• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Discussion > Your nickname, and you, your feelings and your friends!

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 12345
Yakumo
SILVER Member since May 2006

Yakumo

veteran

Total posts: 1237
Posted:I've been using Yakumo for games, and online since I was 15, so.. lets just say over 10 years now wink

I never really particularly liked or felt attached to the nicknames I'd been called by others at school etc.

I'd felt at the time, it's not the nick that counts, it's what you make of it, choose something you like, and make it yours.

I chose Yakumo on a whim, I needed something, and didn't want to use my real name to play a game, I quite liked it and liked the character I took it from, it was years later I found out it's true meaning (eight clouds) which I also liked, but don't really feel it represents me any more. I really beleive in 'make it yours' but right now I guess I feel it's a little out of place, for the first time I feel perhaps it's not right for me, and where I'm going (wherever that may be..) and maybe I should try something a little different, I still sometimes attach 'unr' (from my old quake2/3 clan) to the end of it if 'Yakumo' is an unavailable choice, or if something requires a surname, but that is really a life I've long left behind now.

<edit: ok, much as I'd like to deny it sometimes that whim was largely based on 'Yakumo' from an anime called 3x3eyes, I liked the character, though I wish he'd opened his eyes, he made me laugh, and kept dying in stupid ways and respawning so seemed very apt for the game I was about to play with my friends (doom or Quake 1 I forget), I also liked how protective he was of Pai, I feel that way about those I care for too>

So that brings us to this topic, how did you chose your nick, how long have you used it? have you/do you change it? are you happy with it still? do you feel it represents you?

And to make more of a conversation of it,or if you don't want to talk about yourself, please comment if you can on how you feel about the nicks of other posters in this thread, (or any other HoP'er) and how well you feel their nick represents them smile

maybe I just feel I need a real, complete fresh start, bundled in with thoughts of maybe finally leaving where I've lived for 7 years. But with Spinners is where I want to stay smile

EDITED_BY: Yakumo (1168351104)

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Delete Topic

Yakumo
SILVER Member since May 2006

Yakumo

veteran

Total posts: 1237
Posted:yeah, Nate not only made the critical error of changing his name after everyone had got to know him by it, but.. in a far worse fassion, he change it to something longer, and harder to say!

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Delete

georgemc
BRONZE Member since Oct 2006

georgemc

Sitting down facing forward . . .

Total posts: 2387
Posted:mine's ever so boring, but figured if I'm supposed to be someone "official", my HoP name should be my real name, but George was already taken so added first part of my surname too.

Most of my earlier nicknames have come from mispronunciation of my surname McNeur (mick-newer) but of course the "manure" and obvious less appealing versions came out too!

One nickname that stuck for ages and I got rather attached to was E.T. - it was attached to me before the Steven Spielberg movie came out (yeah I'm old!) and I always thought it fit me fairly well. How it attached to me is difficult to relate here, and how it stuck to me when it never stuck to any of the previous E.T.'s I don't really know but everyone seemed to think it was right, and then the movie came along and cemented it since I'm a little bit shorter than some and act a little "alien" too!

The only other name that I really had was "Keneu" when I was a Cub Leader. I chose it from the Jungle Book list of Leader names because it was the fighting eagle that was also known for running skills and since I had been associated with the Air Force and the Skyhawk fighter plane, AND I've run a bunch of marathons and other endurance events, I was quite taken with it. I still quite like that one as it was a darn good period of my life.

So, feel free to rename me - I good do with a change wink
George

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

Delete

Mr Majestik
SILVER Member since Mar 2004

Mr Majestik

coming to a country near you

Total posts: 4693
Posted: Written by: georgemc

So, feel free to rename me - I good do with a change wink
George

i shall name thee patsy! biggrin

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Delete

georgemc
BRONZE Member since Oct 2006

georgemc

Sitting down facing forward . . .

Total posts: 2387
Posted:I've seen that one - another cinematic classic!
fairy nuff, guess I asked for that!

patsy

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

Delete

Winged Avenger
SILVER Member since May 2005

Winged Avenger

The official Emma Peel wannabe

Total posts: 226
Posted: Written by: Neon_Shaolin

I remember that episode WA!!! It was the one where Emma Peel inexplicably wears a hat when she's walking on a ceiling wink and Steed beats up the bad guy with large comic panels with stuff like 'POW!' 'ZAP''WACK' painted on them - Batman-style! ubblol

Neon Shaolin - Hooray! A HoPper with great TV taste! biggrin

Gayle - honestly I don't know what you mean!

"Always keep your bowler on in times of stress and watch out for diabolical masterminds" - Emma Peel

Delete

Twiggy

Twiggy

Total posts: 162
Posted:The nick names given to me have mostly related to my skinnyness.
It started out with Ethi, (short for ethiopian), that became StickMan which i used online a lot for a while. Stickman then became Twiggy at the age of 16 and stuck ever since.

The alias i gave myself for gaming was Frenzy because it suits my playing style. Super agressive + Frantic.

The only other nickname i had for a while was Roy and i have no idea how they decided on calling me that. Neither did the guy that started it.

So.. Twiggy + Frenzy. Depending on what im doing.
smile

Delete

Skatto
GOLD Member since Jan 2007

Skatto

Walking on whims...

Total posts: 687
Posted:Some cool nicknames here. smile

I have a couple of nicknames.

Some were for gaming and the like.

I named my self "Swiss Cheese" for an FPS game which kinda stuck with me for a long time. The idea being that I was yellow (cowardly) and shot full of holes, (I.e. dead all the time.) tongue

Then I became Mr Pasta, as when I was short on cash I'd just buy huge packets of pasta. I used to waddle home with piles of pasta packets in my arms I ate that stuff a lot. biggrin Thats how that one came about, became a fun game-name.

Aside from gaming, I had other nicknames too.

"Mac" was one, as my middle name is McAlpine... but I dropped it after a while as every new acquaintance I made thought I was just pretending to be Mac from Greenwing because I have golden/ginger hair!!

Then there was simply Ginge or Ginger, but I lost that name when my friend Tom entered our group. I really am strawberry blonde you see, and Tom is a full fiery ginger... so he got that name! I wasn't really attached to that anyway though.

A few people call me clown-boy or unicycle-kid, not in an insulting manner, but simply because circus-hobbies around here in Eastbourne (Eastbourne being lab bled as Gods Waiting Room with a very small youth culture and full of very old people.) is quite rare. People were just genuinely interested I should point them to this website really. But that wasnt a real nickname, just something I got called every now and then.

Now I'm just Ryan biggrin Occasionaly called McAlpine.

Oh, and in games I tend to be called Nobby. That is very long story involving a board game, a tunnel, a lantern and a stick of dynamite. But it sounds a lot more interesting than it really is, so I wont ruin it. ^.^

EDITED_BY: McAlpine (1169500656)

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

Delete

db0
BRONZE Member since Apr 2007

db0

Total posts: 10
Posted:Db0 is an acronym for "Divided by Zer0".

I chose it after a long time using "Historian" (which comes from my surname) because it didn't represent me in any way.

A "Division by Zero" is a classic program execution error in older programming languages. Since I am a programmer by heart, it just felt right.
a division by zero, incidentally, equals Infinite. I did not think of that when I was choosing Db0 as my alias.

I also like 3 letter aliases. It means I can put them in high scores of arcades. Plus it's almost never taken. On the downside, some sites don't allow 3-letter aliases so I have to use Dbzer0 then.

Unfortunately, lately a music band has come out with the name db0. Fortunately, seaching for Db0 on Google returns me wink

As for real names. I never liked the fact that I didn't get a chance to choose mine.

Delete

Moka
GOLD Member since Jul 2005

Moka

is a medium/large scary man

Total posts: 420
Posted:Moka is short for my surname...
I had a grade 1 (or maybe 2) teacher on my first day of that year call my name for roll call... It went something like "Matthew Mok-Mok-Moka-Moka-Mokalottaletters..." at that point the entire class cracked up, he then said "Oh well, Moka will do" and it just stuck...

I love my nickname just because when I've introduced myself members of the opposite sex in the past, their usual response is "As in the coffee?..." which provided (and still would) a great segue way into "Wanna grab a coffee biggrin cool

Now I just hypnotize them with my Acrylic lol ubbloco

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

Delete

tiger_chic

tiger_chic

Total posts: 101
Posted:i get called tigger or spike at work and school but one of mi best m8s came up with tigerchic. probably coz i collect tiger toys and stuff like that.

..."LOOK at me, HERE I am, lllllooove me"... Luigi "Cars: The Movie."

Delete

darkness-before
GOLD Member since Apr 2007

darkness-before

Rock is dead, long live paper and scissors

Total posts: 197
Posted:Darkness before is short for darkness before the light. From an old song "the darkest hour is always just before dawn" and an old saying before that. Just came up with it when trying to invent an email address i would remember that would be easy for other folks too.
Everybody shortens it to darkness but that sounds dort of Goth/EMO which really isn't me.
Had loads of nicknames in school, Jonah, sonic, John boy, Tom, blink.... Noah was the only one that stuck Pepole from school still see me an say "hey Noah" an my other freinds are like what did he call you?
Darkness is just for the T'inter-net though.

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

Telepath wanted, you know where to apply.

Delete

jarle
GOLD Member since Mar 2007

jarle

Lv15 Ranger

Total posts: 1489
Posted:I'm sure you've heard the one about the neighbours newspaper, so I'll restrain myself.

Lesse, Jarle is kind of a long story, at least when you're typing. There's a (now old) game called Chrono Cross, and during the game you get a character dressed as a harlequin, or Harle for short (damn letter restrictions!). Anyways, I was lazy, and couldn't be bothered thinking up a cool name (I think I named the main character Wonky or something random) so I just substituted the H for a J, hence Jarle.

Other than that, people just call me by my name (either first or last) or recently by 'Gingerbeard' from my cousins. There's a prize for guessing where THAT one came from!

Kupo!

Delete

monserat
SILVER Member since Apr 2006

monserat

My flabber is gasted

Total posts: 737
Posted:I thought I'd put my explanation in here but can't see it, must've been in a PM to someone. Anyway...

My real name being Martin I get called Tin, Tinman, Chuz (short for Chuzzlewit) and Martian by various people. I also get called Cinders by a bloke in my local because he (jokingly) thinks I have an ugly sister.

monserat comes from when I was at school and was the first nickname I had that really stuck. It started off as a joke in French as monsiuer that became mon-sewer which in a play on my surname became mon-sewer cabball which, when someone noticed the similarity to the opera singer's name Montserrat Caball, became monserat. It's what I've used online since I was at college for pretty much everything although no-one really calls me it anymore, I think I may have outgrown it a bit now. Looking at the above list I'm starting to think that Chuz suits me better these days!

Chaos is the natural state of the universe

Some days I'm the pigeon, some days I'm the statue.

honourary militant margerine ninJAH

If it wasn't for displacement activity I wouldn't get half as much done

Delete

squid
BRONZE Member since Apr 2007

squid

sanguine

Total posts: 382
Posted:ooh, names huh?

sQuid is a tag I picked up back as a teen when I was running the streets and had a penchant for "picking up" anything I got my sticky fingers on. Im talking young kid stuff.

I kept it as I got older and started tagging it on walls and stuff to mark my realms. (I did not hang in conducive circles)

I dropped it for years until my last few years of university when my degree in fine arts prompted me to follow the transistion of art from the perspective of communication: hieroglyphs of Mayan, Aztec, and Egyptian to the development of language in character languages (Greek alphabet to Chinese character symbols) all the way to Lettrism of the 1970's and modern day Grafitti art.

That all led me back full circle to my past life and I picked up "squid" on paper and canvas to reconnect the symbolism of letters to the beauty of design.

This is when I started to capitalize the Q in sQuid to symbolize the "questioning" factor; the Quixotic nature of fate; the deliciously chocolate flavore of NesQuik, and any other associations I could find with "Q".

Overall, the squid represents to me how each tentacle of myself has delved into so many different aspects of life. (Especially my hobbies and toys!) I dabble in music, teach art full time, spin with religious zeal, and even tuck into a few kids card games like Magic:the Gathering and Yu-Gi-Oh. :P

sQuid just fits me. I didn't choose it per se. It just was like two fishies swimming in the same current for a while. We go together well. its been ...20 years now? Geez Im old.

oh, btw: I dont condone any of those activities from the first part. Im 32 now and have been blessed enough to make it away from that kind of situation. But there are some things (like this name) which can't be escaped. rolleyes

EDITED_BY: squid (1178921748)

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

Delete

Sethis
BRONZE Member since May 2005

Sethis

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1762
Posted:I'm Sethis on the net and at LAN events, it's a bastardization of the Egyptian god Set (Seth) and was the name of my first ever Diablo 2 character!

Plus I prefer it to my real name, but getting my name changed is just silly. Plus Sethis Gilbert doesn't have a good ring! biggrin

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Delete

Mynci
BRONZE Member since Apr 2005

Mynci

Macaque of all trades

Total posts: 8737
Posted:Neither does Mynci Broomfield ubblol long time no see sethis hug since falmouth last year in fact hope your well dude.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Delete

hazington

hazington

journeyman

Total posts: 51
Posted:My real names Harriet which then became Harry which my lovely sisters made into Barry which then became Baz, so then after a friend overheard i due to embarrassment said it was Haz which then another friend changed to Hazington. at the end of the day im stuck with Hazington, Bazington, Bazamataz, rat girl, weaseli and from my boyfriend baby bum i think im scared of my nick names.

Living is loving & Loving is Living
yet
Lying is Dying &
Dying can be Lying if you let it...

Delete

shocked_prawn
SILVER Member since Apr 2007

shocked_prawn

old hand

Total posts: 865
Posted:my realy name is robyn.... all my mates call me pidge, or pigeon... given to me cos of the way i walk.
i did however dub my best mate laura "lemon head" although everyone calls her sretch.
then theres toya - tich or the little emo
everyone else just tries to give themselve bad nicknames but it never really sitcks if you make them up yourself!

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

Delete

Twiggy

Twiggy

Posted:'The juggling man' is my latest one, from the kids next door. Bouncing on the trampoline to watch over the fence.

Delete

KittyKill

KittyKill

enthusiast

Total posts: 365
Posted:They name I use now is the most common My friend Ian and jess gave it to me jess called me kitty cause I always had my hair in two on the top of my head when I did wrestaling but the kill came in when one of ian's frind slap my behind and let him have one in the face and kill came to the end of it.

the other one I have is knightglory cause my name is Gloriajean knight and I thought it was fun

Have you ever notice that poi is spelled backwords on the key board.............................................creepycool

Delete

alien_oddity

alien_oddity

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 7193
Posted:in highschool i got called "bloomers" because of my last name, at work i got called "bundie" as in al bundie and on here i get called rave

Delete

Brenn
PLATINUM Member since Jun 2004

Brenn

Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.

Total posts: 3286
Posted:I carry two online names: 'Abaddon' and 'Brenn'

Abaddon i've used since high school in gaming circles, and 'Brenn' is a slight adaption of my own name which I tend to use in more role-playing type of games. As of late it now doubles as a performer/instructor/nickname smile

&#2384;

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Delete

pineapple pete
SILVER Member since Sep 2004

pineapple pete

water based

Total posts: 5125
Posted:yeah, i barely know brenn as anything other than brenn smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Delete

IgnisLeo
GOLD Member since Aug 2005

Total posts: 13
Posted:Hi!

Interesting thread about the meaning of nicknames. My real name is Oliver, but as I wanted to register with HoP to order some poi, I realized that I need a nick. Fine, it should have something to do with fire, but what else? So I came up with my star sign (leo), combined it with "ignis" for fire, and that's all behind the meaning of IgnisLeo wink.

Delete

mike_juggles
SILVER Member since Dec 2007

mike_juggles

Controversial Penguin

Total posts: 8
Posted:See, I could never understand choosing your own nickname. Nicknames to me are a name given to you by your friends or family that reflect a certain something about you, or were just a joke in the first place.

biggrin

If you wanna push then I'm ready to push, but if you're pullin' while I'm pushin' then why'd you ask me to push?

Delete

Mojojo
GOLD Member since Mar 2005

Mojojo

wandering dingo

Total posts: 167
Posted:This is a v. cool thread, love hearing all the stories!

btw I always thought of '87wt2gxq7' as 'code'

Have a friend who writes the LONGEST emails, and to try and out do her on a reply, about six of us at work wrote the longest email we could, pasted them all together, and still could not compete. In one of the six replies, a friend had referred to me as mojojojo. Signing up for some forum or other on the same day, tried username: mojojojo but it was taken, so shortened it to mojojo.

Mojojojo when spoken has that bouncy rhythm thing going on, but I quite like the way mojojo just sort of cuts off, no bouncy rhythm, and I like the three syllables.

Was always 'ferret' as a kid, but that has weasely smelly implications, even though I always said it was because I was small, cute, and highly intelligent!

Only three things are certain: Death, Taxes, and that England will not win back the Ashes in this lifetime.

Delete

Wooktastic
BRONZE Member since Jan 2007

Wooktastic

the kicker of elves

Total posts: 371
Posted:I have many nicknames. Some I like and some I'm not so fond of.
I'm Chewie, Sasquatch and Wookie because when I yawn I sound like Chewbacca (hence Wooktastic).
I'm the Eyeball Kid, but that's just a performance name.
Stephe the hat, because of my awesome hat.
Two of my closest friends have reffered to me as Aragorn and every other god damn name he is ever addressed as in the books because they apparently think I'm all noble and stuff, and, in Gwen's words "YOU SLEEP IN DITCHES!"
Gwen has also called me Qui-gon.
I got called Bulbasaur in an incident involving salvia.
I get called Wolfie and Puppy a lot.

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

Delete

fanged_angel
BRONZE Member since Jul 2007

fanged_angel

poiromaniac

Posted:i used to go by underscore35 (hence my email address) which came from a very elaborate incident involving some lycra, a vin diesel lookalike and a hell of a lot sand...
on HoP and everything else i signed up to post underscore35 and before last christmas i used fanged angel or fanged angel 666 or various variations of it this one came from my girlfriend and is because well lets try an keep things pg and just say i have an intrest in vampires wink
recently tho iv been using poiromaniac, (as in a combination of poi and pyromaniac) it arised on nye im not sure who made it up but somebody had changed the bluetooth name on my phone to poiromaniac and its sorta stuck. people who dont know my real name but have seen me spin fire often call me poiro which i quite like i think it suits me or atleast i hope it does.
i go by poiromaniac on xbox live and lots of americans cant pronounce it, might just be me but i thought it was pretty easy to annuciate.

(and i say lots of americans cant pronounce it not as a slur on intelligence or the fact they spell words different to us over here in blighty but because the majoirty of people i encounter online are american, or atleast the ones that bother to talk anyways smile)

Delete

hamamelis
BRONZE Member since Jan 2006

hamamelis

nut.

Total posts: 756
Posted:I don't really have a nickname.. I mean, no-one every uses my HoP one off here, and the fact I changed from one needlessly long strange word to another didn't help.

Well, unless you count 'Heather'- which isn't a nickname, it's just the name I get called at least once a week by random people who think that actually is my name, even though it is not, and has never been.. Never did figure that out, I've been called it by everyone from my old teachers to random friends since I was about 10.

The only other attempt at a nickname I've had was the unflattering 'Worzel' as in Gummidge, because I dressed like a tramp. That didn't last long though..

Though my dress sense has not improved.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

Delete

vlynx

Total posts: 8
Posted:i used to be on here as firelynx, but was offline for so long that the email i signed up with fell off the edge of the world.
i have had various usernames on various sites that are combinations of various words/names i like the sound of or words/names that have meaning for me. Some are combined to give a certain feel, usually reflective of my internal contradictions, like honeyfire (as i am on the eplaya), flavorswirl, sweetsharpcreamy, sugarblade, and so on.
I keep wanting to just use my actual name, but someone has usually beaten me to it.
SO i have stuff like the ones listed above and
puckgirl (hockey + Shakespeare)
tigerlily
lilybat
canadalynx
i almost used VenIce (like Venus, but with ice for hockey, plus Venice is a very cool place)
and
varadilynx, which shortened to vlynx
(varadi is, for me, a hockey reference, for about 5 minutes i was Varadi42, referent to 42 Varadi Ave, Brantford, Ontario, the childhood home of The Great One, Wayne Gretzky, semi-arguably the best pro hockey player ever).

And this is just some of my screen names.
I won't even go into my acoustic nicknames... *snork*

Delete

Page: 12345