemon water with a spoon of glycerine - don't use if you have a mucousy cough.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
ive been a fan of ginger / lemon / honey tea since miss moon pixie made some for me when i had tonsilitis (while traveling) last year

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bluecat

vast quantities of garlic, preferably raw (traditional italian cold relief ubblol )

Indeed, have vast quantities of garlic THEN a ginger bath.

(Give all your housemates a ticket to the movies the night you do it)

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
the >18 version:

1 part whiskey
1 part lemon juice
a spoonful of honey
some cinnamon or other spices of your choice

heat it up and drink it smile

yummy!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Blanket, film, whiskey mixed into hot chocolate.

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

the >18 version:

1 part whiskey
1 part lemon juice
a spoonful of honey
some cinnamon or other spices of your choice

heat it up and drink it smile

damd......beaten to itubblol i was going to suggest "hot toddies"

yummy!

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
Airborne! It tastes SO god awful, so I mix mine in a shot glass and shoot it as fast as I can, like belting back Popov (bleh). It's all sorts of vitaminy goodness to help boost your immune system.

If it's the sniffles, I put a little bit of diluted Eucalyptus oil under my nose, or sniff from the bottle, to clear the sinuses.

For a tummy ache, a roommate of mine who had Khrone's insisted on peppermint tea to settle things down.

I've always heard "feed a cold, starve a fever," but I never really got much of a chance to test that one out.... sorry, but I like food too much.

However, my personal favorite remedies are Berenjager or warmed honey meade for a sore throat. I'm not really sure if they actually work, but at least you don't care about the sore throat for a while after administering!

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
OOooh...warm honey meade! Yummy! biggrin

I read a report recently that said there is no scientific basis for the "feed a cold/starve a fever" and that deprivation of food is never helpful for our bodies. Though I, like you, love my food too much to attempt it Kathain. wink So then reading that article just gave me an excuse to not bother. wink

I was told that the ginger bath is to be used as a cleansing to remove toxins from the body but not along with illness because if you have a fever and cause your temperature to go up higher, it's not healthy. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, just how I learned to do it. smile

I slept 14 hours. I'm still exhausted and am thinking of trying some of the teas when I realised, you know what sucks?

Alot of these home remedies require work, which sucks rocks when you don't feel like rolling over, let alone making stuff.

Any that don't require a load of work...or me getting up? wink

Off to make tea.

Pele

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
nasal decongestants always do the trick for me. Spray it up each nostril, and breathe your way back to health smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Nonkymember
44 posts

Posted:
Whiskey, sleep, whiskey, sleep, whiskey, sleep (for about 3 days usually)

hehe

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
I make a foul concoction of honey, grated fresh ginger, lemon juice and cayenne. It can be taken neat or in nettle tea. It certainly makes you think twice about being ill! I have a theory that the nastier it is, the better it is for you wink

A maceration of horseradish in cider vinegar is very good for stuffy head colds.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Kash, please, please, please tell me that you don't drink the horseradish in cider vinegar! eek
ewwwwwwwwww.

Pele

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
usually the more hideous the medicine, the more effective it is!

(it's a shame the nicer the food is, the worse for you it is as well!)

sod's law, ay?!! ubblol

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Nonky

Whiskey, sleep, whiskey, sleep, whiskey, sleep (for about 3 days usually)

hehe

well....i didn't want to be the only one called a piss head but that is usually how i get over most illnesses.........get absolutley hammered ubblol

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jo_rhymes

usually the more hideous the medicine, the more effective it is!

(it's a shame the nicer the food is, the worse for you it is as well!)

sod's law, ay?!! ubblol

Cod Liver oil. help

Gran made me take it once, and my reaction was...well...akin to pyrotechnics and I never had to take it again. But...I felt better! lol

And green death nyquil, well and most over the counter meds. I should think with all the flavourings in the world they would be able to make it taste better somehow. Don't you? confused

Pele

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
i used to love banana flavoured penicillin as a kid! biggrin

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jo_rhymes

i used to love banana flavoured penicillin as a kid! biggrin

Never even heard of that!

We have bubble gum flavored amoxicillin (sp??) which is still yummy even if they don't give it to adults anymore frown

One "home remedy" I found to be careful of...chamomile or any of the flower based ones. My mom is *very* allergic to pollen and once had a cup of tea someone gave her for a "cold" and it sent her into an asthmatic fit.

Ooohh...tangerine/orange tea with honey. I think I've fallen in love.

Has anyone tried that powder stuff..ummm...it's a fizzy drink full of vitamin C...can't remember the name. Comes in little packets like Kool-aid. Just add water. Ring a bell?

I have some but am afraid to try it (though now would be the time since my taste buds are off, right? wink )
EDITED_BY: Pele (1168294880)

Pele

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
like Lemsip? If so, I don't like it, but that's just me.

My dad used to make us magical tea with camomille, peppermint, yasmine and fennel. That was so weird that we believed it HAD TO work. Though now that I've told you, the placebo effect won't work for you I expect. Hmmmmm... wink

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
my mum is a herbalist and she makes me magical "potions" with herbs from her garden.

Once my friend was so ill he had a fever, and was dizzy and felt really sick.

He drank a litre of my mum's potions and felt much better! I think it's mainly lemon, thyme, sage and honey.

tillymoomember
107 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

Cod Liver oil. help

Gran made me take it once, and my reaction was...well...akin to pyrotechnics and I never had to take it again. But...I felt better! lol

i LOVED cod liver oil capsules as a kid. those and garlic oil ones. i used to pop them in my mouth and reek of it for hours!

"A Thnead's a fine thing that all people need"
Dr Suess

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Capsules? Oh see I had it poured all thick and weird smelling into her giant metal spoon and poured down my throat.
"Will fix anything!" she would say.
Ugh! Would fix it because I was so afraid of having to take it that I pretended to be well! ubblol

So uh...did your friends sit close to you in lunch? tongue

My friend just called and told me to rub my stomach with lemon oil.
Anyone ever heard that one before?

Pele

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
sore throat? ice dream smile

sniffy, depressed, nothing to do but watch tv? red wine!

but my overall fav has to be masturbation, even when your feeling really awfull, there is something you can do to feel a bit better.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
hot water, lemon juice, fresh grated ginger (use a tea ball or something so you can get the bits out after it's brewed a little if they bother you), unprocessed brown sugar.

and if you need a bit of a sedative chuck in a bit of whisky.

I've heard similar before, ginger is always recommended it's great stuff, but this one specifically was told to me by a brilliant Japanese seitai osteopath, and ex kyokushin champ smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

Kash, please, please, please tell me that you don't drink the horseradish in cider vinegar! eek
ewwwwwwwwww.

Am I allowed to lie wink Actually it's not really a drink, it's a paste, you hold it in your mouth as long as you can bear it then swallow, and it clears your head straightaway.

A nicer option is to have a bit of suchi with plenty of wasabi - I prefer that one.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Kash eek Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Speaking of wasabi...

We had chinese tonight for dinner. I had ginger/garlic/bean sauce and also some wasabi. Now, normally I can't eat the sauce because it's too potent for me and only teeeeeeeny bits of wasabi.

Nothin.
I could barely taste it.
My sinuses laughed at it.
My mouth burned inside but nothing else budged.

That ain't right.

Pele

Page: